blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Lowball abc?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lowball abc?  (Read 840 times)
crussty

you can't even spell pocer

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »

I only very very recently got into 2-7 lowball (played under 100 hands!). Anyway whats the abc of triple draw lowball when it comes to the third draw and you hold say queen high (or is it low  ) against one other player who draws one at third draw. Stand pat or draw one? As I say I'm a total novice so please forgive me!
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »

I only very very recently got into 2-7 lowball (played under 100 hands!). Anyway whats the abc of triple draw lowball when it comes to the third draw and you hold say queen high (or is it low  ) against one other player who draws one at third draw. Stand pat or draw one? As I say I'm a total novice so please forgive me!

you draw with a Queen. Jack or lower you are a favourite against anyone who draws one (jack is 55-45% if Negreanu is correct in SuperSystem2) so you can stand pat with those aainst one other player.

Buy supersystem2 ..the chapter on it is fantastic. I only play 2-7 cash on stars now. I am a very average NL holdem player and therefore find the edge I have too small (if I have one at all) to play HE cash these days...however after reading supersystem2 and thinking about 2-7 triple draw a bit (ok a fair bit) I find the easier money is to be made there.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »

btw..if you play it on stars what is your handle there?... I've played with a fair amount of people on stars so might have notes on you if you play 2-4 and higher

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:33:15 PM »

btw..THE golden tip in 2-7 triple draw is;

If you have to call a bet to draw on the turn you are ussually better giving it up.

the main mistake I see people making is to call bets and raises when they are still drawing..this will only cost you money in the long run...even though it can be very tough to let go of a hand when you see some of the money that's in the pot but ussually you will lose the hand if you draw.

also..don't bet into people who draw fewer cards than you do unless you have a good pat hand, I see some people draw 2 and others at the table then draw 1 and they still bet into these guys. you let them bet and you can call (assuming you don't need to draw 3)

crussty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »

Haha nah 2/4 is way way way over my budget just now! I'm a poor student. I only play up to $0.25/0.50 cash games I'm afraid and that's NL Hold em. I was just playing $1 (....ok stop laughing now  Cheesy ) triple draw SNG's as I'd never played before (hence my post). I've won two of the three so far! At that level though everyone calls everything! Due to my winning streak I might consider a $5 one 

Smilies are fun.

Cheers for the replies man.......I may see you at a 2/4 triple draw table soon!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:43:33 PM by crussty » Logged
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 12:44:45 PM »

Haha nah 2/4 is way way way over my budget just now! I'm a poor student. I only play up to $0.25/0.50 cash games I'm afraid and that's NL Hold em. I was just playing $1 (....ok stop laughing now  Cheesy ) triple draw SNG's as I'd never played before (hence my post). I've won two of the three so far! At that level though everyone calls everything though! Due to my winning streak I might consider a $5 one 

Smiles are fun.

Cheers for the replies man.......I may see you at a 2/4 triple draw table soon!

don't worry about any sort of stakes you play. the lower levels are a very good place to learn 2-7 if you pay close attention and ask yourself where people are making mistakes.
If you are going to start playing cash play the fixed limit games (they start at 0.50-1.00) rather than the pot limit and no limit 0.25-0.50 games. you need more money to play those then you do the Fixed limit games as the size of the bets are a lot larger.

crussty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 12:52:12 PM »

Yeah I would only play FL. I'd imagine PL/NL would be a nightmare at low levels. I'll just continue to play 2-7 triple draw SNG's for just now and see how I pick it up. If I cash in ~50% of them (which shouldn't be too difficult at <$10) then I may consider cash games. There's a past WSOP 2-7 event on pokertube just now if you haven't seen it.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »

finally...always wise to remember

The 6 is the card of the devil in 2-7 lowball, in the same way that AJ and pocket Jacks are eveil in Holdem if you play them wrong.

A hand like 236XX might look pretty to start with but it's the 6 that will cause you problem when drawing,

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »

I choke down on the club a bit, move my weight to my left side and swing smoothly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: