blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:36:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best of blonde
| | | |-+  Rookie's Fantasy
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rookie's Fantasy  (Read 224698 times)
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 18, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »

should squeeze kev into the boxes to improve the trapping ability
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 18, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »

should squeeze kev into the boxes to improve the trapping ability

Takes me 2 minutes to get out of my chair ffs LOL

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 18, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »

Just spoke to Rooks, Very upbeat and rightly so.

Cassie was put in the 4 box for her solo, and dwelled up on exit ... She went round more inside than outside, and although very difficult to predict at this stage, is looking like she might well be a mid runner.

Next trial is going to be 8th Jan ...  bloody poxy Xmas getting in the way , sigh !

She has come off the track sound and happy, thats worth its weight in gold .... ONWARDS !!

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: December 18, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

told that the track was officially 30 slow meaning her time was a very pleasing 28.91... Also told she did a 4.35 sectional. If u want to check it out or compare sectionals with other dogs you can see how she fell out the boxes!

HI HELEN!
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 18, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »

did she do that before, is she hessitating or missing the break or do all greyhounds in their early days suffer with this.

If not how does a trainer go about sharpening them up?
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 18, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

told that the track was officially 30 slow meaning her time was a very pleasing 28.91... Also told she did a 4.35 sectional. If u want to check it out or compare sectionals with other dogs you can see how she fell out the boxes!

Where do I find this?
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »

Did you take a vid rooks ?

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: December 18, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »

did she do that before, is she hessitating or missing the break or do all greyhounds in their early days suffer with this.

If not how does a trainer go about sharpening them up?

It just takes some getting used to mate. She has only seen the traps twice before today. Hopefully we can start to see an improvement next time out although the fact that her next trip from the boxes wont be til 8th Jan is a tad annoying.

Trainer is very happy with her and has no problems with the fact she missed the break. She has flown round for her first look after that sectional. She is a smart dog and looked the part on the parade down to the traps.

HI HELEN!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: December 18, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »

Did you take a vid rooks ?

Yep but its only on my iphone so unless someone tell s me how to get it off I wont be able to put it on here!

HI HELEN!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: December 18, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »

One other thing which you do not know now..

The trainer got her out the van today to put her into the track kennels and noticed she was still slightly bleeding from her season which she had supressed a couple of weeks ago. She got checked by the track vet and he said it was fine for her to run. This just shows her run was pretty good as she won't run her best until fully out of season. So even more reason to  be happy!! Cheesy

HI HELEN!
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: December 18, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »

Saw the monster that is Rodney today too, he was happy, looking solid as ever, and seeming to be fine on his feet now. Trainer plans on getting him ready for a trial on the 8th January too. No more injuries either dog plsssss

HI HELEN!
Bigfella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: December 18, 2008, 06:22:02 PM »

What's the grading time for pups at Oxford rooks?
Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: December 18, 2008, 06:38:54 PM »

28.50 atm. Apparently they are looking to make it 28.30 in the near future.

HI HELEN!
Bigfella

View Profile WWW
« Reply #403 on: December 18, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »

Nice one she's obviously got plenty of improvement will be ideal to grade in near the bottom to have a good few gambles! Young improving pups great to follow once they get the hang of it.

gl with them both  thumbs up
turny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: December 19, 2008, 12:51:05 PM »

was a great day yesterday at oxford and again after with rodney back at the kennels.

amazing how nervous rooks and myself were prior to the trial. i got us both a red hot cup of tea with plenty of sugar to calm our nerves and we settled down to watch the trials. we decided to bet 50p a race on the 3 dog trials and after the 16 or so trials we watched i finished £1 up shippppp!

anyway it was time for the dogs in both trials 11 and 12 to make their way to the starting traps, trial 11 was a 3 dog trial and cassies trial number 12 was to be a solo. it seemed common practice for the novice greyhound to stand just of the track behid the starting traps and watch the trial before it (to improve its keeness i imagine)
As the dogs strode down the home straight being walked by their handlers towards the starting  traps i must admit i got a lump in my throat and a broad smile on my face. there a few yards ahead of the other 3 was cassie. She looked a picture, on her toes and for the first time in a racing jacket, she looked every part a racing dog. she wore the trap 4 jacket a particular favourite of mine from involvement in greyhounds in the past. She was alert but calm taking everything in around her.
Mick her trainer took her to the holding area behind the traps whilst the other trial took place, the result of which i have no idea as my eyes were transfixed in the direction of cassie to see how she was. unlike most of the other novices who were held tight by their handlers whilst watching the trials mick decided to walk cassie further away from the action. he is happy with her and her keenness is not in question so i think he felt it unneccesary to get her over excited by getting her to watch the other trial.

then it was her turn, she walked calmly to the boxes and after minimal persuading she was inserted into box 5 from the rear. mick quickly made his way into the centre of the track and the hare was sent on its way. a few seconds later the traps open and for what seemed like an age (but was roughly half a second) cassie didnt emerge, i feared the worst maybe she had turned round or wasnt going to chase etc.
then their she was, feet connected with the sand and eyes on the hare and she was away and looking a picture in full flight. She approached the first bend and seemed to lose her footing a little as she cut across to the rail but soon recovered and set off after the mechanical hare. she ran down the far side and looked to cut in and rail the last 2 bends before running back down the home straight in front of us.
unlike some of the novices before her who tired up the run in she looked strong all the way to the line and to the pick up for that matter. (must be the staying genes of the great hawk in her)

thats it it was over, cassie had been retrieved by mick and looked to have come off sound. We waited for the time, i personally had hoped for under 29 seconds so on hearing the time of 29.21sec was a little disappointed at first.
hows this for service, whilst walking back to the paddock with cassie and with another 25 or so dogs to sort for trials mick her trainer found the time to ring rooks and talk to him and to share his thoughts on how things had gone. Mick is fantastic with his owners and his love for all his dogs can be seen after as little as 5 minutes in his company.

cassie done the 2nd best time of the novices we see run (approx 6) her time of 29.21 was recalculated to 28.91 after the going allowance was taken into account as the track was runnning slow. that took her time to under the 29 secs of my expectation. so happy as larry here.

on closer examination you can tell where she lost alot of her times and that was at the boxes. a sectional of 4.35 says it all. i would say the average sectional for the track to be roughly 3.95 with the faster starters doing low 3.80s and the slower dogs 4.05-4.10.
so even if she is going to be in the slow starter catagory when she learns to come out the traps properly (which i dont think she will be as she was very quickly into stride once her pads connected) she still lost about .30 of a second at the boxes. and if she ends up a fast starter she could have lost as much as .50 at the boxes.
so i reckon she lost in the region of .40 of a second which in greyhound terms equates to 8 lengths!
this makes her time even more pleasing as with a natural box exit that would have seen her do 28.51 which would be a neck outside the qualifying time of 28.50 a dog is required to do before being allowed to be considered good enough to race at the track.

so taking in to account her slow start, a slight lack of condition due to season and natural progression i predict all being well and her staying sound that i can see her knocking a second off that time next time if she can get into her running quicker at the boxes.  8th january all being well and not tomuch partying at the kennels over xmas i predict a calculated 28.25sec run.

come on cassie!!!

as for rodney, who knows what he will become. you really have to see him in the flesh to appreciate the real size of this dog. he has massive shoulders and dwarfs most other greyhounds in height and in width.

he was full of himself as usual as rooks and i took him for a walk in the area around the kennels. he looked to be walking fine after his recent injury but until he starts some serious work we wont be sure it has healed completely. heres hoping!

he starts galloping today and will be kept busy over xmas and hopefully will trial at the same session as cassie on 8th january.

rodney really could be anything, and with his litter brothers and sisters starting their careers so well in ireland you never know. if we can keep him safe and sound we just might have something special on our hands.

we will see, whatever they become or dont become these dogs will never want for love.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 81 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: