blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:59:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274184 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16955 Members
Latest Member: Airdraken
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  WSOP - Final Day
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WSOP - Final Day  (Read 46502 times)
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »

Still really quiet here, although a queue has formed outside the cardroom, people sitting on the floor waiting for the doors to open as if they've camped overnight for a Take That concert. Good job they got here early doors though, as I think many will be turned away later on.

It's almost 10am here, so I'm going to head off to the press conference soon to see if the players have anything interesting to say.
bigalhx1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »

the betting on bluesq
Philip Hilm (23M)              4/1 
Lee Childs (13M)            13/2   
Tuan Lam (20M)              9/2                  Hevad 'Rain' Khan (9M)  10/1   
John Kalmar (20M)           9/2                  Jerry Yang (8.5M)         12/1   
Raymond Rahme (16M)    6/1                  Alex Kravchenko (6.5M)  12/1
Lee Watkinson (10M)      13/2         

Each-way bets on 3 places at 1/5 odds
17th of July 2007 8:00pm

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

Well, it's certainly picked up in here. That group of people on the right hand side of the photo is just a small portion of the queue which seems to extend for miles.

Before I speak of the press conference I've just attended, I have to quickly tell you of something an American journalist said to me. As I entered earlier this morning, this guy from US Today introduced himself and said, "Did you hear about the hooligan they threw out yesterday, he was drunk and supporting Jon Kalmar, I think his name was Peter Haram, or something like that." 

I collared Jon later on and his response was, "Oh yeah, that was Bullet Pete. The phrases 'free bar' and 'Englishman' don't got together too well."

Hmm, think WSOP may be reconsidering the free bar come next year.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:33:22 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »

As I entered the press conference, I was surprised by the lack of press actually there. I guess it was up to me to ask the questions or be faced with an awkward silence and a case of the ol 

Nevermind, there were mints awaiting me, plus I stole a pen. Awesome!
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »

the betting on bluesq
Philip Hilm (23M)              4/1 
Lee Childs (13M)            13/2   
Tuan Lam (20M)              9/2                  Hevad 'Rain' Khan (9M)  10/1   
John Kalmar (20M)           9/2                  Jerry Yang (8.5M)         12/1   
Raymond Rahme (16M)    6/1                  Alex Kravchenko (6.5M)  12/1
Lee Watkinson (10M)      13/2         

Each-way bets on 3 places at 1/5 odds
17th of July 2007 8:00pm

I think Jon Kalmar is worth a bet there, he's here to win and in excellent spirits.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »

First up were the organisers/officials. One, I believe, was Jeffrey Pollock, and the other was Jack. Sorry, they just called him Jack, so perhaps he doesn't have a surname like those Brazilian footballers.

Basically, this was just a self indulgent exercise (and I don't mean that to sound as mean as it does) where they encouraged questions, but basically turned it around to themselves and how well they'd done this year in making this such a great experience for the players.

Questions weren't too taxing, and, to be honest, weren't shooting from all angles, so I decided to raise my little paw and pose a question regarding the structure and what the feedback was like after doubling the stacks and compensating via the removal of levels, the latter of which, unsurprisingly, wasn't marketed as heavily. I didn't receive the most detailed of response and they never really told me if feedback had been good, but Jack basically reported that he was happy with the way it panned out and that perhaps they could add some levels in the middle (although they'll probably make it 1k starting stack). He did add that he was keen for players to have plenty of play at the start. Not sure if that is how it worked out this year, would have to ask some of the players.
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:41 PM »

I do recall one chap asking an interesting question regarding the chip boo boo from last year and what measures they'd gone too this year to ensure it didn't happen again. Everyone's buddy Jack took the microphone again and said that they'd employed more people to overlook the colour ups and engaged more peoplein the taxing process of making sure a billion chips aren't accidentally to the comp. He did say, defensively, that it's not easy organising 6,000 players. 

Continuing the subtle mocking theme, one guy amusingly challenged the fact that at one stage all the chips at the table were all slightly different shades of orange, to which good ol Jack replied by saying, "When we selected the chip colours, we were in a dimly lit room."

Brilliant!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:07:49 PM by snoopy1239 » Logged
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »

A couple of other comments from Jack and Jeff (hey, that's catchy, like Bill and Ben):

-- They're considering 90 minute levels for some of the side events
-- There were less players this year, but they're focussed on quality, not quantity
-- They spotted some inappropriate acts of agenting this year and, in the interest of players rights, will be going to greater measures next year to minimise this
-- They are aware that the tent was a bit of a disaster this year and will be looking to rectify the problem for 2008
-- They firmly believe that snoopy will be crowned world champion next year, so might as well give him the money now
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »

On a sidenote, there are some cracking photos (of Rhowena) recently uploaded onto the Main Site. Some big names in there, but I feel the blondeites will be more interested in Miss Coren. I've also taken over 500 this week, so keep an eye out for them too. I'll try and get them uploaded when I get back, as well as adding them to blondepedia.

http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=image/tid/260

Tut tut Snoopy... scared

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 08:28:26 PM »

The players were up next, in two sets of four (I think they either ran out of chairs or Skalie hadn't turned up yet).

From right to left, they introduced themselves, rather poorly, I might add: Philip Hilm, Lee Childs, Lee Watkinson and Jerry Yang.

Out of the four, Jerry Yang yearned for the spotlight most, mainly to waffle on about his life history, which can basically be summarised as such: grew up in Laos, lived on a mountain, couldn't afford a marble, moved to America at 13, graduated, is now a psychologist. Crikey, I did it a bit quicker than him.

In all seriousness, he did seem like a nice chap, and was actually rather tearful. Furthering his rags to riches story, he claimed to have qualified for £225, which is a cool story, but then ruined it all by saying the corny line, "I'm living the dream, if it's God will, I shall be victorious." I thought Martin Luther King had stepped up to the podium for a moment.

Yang also added that he's going to give a away 10% of his winnings to a variety of charities, which is a nice gesture. He was a missionary for a couple of years, so I guess he's keen to give a bit back. I wonder if I could guilt trip him up to 20%... 

Philip Hilm's only words were regarding his 1623poker team of Mats, Christian and Larsson, whoever they are. "We're like the Danish Hendon Mob," he added. Afterwards, I tried to find out if he did live in England, and he confessed to residing in Cambridge for the last two months and playing as an online professional. I don't think he has any plans to play the UK circuit events though.

Back to the corny lines, Lee Childs said those sickly words, "We're all winners", whilst Yang credited God for the umpteenth time. Lee Watkinson was as quiet as a mouse, as if we were wrongfully taking up his time. He did answer a question about the Full Tilt rumour though, saying that it's true that if he wins the Main Event, he gets 10 million from Full Tilt. Blimey, Mr Tilt must be excreting bricks!

snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »

On a sidenote, there are some cracking photos (of Rhowena) recently uploaded onto the Main Site. Some big names in there, but I feel the blondeites will be more interested in Miss Coren. I've also taken over 500 this week, so keep an eye out for them too. I'll try and get them uploaded when I get back, as well as adding them to blondepedia.

http://www.blondepoker.com/index.php?q=image/tid/260

Tut tut Snoopy... scared

My post has been doctored. Yellow card! One more and you're off.

+ =
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »

Well, they've started, tikay's watching the live feed on his lappie. His eyebrow raised in a momentary Roger Moore moment when he heard Phil Gordon say that he didn't expect an exit within the first 3 or 4 hours.  Tongue
DesD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »

Skalie has got involved in two early hands with no success, but the night is very young yet.  Surprised to see Yang making the running at this point.
sofa----king
sofa----king

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »

tikkay is on the fina table in hee???/lol

one two buckle my shoe,three four,i wish i had velcro
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 08:50:53 PM »

There was a bit of a pause whilst a young lady asked if the other players had arrived. Tuan Lam, Alex Kravchenko and Raymond what's his face were here, but where the eck's Skalie? At that moment, in he strode, and the other four players took their seat on the stage, the only player missing from the press conference being Haved 'Rain' Khan. Golly, must have been a nasty hangover.

Embarrassingly, there was that awkward silence right from the off, a bunch of tumbleweed flowing by as the lady on the microphone asked if there were any questions. It's as if the four on stage weren't film stars after all! Anyhow, I had to break the eerie silence with a question and so took the mike and asked Skalie why the player counts at the end of each day had his hometown listed as Chorleyville when the location didn't actually exist.  Grin Of course, he had to come clean and admit he'd written Chorleyville as a gag for his mates back home and to make it sound a bit posher. Not sure you can ever make Choley sound posh.

Actually, out of the four, eight, in fact, Jon seemed the most laid back and relaxed - he was certainly the only one to say "howdy do" when asked to introduce themselves. It was a bit of a cheeky question from the crowd, but we did find out that Jon has dealt out 45% of himself, 10% just for cash I believe. He even sold another 10% to play another satellite to get his Mrs over a couple of weeks back, but that didn't go too well and she had to wait until he was guaranteed half a mil. Regarding his bad run of late, Jon finished by saying, "You can go a long long time without winning, and I splashed out my money a bit too much. I wasn't careful enough."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: