blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 01:17:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272834 Posts in 66757 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 1559 1560 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 1566 1567 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6379402 times)
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #23430 on: October 27, 2011, 05:55:37 PM »

Prior to Bernie's book, I read a right corker, & rated it even higher.

Entitled "The Greatest Trade Ever - how one man bet against the markets & made $20 billion".

It's about a quiet, unassuming chap by the name of John Paulson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paulson

In the years leading up to the credit crunch, he spotted that subprime mortgages were due to go underwater, so he did the weirdest thing - he sold insurance policies on them. Not exactly on single mortgages though, they were "bundles" of 1,000's of mortgages which Institutions had created as a bit of financial engineering.

Then, when the market went south, & everyone started foreclosing on the mortgages, he SOLD those policies for a lot more than he paid, selling them to the exposed institutions who had burned their fingers, having first protected himself via CDS's, which in themselves became worth a fortune.

The big Credit Rating Agencies came out of the story dreadfully - they got it completely qrong, assessing that less than 1 in 100 subprimes would go underwater, an incredibly naive assumption or calculation, however you look at it.

Bit hard to get into at first, with stuff like CDS - credit default swaps - & CDO's - collaterized debt obligations, but once you get your head round all that, it's a stunning expose of the financial system as then was. I can't pretend I fully understood it all, but it's like baseball stats, you don't need to understand them to enjoy baseball.

It's almost as good, in business/markets sense, as the story of Long Term Capital Management, who somehow leveraged up a tiny asset base to borrow some $40 billion before going tits up & almost causing the world financial stystem to collapse.

John was mocked by one & all, he was really swimming against the tide, but he hung in, & got his result eventually. Gotta be brave to keep betting when for 4 years, the market defied his beliefs, & moved against him, but he stood his ground, hung in, & got there. That takes guts. What a legend, though he is not universally respected, as some say he sort of caused the credit crunch. Mostly those who bet the wrong way, I might add.

Now that's a REAL degenerate.

Terrific read, & v highly recommended. It's by Gregory Zuckerman.

Read a couple of books on this subject and whilst I enjoyed this one I thought "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis was the best and if anyone is into this kind of thing and hasn't read "Liars poker" by Lewis I would highly recommend that.  One of the best books on the culture within the big financial firms i have ever read although i am sure someday soon someone is going to write a great book about Goldman Sachs.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23431 on: October 28, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

Entitled "The Greatest Trade Ever - how one man bet against the markets & made $20 billion".

In the years leading up to the credit crunch, he spotted that subprime mortgages were due to go underwater, so he did the weirdest thing - he sold insurance policies on them. Not exactly on single mortgages though, they were "bundles" of 1,000's of mortgages which Institutions had created as a bit of financial engineering.

Then, when the market went south, & everyone started foreclosing on the mortgages, he SOLD those policies for a lot more than he paid, selling them to the exposed institutions who had burned their fingers, having first protected himself via CDS's, which in themselves became worth a fortune.

The big Credit Rating Agencies came out of the story dreadfully - they got it completely qrong, assessing that less than 1 in 100 subprimes would go underwater, an incredibly naive assumption or calculation, however you look at it.

Bit hard to get into at first, with stuff like CDS - credit default swaps - & CDO's - collaterized debt obligations, but once you get your head round all that, it's a stunning expose of the financial system as then was. I can't pretend I fully understood it all, but it's like baseball stats, you don't need to understand them to enjoy baseball.

It's almost as good, in business/markets sense, as the story of Long Term Capital Management, who somehow leveraged up a tiny asset base to borrow some $40 billion before going tits up & almost causing the world financial stystem to collapse.

John was mocked by one & all, he was really swimming against the tide, but he hung in, & got his result eventually. Gotta be brave to keep betting when for 4 years, the market defied his beliefs, & moved against him, but he stood his ground, hung in, & got there. That takes guts. What a legend, though he is not universally respected, as some say he sort of caused the credit crunch. Mostly those who bet the wrong way, I might add.

Read a couple of books on this subject and whilst I enjoyed this one I thought "The Big Short" by Michael Lewis was the best and if anyone is into this kind of thing and hasn't read "Liars poker" by Lewis I would highly recommend that.  One of the best books on the culture within the big financial firms i have ever read although i am sure someday soon someone is going to write a great book about Goldman Sachs.

By sheer chance, "The Big Short" is my current read.

Think it's the 5th book I've read on that whole subprime affair, & the weird & not-so-wonderful derivatives sidebar story, & in every one, of course, the identity of the villains & heroes change slightly, depending on who is telling the tale.

There is a common misconception that all of a sudden, when the balloon burst, there was a shortage of cash in the system, which is quite wrong, of course, the amount of cash in the system remained unchanged, it just moved to different places. It was the CREDIT that disappeared.

It was a crisis that was long overdue.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23432 on: October 28, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »

Interesting little film here - film footage of Las Vegas in 1962.

http://vimeo.com/30582217
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #23433 on: October 28, 2011, 05:18:35 PM »

By sheer chance, "The Big Short" is my current read.

Think it's the 5th book I've read on that whole subprime affair, & the weird & not-so-wonderful derivatives sidebar story, & in every one, of course, the identity of the villains & heroes change slightly, depending on who is telling the tale.

There is a common misconception that all of a sudden, when the balloon burst, there was a shortage of cash in the system, which is quite wrong, of course, the amount of cash in the system remained unchanged, it just moved to different places. It was the CREDIT that disappeared.

It was a crisis that was long overdue.

Just got "The Big Short", sorting my books to take on trip to Vegas. What were the other books you read on subprime and would you recommend any? (Might pick a few up at airport) Smiley

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
neeko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23434 on: October 28, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »

"Fool's Gold" by Gillian Tett is good too.

There is no problem so bad that a politician cant make it worse.

http://www.dec.org.uk
doogan

View Profile
« Reply #23435 on: October 28, 2011, 06:55:01 PM »

just read the jonny cash book "Cash"  a amazing life story of a troubled character and amazing musician. Well worth a read.

<--------------- prick
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23436 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »

Ready for the day ahead

http://ow.ly/i/k9fu

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23437 on: October 29, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »

Ready for the day ahead

http://ow.ly/i/k9fu

assumed it would be the trademark 'tikay asleep in cardroom picture'
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #23438 on: October 30, 2011, 01:58:30 AM »

Made day 2 of the 6 max. Chipped up as usual I see.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23439 on: October 30, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »

Story time, tikay.....

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23440 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »

Made day 2 of the 6 max. Chipped up as usual I see.

Stack relative to blinds, I have peaked now, & am ready to pounce.

Yesterday, I either.....

Abso crushed, but was called in a super super sick spot by some fish who got lucky (all other players are fish, obv), meh.

Or.......

Sat there quietly, not good enough or lucky enough to build a stack.

Gotta say though - how much fun is 6-Max live? Wow, loved it. So civilised.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 12:45:41 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #23441 on: October 30, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »

Sick sweat for the last longer today mate.

Me with my 25 bigs against you, your 11 bigs and clear skill edge.

Could be a close one.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #23442 on: October 31, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »

Source: Article ref the passing of singnificant but lesser known people in the last month: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15520303

If it had not been for Annie Penrose, RAF pilots might have found themselves piloting Shrews rather than Spitfires in the Battle of Britain. Her father, Sir Robert McLean, was chairman of Vickers between the wars and worked closely with R J Mitchell who was designing a new single-seater fighter. Mitchell had wanted to call the new plane the Shrew but McLean insisted it was called the Spitfire, the nickname he had bestowed on his somewhat headstrong daughter. After opposition from the Air Ministry he finally got his way. Annie, who was born in India, went on to marry the actor Robert Newton before his drinking and womanising led to divorce. She later married Beakus Penrose and became the chatelaine of the Killiow Estate in Cornwall which she ran well into her 80s.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23443 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »

Incredible - & not a spark to be seen!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/polish-plane-makes-emergency-landing.html

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23444 on: November 01, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

Anyone catch the opening episode of Attenborough's "Frozen Planet"? Definitely 10 out of 10. Drama, tragedy, comedy, crime, & absolutely stunning camerawork.

How did they get Attenborough up on the very peak of that Arttic mountain ridge? He's 85, so I'm not sure I can imagine him dangling from a helicopter to get there.

The whole thing is the TV Event of the year for me, witrhout a doubt.

Here's some of the comedy. And crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlbxRBfGAr0

Pages: 1 ... 1559 1560 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 1566 1567 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: