blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:52:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272624 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  O/T house price % for offers over in Livingston
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: O/T house price % for offers over in Livingston  (Read 2049 times)
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »

Me and the Mrs are going to be looking at several houses in the Lothian area and one of the places is Livingston. I am trying to find out what the average % people offer over the "offers over" price and can't find it anywhere...does anybody happen to know?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Ecosse

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »

Me and the Mrs are going to be looking at several houses in the Lothian area and one of the places is Livingston. I am trying to find out what the average % people offer over the "offers over" price and can't find it anywhere...does anybody happen to know?

Go here and you can get the exact sale prices for wherever your looking at.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/

Dougie.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »

cheers Dougie.

I just had a look at this site and it pointed out that most places my mrs want to see are at too hgih a price for the area Smiley

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 12:43:05 AM »

It varies depending on the opposition.  Try to find out how many surveys have been done, you might get the estate agency to give you this by saying you want a transcript and asking them for the names of any surveyors who have carried out a survey.  A lot of interest will mean you have to bid a lot more than the asking price, but if your the only one apparently interested the asking price or valuation if a bit less should do.  Ask about the entry date as well the nearer this is, the more likely that they will be keen to sell, but this also gives you a problem as you will have to sell your own house quickly.   
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 01:06:11 AM »

I think if your heart loves the house bid the asking price don't haggle just get it 
done, if the price is minimum offers  £250k offer the  £250k and if they want a bit more
cash pay it haggling for a few grand  is not worth the hassel IMHO .

Good Luck

Regards

M
bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 01:34:20 AM »

cash pay it haggling for a few grand  is not worth the hassel

says the man who sells 2nd hand motors!!

hhhhmmmm...hidden agenda!!!

so the message is "dont haggle with the seller always pay the asking price'?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Only from a used car dealer could this advice come!!!!

please dont pay attention to this advice!!

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:41:01 AM »

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Excuse me. They are not 2nd hand motors, they are "previously owned" Beemers, some of them with "cherished registrations". Let's be right, eh?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
fearisthekey

PL: 51S1NT 4R51MS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:41:44 AM »

W85N 494 T85 4R51M 253OM5 1 N978TM1R5

4ON0TW1K589MUP

CHEYNE STOKING

MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 09:08:18 AM »

Your too smart

LOL

Regards

M
MPOWER

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:09:53 AM »

Excuse me. They are not 2nd hand motors, they are Approved Used  BMW's, some of them with "cherished registrations". Let's be right, eh?
[/quote]
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »

lol I surely will haggle ...especially when people ask 130K+ for a house they bought 2 years ago for 75k in an area where every other house sells for 120.... Smiley...I just hope I don't piss the mrs off too much Smiley

lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »

Boldie

Livingston "suffers" from being within ideal commuter distance to edinburgh, meaning that the prices reflect this. Personally I dont see very much else attractive about the area. The most expensive properties seem to be those further away from livingston town centre - I am thinking about those near Deer Park golf course.

It is difficult to put an exact % figure on the offers over figure - some will command a premium of up to 50-60% above the offers over, whereas others may struggle to reach their asking price.  If it goes to sealed bids  then stick to your guns in terms of what you appraise the house to be worth and what you can afford. Then if you dont get it you can at least comfort yourself with the knowledge that you havent overpaid/overextended yourself, a trap a lot of people fall into.

If you are looking at the "more desirable" areas of Livingston then as a guide I would think you need to be looking at about 20% above the o/o figure to get into the ball park.

Have you thought about anywhere else around the Lothian area ? There is still a lot of newbuild  stuff going up in West Lothian, slightly removed from Livingston ?

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
mjrevie

Hulkamania is alive and kicking!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:35 PM »

If you are looking at the "more desirable" areas of Livingston then as a guide I would think you need to be looking at about 20% above the o/o figure to get into the ball park.

Have you thought about anywhere else around the Lothian area ? There is still a lot of newbuild  stuff going up in West Lothian, slightly removed from Livingston ?

Agree with both of this. Is there somethign thats pulling you towards livi in particular, relative, job, etc? If not, then should look at some other places in the surrounding area.

I would agree that 20% above is the norm for a nice area but because the market might have slowed down slightly and your buying in the off-peak months, there is maybe scope for offering between 10-20% depending on how many people are interesed, etc.
luckyblind

Why did I call myself lucky?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 05:32:52 PM »

I used to live in Livingston about 6 years ago. It is very handy for commuting to Dublin or Glasgow but that is about all. It is a very modern town with little of no character and if I went back in time I would have stayed in Edinburgh or moved to Glasgow and put up with the higher house cost.

When I sold an apartment in Edinburgh I got 5 offers within 2% of the asking price and one at +25%. Livingston has plenty of similar houses so if you offer around the asking price you should be ok unless you get some nutter who 'really wants it' like I did Smiley

D 4 Events - Deepstack & Short-Handed Poker Festivals across Europe. €500 main events with €300 & €200 Side Events.

Great Structures, Fantastic Venues, Affordable entry fees.

PM for more info.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

Went to view 2 houses there yesterday..awful, hate livingston now and won't live there. it has no character and I don't have a real need to live there specifically. We have decided to move to West Calder, almost bought something there yesterday, lovely place..friendly folk and all that. We'll be looking there only for the next few months..BTW..if anyone wants to put in an offer on our flat at the moment..170k and it's yours Smiley We'll be putting it on the market this week.

I did notice something strange though..every house we went to see yesterday had owners who had bought a place before they sold their own and were fairly desperate for dosh. Is this normal now? I think that's a massive mistake to make as it could cost you thousands if you do it that way, no?

thanks for the advice guys much appreciated but Livi just ain't for me Smiley

BTW, only reason we're moving is because the mrs. wants to live closer to Edinburgh (she's from that lovely city, you know)and if the mrs wants to move from the flat we moved into in October than that's what Ido..cus I'ma  good boy ...and it has nothing to do with more poker being played in Edinburgh Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: