blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2636 2637 2638 2639 [2640] 2641 2642 2643 2644 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6329213 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39585 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »

Also Alexander joins Jennifer tily as a proper famour person who has bought our book
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39586 on: September 21, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

Also Alexander joins Jennifer tily as a proper famour person who has bought our book

Even now you have told me, I can't claim to have heard of either.

Not a fan of Sitcoms, especially American ones. I once watched 27 seconds of Sienfield, which was 20 seconds too much. ATTO. 

Did you see "Yellowstone" on BBC 4 last night? Un-be-lieve-able. They said it was "minus 40" in the winter, in both C & F, apparently the scales merge @ -40. You'll not learn that watching RR & JA.   

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39587 on: September 21, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »

Even now you have told me, I can't claim to have heard of either.

Not a fan of Sitcoms, especially American ones. I once watched 27 seconds of Sienfield, which was 20 seconds too much. ATTO.  

Did you see "Yellowstone" on BBC 4 last night? Un-be-lieve-able. They said it was "minus 40" in the winter, in both C & F, apparently the scales merge @ -40. You'll not learn that watching RR & JA.  

I did actually as it happened. I also saw a wonderful documentary about people who make trinkets smaller than pinheads and the arduous process that goes into making them.

However, still prefer stuff like this:

btw this is me at the same cafe

Click to see full-size image.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:16:52 PM by DaveShoelace » Logged
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #39588 on: September 21, 2014, 12:18:27 PM »

Loving that the c.1950 version of a onesie was apparently to wear a dressing gown over your suit

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39589 on: September 21, 2014, 12:24:07 PM »

Loving that the c.1950 version of a onesie was apparently to wear a dressing gown over your suit

Can't ever imagine Richard Dimbelby not wearing a suit and nice shiny shoes. That photo would have been, back in the day, very edgy indeed.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39590 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

So, wandering down Piccadilly yesterday morning, a little doorway has this sign above it. Must be some famous peeps go there, right?

And a little old silver-haired man was entering the front door. I don't really watch much telly, but I insta recognised him. Much shorter than I imagined, probably because he has, like Nirvana, reached the shrinking age. Old people do shrink you know. 

I had no desire to meet him, & yet, for some reason, I got a little "ooh, look who it is" tingle.

Quite a career he has had, too, must be minted.

Insta gave him 9/10 for famousness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Cryer

Has how own website, too.

http://www.barrycryer.co.uk/

Describes himself as "incredible entertainer" & "a true comedy legend". Deducted 4 points for arrogance & lack of humility.

Deducted 2 more points as he failed to recognize me.

Strange how I get a little thrill from seeing people like him. I was at the Cafe De Paris in Monte Carlo a year or so ago, & John Cleese was on the next table, I was chuffed to bits.

At work last week, Helen Chamberlain stopped to chat with me, we had worked together 7 years ago, & I saw Phil Thompson last Friday, & we chatted about stuff.   

Not sure what the "famous" fixation is, but it does give me some kind of kick.

OK, that's the name-dropping sorted.

Spooky.

The family in laws had Afternoon Tea at The Ritz yesterday, not my normal "cup of tea" hoho, but was a free afternoon off work so what the heck.

Afterwards we walked passed the Bafta place and I saw a guy coming out I recognised, but for the life of me can't put a name to the face(normally good at this sort of stuff). Black fella, with a sort of lisp and sure he was in a Snatch/Lockstock type film, with a big afro.

I then also saw the guy that plays the Spanish barman in Benidorm! What a day!

Just eaten the best Pork Pie ever, that I bought from F&M.

Jeez, how spooky is that? We were both in Piccadilly on Friday, both purchased a pork pie in F & M, and both of us were gawping at celebs coming and going at the BAFTA office.

Considering you and I have only crossed paths once in real life, those odd must be banzai-ish. Doubt I have walked along Piccadilly more than three times in my life.

Would love to have met your wife. Does she have a halo?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:46:13 PM by tikay » Logged

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #39591 on: September 21, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Lol. A genuine Laugh out Loud

She does of sorts.

She is a Sister at John Radcliffe in Oxford in the Neo Natal Department(seriously ill premature babies)

Rarely brings home all the sad things she witnesses day in, day out, and then comes home and has to deal with me.

Truly a saint. 11 years younger than me. And not bad to look at too! Bonus!!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #39592 on: September 21, 2014, 12:49:11 PM »

I see you bought a book on Murdoch.  Have you read Nick Davies book on the phone hacking stuff.  Thoroughly recommended.  I read it in a sitting and can see me reading it again at some point which I almost never do.  Incidentally I am a huge fan of his other books too so if you like that you mgiht want to try them too.  Possibly one of the most talented investigative journalists alive.

The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #39593 on: September 22, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »

The Tesco book may well be due an updated final chapter given the developments today, not sure how senior people fail to spot an extra £250m in profit!!!!!.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #39594 on: September 22, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »

The Tesco book may well be due an updated final chapter given the developments today, not sure how senior people fail to spot an extra £250m in profit!!!!!.

Think its other way around? Failed to spot £250m less profits?

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #39595 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:19 AM »

Belated Happy Birthday Tony.

Always a pleasure to see you drawing away and going clear in the aged stakes.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39596 on: September 22, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

I just saw the headline and was fairly indifferent to it at first because big numbers means big mistakes.  But reading the full story, it seems there has been a whistleblower who wasn't happy with the way they were accounting for certain things and 4 senior execs are now suspended.  

It seems entirely possible that the senior people didn't fail to spot the £250 error, but that it was put in there deliberately.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #39597 on: September 22, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »

I just saw the headline and was fairly indifferent to it at first because big numbers means big mistakes.  But reading the full story, it seems there has been a whistleblower who wasn't happy with the way they were accounting for certain things and 4 senior execs are now suspended.  

It seems entirely possible that the senior people didn't fail to spot the £250 error, but that it was put in there deliberately.

From the Telegraph

Last October and November Cantor cautioned that the supermarket was overstating profits by squeezing suppliers - to the tune of £200m of gross profits a year

This is form last year

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/28/tesco-accused-of-squeezing-suppliers

Tesco has been accused of squeezing suppliers to support its profits ahead of an anticipated grim trading update next week.

Mike Dennis, an analyst at stockbroker Cantor Fitzgerald, suggested that Britain's biggest supermarket had written letters demanding money from suppliers' trading accounts – where payments are deposited by Tesco – to support its short-term profit margins.

He said that such activity risked breaching the groceries supply code of practice, which governs dealing between big supermarkets and their direct suppliers.

He said: "It is our view that Tesco has again overstepped the mark and the situation is very difficult for many suppliers."

Tesco and I had a good run for a while.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #39598 on: September 22, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »

hmmmmmmmmmm

not so easy this money stuff

The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #39599 on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »

I believe that the error relates to bringing forward turnover from the next period and delaying reporting expenditure from the current period, any of these transactions would need a double entry. i,e, if you increase sales you either need to show more money in the bank or a significant upward shift in debtors (or reduction in creditors) these would/should be notable shifts and unless they were being performed over a long period of time would have led to a significant variation from expectations. Hence you would expect senior figures to have spotted it, especially given that this is a plc and any reports have to be very tightly controlled.

Clearly someone did spot this and has blown the whistle, I just hope they are treated fairly.
Pages: 1 ... 2636 2637 2638 2639 [2640] 2641 2642 2643 2644 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: