blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 01:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 2466 2467 [2468] 2469 2470 2471 2472 ... 3780 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6390580 times)
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37005 on: April 09, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »

It's a bit odd really, as Warren never invests in "dotcom" Companies, (though he owns 6% of IBM, but they are hardly "dotcom"), in fact he was roundly mocked for being staid & overly conservative during the dotcom boom, so a tad ironic he rubs along so well with Bill, who IS Mr Dotcom really.

Microsoft famously missed the boat with the internet. If they'd had their eyes on the ball there'd be no Google today. Instead they concentrated for too long on Windows and selling office software. Now Apple & Google give away operating systems and office software for free.

One business person that I just cannot help but admire is Denise Coates of Bet365. 

At the other end of the scale, I agree, is Denise Coates. Here is someone who had high street betting shops. 'Licence to print money', you might think. She flogged them all off back in 2005 to concentrate 100% on online gambling. Took Hills and Ladbrokes so long to sort their online sites out that they got eclipsed by a company operating out of a shed in Stoke.

One bit from our (egr) recent bet365 profile I love. They are the largest sports betting operator in Spain. How many staff do you think they have in Spain? Juan.

FYP to add in obvious joke that you missed.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #37006 on: April 09, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

All this talk of philanthropy reminded me of this interesting character:

Chuck Feeney

He really does embody that quotation Tom posted:

Never respect men merely for their riches, but rather for their philanthropy.

We do not value the sun for its height, but for its use.

Gamaliel Bailey

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37007 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »

Just to wrap up the incredibly interesting topic, which aroused comment across the entire UK poker population, that list of the World's 10 largest employers was.....

It staggered me that the NHS was #5 in the world.

United States Department of Defense 3.2 million  United States
People's Liberation Army 2.3 million  People's Republic of China
Walmart 2.1 million  United States
McDonald's 1.9 million (including franchises)  United States
National Health Service 1.7 million  United Kingdom
China National Petroleum Corporation 1.6 million  People's Republic of China
State Grid Corporation of China 1.5 million  People's Republic of China
Indian Railways 1.4 million  India
Indian Armed Forces 1.3 million  India
Hon Hai Precision Industry (Foxconn) 1.2 million  Taiwan

Which reminds me of the Post about Hon Hai Precision Industries, which I still need to reply to. And will.

Eventually, I'll get everything cleared so I can Post the Poker & Life stuff I've been trying to get round to all week. It's just as fascinating, of course. Maybe 9.8 on the Fascinatey Scale.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #37008 on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37009 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »

All this talk of philanthropy reminded me of this interesting character:

Chuck Feeney

He really does embody that quotation Tom posted:

Never respect men merely for their riches, but rather for their philanthropy.

We do not value the sun for its height, but for its use.

Gamaliel Bailey

Wow, thanks for that.

I'd never heard of him. He must be the ultimate GIQ man.

And all that money from Duty Free Shops, amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Feeney

LOVE learning about these people, & stuff.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37010 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:44 PM »

The scale works back to front; 9.8 is on a par with Chess, & Ladies fashion.

Note the ; thing.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #37011 on: April 09, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »

Phwoarrr!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37012 on: April 09, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »

keep seeing people reference Bilzerian for being 'cool' 'balla' insert word here but someone like Gates and Buffett who earned their coin and then are just like yup lets punt it to those less fortunate are just gangsters.

Have always loved this image

edit open link in new page to be able to read anything.

Click to see full-size image.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #37013 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »

what's interesting is that 'punt' as you might understand it, is rather unfair. (I know that's not how you meant it, though)

People like Gates, Buffet and Feeney are meticulous about really trying hard to get the most for every cent, because even though they have a lot of money to give, it wastes just as easily as yours or mine.

They also tend to shoot for absolutely huge projects to change the human condition immeasurably, e.g. Gates Foundation deciding that Malaria should no longer be a thing and that it needs to go away. You won't find them making 'small' interventions -- they want to fix problems once and for all, because whilst it might cost a dime to fix today it might cost a dollar in the future, so really making these big 'moon shot' interventions won't always get the returns they are looking for, when they do, they'll significantly improve the human condition. It's commendable, really.

I'm reminded of Feeney, who, when asked why he didn't fly First Class said wryly 'because it doesn't get me there any quicker than coach'. An admirable attitude. Oscar Wilde hated those who knew the price of everything but the value of nothing -- Gates, Buffet and their ilk really do understand the value as well as the price.
titaniumbean

Equity means nothing.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37014 on: April 09, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

what's interesting is that 'punt' as you might understand it, is rather unfair. (I know that's not how you meant it, though)

People like Gates, Buffet and Feeney are meticulous about really trying hard to get the most for every cent, because even though they have a lot of money to give, it wastes just as easily as yours or mine.

They also tend to shoot for absolutely huge projects to change the human condition immeasurably, e.g. Gates Foundation deciding that Malaria should no longer be a thing and that it needs to go away. You won't find them making 'small' interventions -- they want to fix problems once and for all, because whilst it might cost a dime to fix today it might cost a dollar in the future, so really making these big 'moon shot' interventions won't always get the returns they are looking for, when they do, they'll significantly improve the human condition. It's commendable, really.

I'm reminded of Feeney, who, when asked why he didn't fly First Class said wryly 'because it doesn't get me there any quicker than coach'. An admirable attitude. Oscar Wilde hated those who knew the price of everything but the value of nothing -- Gates, Buffet and their ilk really do understand the value as well as the price.

I mean 'punt' in the same sense people think bilzerian is balla. ie utterly incorrectly.

just j'adore Gates/Buffet for giving it away let alone for taking such time and effort to focus it intelligently on the things that will have the widest reach and the largest effect.

Watching documentarys on buffet and berkshire, and seeing him interviewed in his bowl office talking about how his bowl house is more than adequate for him because he can only be in one room at a time etc, and how if you buy a car which is damaged you get it cheaper etc it's just full of win. then you get the other end of the spectrum and people living on benefits MUST AND NEED to wear designer goods to show you they have taste and class. It's just sickening.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #37015 on: April 09, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

The Peaches Geldof thing is terribly sad, she had so much to live for, & was so young. The Geldofs have seen a fair bit of tragedy, one way & another.

I hope it's not indelicate to raise the matter at this moment, but I was intrigued by the "given names" of the young Geldof's.

Peaches was officially.....

Peaches Honeyblossom

Her sisters are.....

Little Pixie

Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence

Fifi Trixibelle

Her daughters are.....

Astala Dylan Willow

Phaedra Bloom Forever

Astala Dylan Willow

Phaedra Bloom Forever

Unbelievably these are her sons names, not her daughters.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37016 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »

It's a bit odd really, as Warren never invests in "dotcom" Companies, (though he owns 6% of IBM, but they are hardly "dotcom"), in fact he was roundly mocked for being staid & overly conservative during the dotcom boom, so a tad ironic he rubs along so well with Bill, who IS Mr Dotcom really.

Microsoft famously missed the boat with the internet. If they'd had their eyes on the ball there'd be no Google today. Instead they concentrated for too long on Windows and selling office software. Now Apple & Google give away operating systems and office software for free.

One business person that I just cannot help but admire is Denise Coates of Bet365. 

At the other end of the scale, I agree, is Denise Coates. Here is someone who had high street betting shops. 'Licence to print money', you might think. She flogged them all off back in 2005 to concentrate 100% on online gambling. Took Hills and Ladbrokes so long to sort their online sites out that they got eclipsed by a company operating out of a shed in Stoke.

One bit from our (egr) recent bet365 profile I love. They are the largest sports betting operator in Spain. How many staff do you think they have in Spain? Juan.

FYP to add in obvious joke that you missed.

Genuine lol. Nh.
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37017 on: April 10, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »

I remember Chris Ferguson (clang!) from wearing hats and running a ponzi scheme* fame once telling me why he always flew 'coach'. "If I could pay you $500 an hour to fly coach would you do it?". A very good way of looking at it really.

*didn't actually run a ponzi scheme
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37018 on: April 10, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »

The Peaches Geldof thing is terribly sad, she had so much to live for, & was so young. The Geldofs have seen a fair bit of tragedy, one way & another.

I hope it's not indelicate to raise the matter at this moment, but I was intrigued by the "given names" of the young Geldof's.

Peaches was officially.....

Peaches Honeyblossom

Her sisters are.....

Little Pixie

Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence

Fifi Trixibelle

Her daughters are.....

Astala Dylan Willow

Phaedra Bloom Forever

Astala Dylan Willow

Phaedra Bloom Forever

Unbelievably these are her sons names, not her daughters.

Really?

Good Lord.

No idea why, but I just assumed they were girls.

Hard to tell with names like Astala & Phaedra, but I'm not sure why I assumed girls. 

Meanwhile, the Post Mortem yesterday proved "inconclusive".

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37019 on: April 10, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »

Amen to that.

Amongst their projects, is one to "reinvent" the flush toilet, a "luxury" most of us take for granted; we have running water, sewers, & the like. Across the world, billion of people do not even have flush toilets or running water. Can you even imagine such a thing, say, here in the UK?

So many trivial things annoy us, trains running late, the queue at the Tesco checkout, poker software quirks, but wait until you try having to crap in a hole in the garden......

This, below, from Wiki.

Reinvent the Toilet Challenge: In 2011, the Foundation launched a program to promote the development of innovations in toilet design to benefit the 2.5 billion people that do not have access to safe and effective sanitation.[34] The "Reinvent the Toilet Challenge" (RTTC) targets the need for ground-breaking improvements in toilet design and fecal sludge management to close the urban sanitation gap. Since its launch, 15 teams have received grants to develop innovative on-site and off-site waste treatment solutions for the urban poor. The RTTC is focused on reinventing the flush toilet, a breakthrough public health invention that represents the first substantial improvement since the first flush toilet patent was issued in 1775.

The Foundation has called on grantees to design a standalone toilet unit—without piped-in water, a sewer connection, or outside electricity— with a facility cost target of less than five cents per person, per day. The RTTC is also working to improve waste handling from collection and treatment

I beluieve Loughborough University were one of the winners, for which they received a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for $60,000.

Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 2466 2467 [2468] 2469 2470 2471 2472 ... 3780 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: