blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Final Table Situation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Final Table Situation  (Read 1267 times)
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »

The scenario here is its a £30 freezeout 5 players left top 3 get paid.  Your 3rd in chips but not to far behind.   The blinds at this point are 2k/4k and you have approximately 45 - 50k.  UTG who has been playing TAG at the final table but hasn't had to go to a showdown yet pushes for a total of 17k and you have .

Earlier in the tourney you had this guy well sussed and never lost a pot against him.  He was guilty of overplaying big aces but as noted at FT he has been super tight.

Whats your move?

Raindogs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:56:17 PM »

You didn't say how many people had to act after you and what size UTG's stack was in relation to the rest of the table (but if you were 3rd with 45k than he looks like the short stack)

I call.

If UTG takes the blinds he will only have 11k left so he could be pushing with wide range of hands.  The fact he has been playing tight wouldn't bother me that much as he is more likely to be desperate in this spot.  You are probably in a coin flip situation so I suppose it depends on whether you want to try to cash or win.  Even if you lose you will still have around 30k left which still leaves you in with a chance.
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »

How tight can his range be with his chipstack?

Unless he's a complete nit he's pushing with a massive range here.

Calling is not an option, you're giving one of the bigger stacks behind the option to see a flop at a good price, you'll have to call anyway someone pushes behind you.

For these reasons it's a push.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:42 PM »

You didn't say how many people had to act after you and what size UTG's stack was in relation to the rest of the table (but if you were 3rd with 45k than he looks like the short stack)

I call.

If UTG takes the blinds he will only have 11k left so he could be pushing with wide range of hands.  The fact he has been playing tight wouldn't bother me that much as he is more likely to be desperate in this spot.  You are probably in a coin flip situation so I suppose it depends on whether you want to try to cash or win.  Even if you lose you will still have around 30k left which still leaves you in with a chance.

I was acting after the UTG he was 2nd shortest the BB was short stack.  But BB I think is always going to pass if I or any other player decide to call the all in.  The BB has already made noises about doing a saver for 4th so I know he is happy to take a saver and let someone else risk taking on the all in.

As for the players who where acting behind me one player was mates with the all in and there where occasions I thought they where actually avoiding taking each other on.  Not sure if that was just my perception but the player acting after me was very erratic.

The SB was CL and he generally tried to stay out my way on many occasions. 

I actually called and straightaway I thought it was the wrong move because the guy acting after me dwelled up for a while and eventually passed and SB and BB insta passed after that.  I turned over the 8's and all in showed 5's.  Guy acting after me passed AK. 

8's held up and I ened up going on to win the tourney.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:37:14 PM »

How tight can his range be with his chipstack?

Unless he's a complete nit he's pushing with a massive range here.

Calling is not an option, you're giving one of the bigger stacks behind the option to see a flop at a good price, you'll have to call anyway someone pushes behind you.

For these reasons it's a push.

And that is the way I should have played the hand!

Raindogs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »

If the other players at the table are experienced players I wouldn't push.  With 5 left and 3 to get paid, if one of your opponents has a big hand they are more likely to flat call and check the hand down to try and eliminate the short stack.  Unless they hit a monster I can't see them betting into a dry side pot.  If you do get re-raised you can scowl and fold knowing you will be up against a big hand.
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:44:46 PM »

If the other players at the table are experienced players I wouldn't push.  With 5 left and 3 to get paid, if one of your opponents has a big hand they are more likely to flat call and check the hand down to try and eliminate the short stack.  Unless they hit a monster I can't see them betting into a dry side pot.  If you do get re-raised you can scowl and fold knowing you will be up against a big hand.

Given the chipstacks and size of the blinds then the chips in the middle are worth far more than eliminating the other player (they nearly always are except in certain sateilite situations). If I've got plenty of chips then I might call from the big blind and bet the flop with king high if think you'll fold.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 09:18:15 PM »

In this situation you want to be focussed on winning. Any thoughts about scraping into the money and finding ways to play amicable poker with your opponents will seriously hinder your aggression. There is no doubt that UTG has a wide pushing range. Pressure from the blinds and/or impatience means he's pulling the trigger with many hands that 8-8 can beat.

I agree with Wardonkey in advising that a flat-call is not the best play. Getting heads-up with the all-in is essential for making this gamble a successful one long-term. Most good players looking to win are going to come straight back over the top with hands like A-K if you flat-call. Moving all-in and isolating the shorter-stack gets my vote.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »

yep...easy push for me..flatcalling is terrible.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 01:03:58 AM »

im pushing too

but don't ask me

wot do i know?  lol

i was out in 8th i shoved my 20k ish all in with AQ os to tony's utg min raise

he called with JKs for just about his tourney life

and spiked 2 K's on the flop

how u get on bandit? u came back well from the short stack and were playing well

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
The_Diamond

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:42:41 AM »

what wardonkey said.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 07:03:11 AM »

im pushing too

but don't ask me

wot do i know?  lol

i was out in 8th i shoved my 20k ish all in with AQ os to tony's utg min raise

he called with JKs for just about his tourney life

and spiked 2 K's on the flop

how u get on bandit? u came back well from the short stack and were playing well

I won it mate.

Took a hit with AK versus At.  Then Tony took two players out with the rivered nuts Davie was all in pre flop and that other boy who was to your left Mr Min Re-raise had pushed against Tony with two pair.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: