blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:03:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272594 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary
Pages: 1 ... 3363 3364 3365 3366 [3367] 3368 3369 3370 3371 ... 3779 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vegas & The Aftermath - Diary  (Read 6329900 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50490 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »

ZING

Tremendous article by Barry Carter over on Poker Strategy. He just gets it. If only the majority of the Pros did. 

https://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/The-Tragedy-of-the-(Poker)-Commons_101967/

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50491 on: September 11, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »

ZING

Tremendous article by Barry Carter over on Poker Strategy. He just gets it. If only the majority of the Pros did.  

https://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/world-of-poker/The-Tragedy-of-the-(Poker)-Commons_101967/

Very much appreciated Teeks.

Recently I've made the decision to focus a lot of my writing on 'sticking up for the recreational player'. It strikes me as a decent way to differentiate myself a bit these days, given that we poker media types are now competing with the Doug Polk's in terms of content creation, one area where I can really carve a niche is the fact that I am an actual recreational player wondering whether to stick $20 on Stars to play a few Spins or whether I'd prefer to watch Netflix etc etc.

Poker really feels like a divisive culture war at the moment, between the pro-centric model and believers, and the recreational-centric model and believers. I think plenty of pros are on the recreational side of things and understand the importance of making poker fun. It's remarkable how many times I've been called a PokerStars shill whenever I write anything a serious grinder may dislike. Vocal minority obviously.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:32:19 AM by DaveShoelace » Logged
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #50492 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:07 AM »

A belated happy birthday, Tikay.

Fantastic organisational skills demonstrated by Mrs Tikay. Did the piano-player have Lucky Man in his repertoire?

May you enjoy many many more.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50493 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »

ZING

Recently I've made the decision to focus a lot of my writing on 'sticking up for the recreational player'. It strikes me as a decent way to differentiate myself a bit these days, given that we poker media types are now competing with the Doug Polk's in terms of content creation, one area where I can really carve a niche is the fact that I am an actual recreational player wondering whether to stick $20 on Stars to play a few Spins or whether I'd prefer to watch Netflix etc etc.

Poker really feels like a divisive culture war at the moment, between the pro-centric model and believers, and the recreational-centric model and believers. I think plenty of pros are on the recreational side of things and understand the importance of making poker fun. It's remarkable how many times I've been called a PokerStars shill whenever I write anything a serious grinder may dislike. Vocal minority obviously.

It's simply bizarre that the majority of the rake comes from the net depositors, & yet so many deride them, mostly the very players who benefit from them. Why on earth would you insult your best customers?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50494 on: September 11, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »

A belated happy birthday, Tikay.

Fantastic organisational skills demonstrated by Mrs Tikay. Did the piano-player have Lucky Man in his repertoire?

May you enjoy many many more.

Ha, no, just the one tune. You are right, though, & that was part of what broke me up.

Many more? Hopefully, yeah, though you'd get monsta odds against another one that ends with a zero. Wink 

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50495 on: September 11, 2017, 12:05:41 PM »

ZING

It's simply bizarre that the majority of the rake comes from the net depositors, & yet so many deride them, mostly the very players who benefit from them. Why on earth would you insult your best customers?

One of the things that has led to where we are was poker rooms thinking that rake = income when, as you say, net deposits are super important.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50496 on: September 11, 2017, 12:32:41 PM »

Hahahah.

I love the fact that it's not only me that blubs about stuff.

Any chance you will reveal the song title, or did I miss it already while skimming?

The older I get, the better I was.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50497 on: September 11, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »

Hahahah.

Any chance you will reveal the song title, or did I miss it already while skimming?

Well I hope that you were skimming, Tom, as usual. I had assumed, all things being equal, the ditty the pianist played would have been fairly obvious, unless I told the story really badly. Which is entirely possible, or even probable.

Gill had arranged for him to play a tune especially for me, at exactly the moment the waitress delivered this (below) to the table. 

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #50498 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »

On Saturday I was having afternoon tea at the Savoy with my wonderful wife. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary so I decided to spoil her rotten and spent 2 nights there. I can honestly say it was an huge extravagance (for me anyway) but it was worth every penny. The attention to detail and the way that all the staff treat you is something I have never experienced before. Yes I have stayed in some nice, posh expensive places but the Savoy was just on another level.

Back to afternoon tea. Were you the only person celebrating your birthday there? The reason I ask is that when we were enjoying ours the pianist started playing happy birthday and about 8 waiters came out of nowhere each holding a small cake adorned with lit candle. These then dispersed to various birthday celebrators. For some reason It really tickled me. I thought that if it were me surprising my spouse I wouldn't even cross my mind that other people would be celebrating their birthdays and I would be ever so slightly put out for 30 seconds.

We were, however, the only ones celebrating our 25th anniversary Smiley The was one romantic soul who proposed to his partner. She said yes.

I would post aome pics but since photobucket changed their rules I have no idea how to.

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50499 on: September 11, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

Hahahah.

Well I hope that you were skimming, Tom, as usual. I had assumed, all things being equal, the ditty the pianist played would have been fairly obvious, unless I told the story really badly. Which is entirely possible, or even probable.

Gill had arranged for him to play a tune especially for me, at exactly the moment the waitress delivered this (below) to the table. 

Refering to this obv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmuudxyM0t4

I was expecting something a bit more sentimental.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50500 on: September 11, 2017, 12:59:58 PM »

I would post aome pics but since photobucket changed their rules I have no idea how to.

Download the 'Directupload' app to your phone. It's fab.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #50501 on: September 11, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »

Hey Happy Birthday Tikay.   

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #50502 on: September 11, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »

Download the 'Directupload' app to your phone. It's fab.

I don't believe it is a available for iPhone Sad

Ah! The element of surprise
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #50503 on: September 11, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

Happy 50th Birthday Mr Mintcake. Half way there now to getting that telegram Wink

You are still batting way above your average though.

Best wishes from me and the laddo.

Life has no rebuy options
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50504 on: September 11, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »

Happy 50th Birthday Mr Mintcake. Half way there now to getting that telegram Wink

You are still batting way above your average though.

Best wishes from me and the laddo.

Half way?

Pages: 1 ... 3363 3364 3365 3366 [3367] 3368 3369 3370 3371 ... 3779 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: