blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:09:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 2688 2689 2690 2691 [2692] 2693 2694 2695 2696 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6329033 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40365 on: November 20, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »

The thing which has really surprised me is how much pessimism/despair there is. I may be remembering things wrong, but the 2+2ers seemed way more optimisitic just after Black Friday than they do right now.

Also amazes me how many players call Stars greedy for focussing on profits, when the only reason the players don't like the changes is because it affects their profits. I've never bought into this thing that a corporate entity making more money is somehow morally corrupt, whereas an individual making money by directly taking it out of the pockets of recreational players is fine. Neither are bad IMO. I think we just naturally have a them vs us, david vs goliath, bias against big companies. We also seem to have this sense of natural justice which makes us assume a for profit business has an obligation to act like a democracy.

I'm not saying that I like all the Stars changes, certainly don't like the manner they were communicated, but to expect anything less from any company is naive.

the thing that stands out to me is the sense of entitlement

this sense of entitlement, it could be argued in some cases, comes from a section of society with less reason than most to have that sense of entitlement given what they contribute to society, in some economies including being exempt from tax

I know its difficult to generalise but it shines through in some individuals comments on 2+2 about Amaya. The site owes them a living, in essence, where i think most looking at if from afar would argue the opposite 

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40366 on: November 20, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »

Well done on securing Neil. Works all round, in so far as i can see

Giblin?

The older I get, the better I was.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40367 on: November 21, 2014, 10:49:48 AM »

The thing which has really surprised me is how much pessimism/despair there is. I may be remembering things wrong, but the 2+2ers seemed way more optimisitic just after Black Friday than they do right now.

Also amazes me how many players call Stars greedy for focussing on profits, when the only reason the players don't like the changes is because it affects their profits. I've never bought into this thing that a corporate entity making more money is somehow morally corrupt, whereas an individual making money by directly taking it out of the pockets of recreational players is fine. Neither are bad IMO. I think we just naturally have a them vs us, david vs goliath, bias against big companies. We also seem to have this sense of natural justice which makes us assume a for profit business has an obligation to act like a democracy.

I'm not saying that I like all the Stars changes, certainly don't like the manner they were communicated, but to expect anything less from any company is naive.

this sense of entitlement, it could be argued in some cases, comes from a section of society with less reason than most to have that sense of entitlement given what they contribute to society, in some economies including being exempt from tax

I know its difficult to generalise but it shines through in some individuals comments on 2+2 about Amaya. The site owes them a living, in essence, where i think most looking at if from afar would argue the opposite 

But that's the thing - if you have a very narrow life experience (as a lot of these guys do - spending all day on the internet, never having worked in the real world, friends with other players with the same experience) then that becomes your sole point of reference for things. It takes a real effort at self-awareness to be able to view yourself, your life and everything about you in the wider context of society.

Essentially, they are a subculture with a lot of groupthink, so any perceived injustice against that group gets magnified as 'OMG - the sky is falling'
VBlue

View Profile
« Reply #40368 on: November 21, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »

I happen to like, say, Antony Keidis & Steven Tyler, & I can't imagine anything they did would stop me enjoying their music. But if they were charged with rape, or under age sex, I'm not sure how I would then perceive their music. I suppose, whether I wanted to or not, I'd be obliged to suddenly stop enjoying their music?  

It's an immenely complicated mix of emotions.

Totally this.  I still love Michael Jackson's music (quite a bit of it anyway).

Nope.

Would you wear an MJ t-Shirt?

I ask as I have a new young starter in our office at work and on dress down Friday he rocked up wearing one, it caused quite stir.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #40369 on: November 22, 2014, 02:29:13 AM »

Agree with almost all of that. Looks like they handled the "refunds" thing badly this week, too. But they are HUGE, & these things happen, they just do. 

Cast your mind back 9 months, & 2+2 was alive with "we are going to boycott The Venetian". (The Sheldon thing).

I don't have any stats to hand, but every day I went to Venetian Card Room during WSOP, it was rammed full.

We talk a great game. 

Venetian numbers crashed to start with and then they stopped guaranteeing every Deepstack event. They're creeping back now but it'll never be the same imo.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40370 on: November 22, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »

Whatever your political hue, you have to love Dennis Skinner's passion!

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #40371 on: November 22, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »

He stands up between every question in every PMQs to have a pointy rant. When the speaker gives him a nod, I can well imagine there are clenching posteriors aplenty in the chamber.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40372 on: November 22, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »

He stands up between every question in every PMQs to have a pointy rant. When the speaker gives him a nod, I can well imagine there are clenching posteriors aplenty in the chamber.

Ha, he loves a "pointy rant".

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #40373 on: November 22, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

Don't agree with this at all.  "Society" comments completely irrelevant - if there is money to be made legally there is nothing wrong with making it - that's the society we live in.  The multi-table grinders built up stars to where it is, they are perfectly errrr entitled to moan when that company shifts focus to other markets.  

Whether their moaning is productive is another issue.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40374 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:02 AM »

What do you think of this whole driverless car thing pops? I've been reading about it for a year and just realised it's probably your sort of thing.

They reckon by about 2017 we will see the first ones on the road, by 2025 most car makers will have one model at least.

Horrible implications for people who drive for a career.

Amazing possibilities though. Going out for a drink and being driven back in your own car. Sleeping on your drive to work. Reading on the drive to work. Accidents greatly reduced. Traffic jams eventually a thing of the past as all the cars communicate with each other.

I for one love the idea that your car could take the kids to school, come back, take you to work, come back, take your other half to work, then drive home and wait for you.

Maybe even we dont need to own cars anymore as this article suggests

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-1121-la-auto-show-future-of-driving-20141121-story.html#page=1
simonnatur

View Profile
« Reply #40375 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »

Was watching a rerun of this episode from the first series of Red Dwarf the other day  and liked Craig Ferguson in it. I googled him and found this bio : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Ferguson.

"Ferguson's experience in entertainment began as a drummer in a rock band called Exposure. He then joined a punk band called The Bastards from Hell.[12] The band, later renamed "Dreamboys", and fronted by vocalist Peter Capaldi, performed regularly in Glasgow from 1980 to 1982"
He went on to do stand up playing a character called "Bing Hitler" - anyway, I Imagine if you had foretold him his future life earning millions as a US chat show host, even he would have found it a little implausible.

Funny old life for you media lovie types.

Reluctant to race, came home in own time
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40376 on: November 27, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »

If.........

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40377 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »

I was quite impressed until he started ad libbing.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40378 on: November 27, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

I rather liked the fact that he sort of personalised it.

As ex-boxers go, he seems remarkably "together", & I like him very much.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40379 on: November 27, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »

I rather liked the fact that he sort of personalised it.

As ex-boxers go, he seems remarkably "together", & I like him very much.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like him too, he comes from the gladiator era of boxing. His fights with Nigel Benn were among the best bouts ever televised.

Pages: 1 ... 2688 2689 2690 2691 [2692] 2693 2694 2695 2696 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: