blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  what do you do here?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what do you do here?  (Read 1551 times)
Claw75

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »

Live game, £30 freezeout.  There are 8 players left and you've just made the money, which is paying £800 down to £40.  Average chips 13,500.  You and two other players have about 18-19k each, with the rest of the table relatively short.  Blinds are 800/1600, going up to 1000/2000 next hand. 

Your BB, folded to the button (one of the other large stacks, tight aggresive player), who makes it an extra 3000 to go.  You look down at  three clubs three diamonds - what's your move?

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »

standard steal for him. standard push for you. you're in the money. it's time to LAG it up and gamble.
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 06:01:42 PM »

If he's TAG then I'd pass and take your chances in late position vs the blinds.
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:13:15 PM »

Swordpoker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »

fold.

It's not yet time to risk all your chips with  three clubs three diamonds against a TAG's raise. If the blinds were twice as high then I'd consider a push but that would depend on how everyone else is playing and if I think there are going to be better opportunities against them.

raab11

they call me the hat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »

fold your better than everyone else, no need for coin flips(in this case its the best you can hope for?

"poker is like sex, everyone thinks they are the best but most don't know what they're doing"
Dutch Boyd
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:23:31 PM »

yep...folderoonie

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »

standard steal for him. standard push for you. you're in the money. it's time to LAG it up and gamble.

I thought i had your game pegged down tempor, this has thrown me. Taking lessons off rookie?

I hate shoving here, flat call and take it off him on the flop.
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »

I don't get the TAG/LAG relevance, it's an instant fold. You are in a great chip position relative to the rest of the table (ok your M ain't huge either but you have a really good chance of adding a ton of cash after these small stacks get busted, and you are in a position to make some moves).

It could be a button steal, it could also not be, from a LAG or a TAG. Even if it was, the chances of him having overcards to 33 are pretty good, and you are in no position to call (you know 9/10 the flop is gonna be bad for you), and pushing is likely at best 5050.

The overriding factor is a psychological one, ie how likely is your opponent to fold to a push. The fact is, people prefer to call rather than fold, they see the encroaching blinds and totally overestimate how much they're pot committed.

I hear this 'defend your blinds' crap all over the place, it's a pile of rubbish. Blinds are the tax you pay like everyone else does, the fact that it happens to be your blind this time cannot change how you play. Fold, move on.

I presume you pushed and were called or didn't see a decent hand again and bled away, that happens, but can't configure how you should 33 in this setup.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 04:27:25 PM by fearisthekey » Logged

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

Dewi_cool

Dusk Till Dawn - It's like going home

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 04:18:11 PM »

most sensible read since Flushy was suspended

The very last hand of the night goes to Dewi James, who finds ACES and talks Raymond O’Mahoney into calling his all-in preflop bet of 15k.  “If I had AQ, I’d call!” says Dewi.  Raymond calls holding pocket 66’s.

AdamG

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 05:33:23 PM »

most sensible read since Flushy was suspended

http://blondepoker.com/forum/index.php?topic=36782.0
Alias' >>> DeeohDoubleG - PokerStars    adamg001/TrustinMe - DTD    Garvey001 - FullTilt <<<
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »

I presume you pushed and were called or didn't see a decent hand again and bled away, that happens, but can't configure how you should 33 in this setup.

Nope - I actuallly did what Alex suggested above and flat called and pushed on flop.  I actually think it was a horrible way to play it (no offence Alex), and that I should have pushed or folded preflop.  I was leaning towards thinking I should have gone for the fold option, so just wanted to see what everyone else's views were.

I think part of the problem is that I'd just doubled up, and hadn't really got my brain out of short-stack mode.  One thing I definitely need to do to improve my live game is taking time to make decisions, weighing up different factors rather than making quick decisions.  It's something I'm working on.

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:57:39 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 05:57:47 PM »

Claw, doesn't the decision to push on the flop depend on the texture of the flop?  ie it has to be a flop he is more than likely to have missed?

or once you flat called was it a definite stop and go rergardless of the flop?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 06:10:05 PM »

Claw, doesn't the decision to push on the flop depend on the texture of the flop?  ie it has to be a flop he is more than likely to have missed?

Yes - and that's why I don't like the way I played it.  By flat calling, I've got no idea if it was a steal or if she has a good hand.  She (two women at a FT - shocking!) has almost certainly got two overcards whatever the case, so it's going to be difficult to know how much, if any, of the flop she has hit.

The flop was something like  , and I took the risk that she hadn't hit (given her previous tight play) and made a pot sized bet.  She'd hit top pair with .

Equally, if I was going to fold if there were big cards on the flop, surely better to fold pre flop and wait for a better opportunity?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: