blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Rookie's Fantasy
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rookie's Fantasy  (Read 224670 times)
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

OMG.  Had no idea.  I'm so sorry Lads.  xx  

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1186 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »

Really sad news. 

RIP

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 16, 2009, 12:20:06 AM »

Just watched that video and it bought tears to my eyes.

Matt

Me too. So gutted for you all. Trying to think of something good to say but I've been sat here for five minutes and can't find the right words. I've been there myself, and know that you watch them grow from babies, learn their silly ways then take great pride in them when they run and watching that video and listening to the cheers are great memories.

RIP Rodders

I still can't speak about it - I'm sure i will in time - but at the moment I'm a mess whenever his name is mentioned.

I had 2 baby boys and now have none. Each brought so much to my life, in the short time I had with them, and to lose them both in such quick succession is devastating.

Rod was one of a kind - even if he was a bigger drama queen than me - but he had the best "smile" ever - it was the cheekiest grin especially when he was pushing his luck - and i can't wait to think of him and and genuinely appreciate the memories.

RIP Rodders  143
trafficjam

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 16, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »

R.I.P.

I must refrain from falling in love with my hole cards!
Micko

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 16, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

So sad. We grow so attached to the dogs its hard to take when they pass.

turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: September 16, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »

when you've fed, watered and walked this dogs from 10 weeks old until they went off to the trainers at 18 months . when you've cleaned out there living accomodation.nursed them when unwell, watching them grow. you certainly get attached i can tell you!

when ive been involved in greyhounds in the past we have bought the greyhound and sent it straight to the trainer, yes you get attached but not the same as we have with rod and cass. they are pets just like your dog or cat at home.

rooks, ling and myself as well as the rest my family shared the above parts of rodneys life. seeing rodney win his first race on his debut was my greatest and proudest day ever in my years in greyhound racing. when he won his 3rd race in a row the majority of the family were there it was awesome. his best race and both rooks and i agree on this was his 2nd win where he run a stormer to pick up a dog that doesnt stop. hopefully rooks can get both these other 2 wins up on the thread.

rodney was just about to start reaching his potential. he definatly would of won open races imo. but this thread will never know, and it also wont see happy pictures of rodney curled up on a sofa at ling and rooks after a successful racing career.

fate is so cruel sometimes!

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 16, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »

I have a friend who adopts racing greyhounds when they have retired. A lot of them have had hard lives as they are basically a money making machine who get cast off when they retire.

I think it's fantastic that your dogs are primarily pets and that the racing is a hobby for both you and them.

Seeing Rodney run that first race you can see he's happy doing what he's loves doing. His tail is going nuts at the end and even though he doesn't know what he's just done he clearly loved every second of what he was doing.

I know it's hard for you guys because he's had this terrible accident but at least when it happened he was a happy dog who clearly had a happy life which was tragically cut short.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 16, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »

Nice post Matt.

Without meaning to be ignorant (but I am) why could a leg break not be treated so to speak?

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1193 on: September 16, 2009, 04:21:41 PM »

So sorry to read this guys, I have had a 3 boxers and each time have been in absolute pieces when they passed away and just watching that Vid and hearing you all brought tears to the eyes knowing how much you would have been hurting.

Really feeiling for you and totally understand why you would want to keep Cassie close now Ben. Hope she lives a long and happy life and continues to give you as much joy as Rodders did.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 16, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »

Nice post Matt.

Without meaning to be ignorant (but I am) why could a leg break not be treated so to speak?

Just guessing here but chances are they could've fixed it. However the distress that it would've caused the dog means that it's far kinder to do the right thing and have the dog pts.

The dog has no idea what has happened, it just knows that it is in pain. With a human you know that at some point you are going to get better. Imagine if you broke your leg badly and were in pain but didn't know in the back of your mind that it would get better at some point. As far as you're aware the pain you have now is never going away.

It is a great gift that we are able to bestow upon our animals to be able to do this for them. In the wild they would obviously just die. When a dog is in pain it just lies there and waits to die. If we can save it from considerable stress then however difficult it is we have to do it.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1195 on: September 16, 2009, 05:23:38 PM »

2 great posts matt, thanks

dogs can be saved when a leg is broken but according to our trainer who spoke to the track vet rodney was in excruitiating pain and his leg looked like it had been cut off by a sword (sorry to be so graphic). when we break a leg we go down and sit there waiting for help whereas a dog continues to run and rodney probably run at least another 400 meters after the initial break causing further damage to his leg. he was as you know a big dog which certainly wouldnt have helped.

the kennel knew that money was no object in saving rodney so we have to take there word for it that it was the best thing to do in the interest of rodney. neither rooks or myself were in attendance which in itself is very rare but who knows if or what we could have done to save rodney if we were there.this is all circumstantial and we have to trust the experts when they say they done all they can for him.

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 16, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »

every time I open this thread, I well up !!

Still so sad and struggling to come to to terms with it.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
pokefast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: September 16, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

every time I open this thread, I well up !!

Still so sad and struggling to come to to terms with it.

+1

This has been a great thread and a great journey,so for it to end like this is so so sad.

Rip Rodney

Best wishes to all involved

Jon Woodfield is the cleverist man in Europe!
outragous76

Yeah Bitch! ......... MAGNETS! owwwh!

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 16, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »

Just watched that race and feel properly choked and I didnt even know the little fella!

I am a dog lover and know that hurt  Angry Cry

".....and then I spent 2 hours talking with Stu which blew my mind.........."
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 16, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »

I know the term 'BoB' is branded around a lot atm but this one really is fitting.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: