blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Unlucky or a misread?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unlucky or a misread?  (Read 990 times)
JoeStrummer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2007, 05:24:24 PM »

Scene:- 14 left in a £10 rebuy event from the initial 50. Blinds 500/1000. My stack 12.5K and on the small blind. BB has around 45 to 50K. UTG around 22K. Only us three in the hand.

Now before i describe the hand i best describe how I see BB and UTG. BB is a fairly old guy of at least 75 years of age, have seen him play on five ocassions (four times he has had a massive chip stack) and been on the same table on two of them. One of them from the start of a tournement the other midway. Solid player, not scared to fire in a few thousand to an unbetted pot just to see where he is but does fold to a re raise when its a blatent bluff!!!

The other guy also seen him around a few tournies and what I can gather is that he can be a complete cock at times, going all in blind when he gets bored is one of his specialities, but today he had been quite for around an hour and a half.

Ok the hand. UTG calls 1K everyone folds around to me and I see . i decide to make the blind and the BB checks. Flop:-

I lead out with a bet of 3k. BB instantly raises it to 6K and UTG calls. Now the feeling i get is that the BB is trying a steal and UTG is either on a flush draw or a pair, could even be AA, but obviously unlikely with an ace already out.

So I think a flod would be perhaps a little weak, but not unreasonable. Flat calling could get me into more difficult positions down the turn and on the river. An all in might push both of them off or obviously bust me.

So i go all in. BB folds quicker than he raised, as i expected. UTG thinks about it and says "f**k it, I call, show me your trips" and turns over .

Turn blank, river blank. Nice hand and good luck all!!!.

Hindsight is a good thing and if I knew what was going to happen i would have folded preflop but how would have people played this in the same situation??

“When you’re down on your chips, pick your spot and push. In fact I can’t remember the last time I was behind pre flop when I have done this; unfortunately the rest is up to the gods” A. Mason 2007
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:30:48 PM »

Push pre-flop. Forget he had AK, you have 12x bb and you can't raise to pass so lump it in

flat calling OOP there puts you in a world of pain if you miss unless you are firing all-in regardless

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »

I shove pre flop here takes your disadvantage of being oop and its defo an +ev shove.

I go broke here this shallow post flop, but im not playing flop here with most hands anyway.
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »

definately shove preflop.

you describe UTG as someone who tends to 'get bored' - in which case this is a perfect place to shove because he's likely to call off his stack to you with a weaker ace as i'd imagine he'd limp UTG with A10 / AJ. on this occassion he played it tricky so unlucky but in the long run shoving here is the best play.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »

This hand shows us how much information is out there in poker...but interpreting this information is tricky.

Our task is complicated because of the pre-flop flat-call. Don't forget that flat-calling conceals the strength of your hand from the other players, so they won't have any idea that you are this strong.

UTG chooses to enter his first pot in an hour and a half with a flat-call in 1st position. He has a shortish 22k and the bb is chipped-up and not afraid to bet at the pot. This information suggests UTG has a strong hand...so maybe there is a case for the flat-call because of this. Also with only 12.5K if you push and rake in an extra 2k your situation doesn't change much. I think getting in cheaply and gambling to win a bigger pot isn't such a bad idea.

I love the flop and would be preparing to commit one way or the other because my A-Q is well disguised.

When the action gets to UTG he has seen a raise and a re-raise but chooses to flat-call for a good chunk of his chips. He knows you only have about 9k left and may well put it in. This doesn't scare him and neither does the raise from the big-stack. This information could suggest a strong hand and maybe you could find a fold here.

I don't know, it's very tricky. The very best players must use this sort of information to make the plays they do so it's worth looking at I think.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »

By getting this shallow you deprive yourself of an information bet on this flop. His minimum re-raise gets me to fold as AJ is the only hand you are beating.
Im all-in preflop with your hand here, saves tricky decisions postflop with a baby stack.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: