blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:04:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Pot odds in a tourny hand
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pot odds in a tourny hand  (Read 1040 times)
pswnio

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »

I've been thinking about the wisdom of calling in latter stages of tournaments based on pot odds.

Twice in recent single table home games recently I've raised 3xBB from cut off, 5 handed, once with KQ and once with JT. Both times one of the blinds has come over the top and moved all in.

On both occasions I've been given around 2-1 on my money (once just below, once just above).
On both occasions I've been pretty sure I'm behind, either to an ace or to a low-medium pair.
On both occasions if I call and lose, I go from a just above average stack to a stack that's vulnerable given large blinds.

In cash games I'm calling like a flash unless I think I'm behind to an overpair.

In a tournament, though, I've been thinking that although I'm almost certainly priced in, there will be better spots, and preserving chips is maybe more important than winning more.

1. Does anyone feel, like me, that calling based on pot odds is less mandatory in a tournament than in cash? Would anyone lay down the above hands, knowing that they're behind, even though they're priced in?
2. Should I be stealing with hands like JT knowing that chipstacks relative to blinds are so low that a blind will almost certainly come over the top holding an ace and maybe even two pictures?
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

2. Should I be stealing with hands like JT knowing that chipstacks relative to blinds are so low that a blind will almost certainly come over the top holding an ace and maybe even two pictures?

You've found the problem, and the solution, all by yourself.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »

Heh Smiley

OK, but with KQ probably a legitimate raise 5 handed. What if they come over the top giving you 2-1 there? Are you calling?
Wardonkey
No ordinary donkey!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

I call. I very rarely pass anything given 2/1 odds. Some might disagree.

If there are only short stacks behind you can raise bigger to make your intentions clear, the re-raise less likely and the call trivial.

EEEEEEEEEE-AAAAAAAAWWWWW
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 01:21:16 AM »

I call. I very rarely pass anything given 2/1 odds. Some might disagree.

If there are only short stacks behind you can raise bigger to make your intentions clear, the re-raise less likely and the call trivial.

standard, its called donkament for a reason.
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:37:12 AM »

1 Chip values change during a tournament and the chips you have in your stack are worth more than those you are trying to win so "preserving chips is maybe more important than winning more" is certainly true.

2 If you are stealing then your holding is absolutley irrelevant, stealing should be based on type of players in the pot, chipstacks, position etc etc etc.
Senior Flushsky

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 01:32:56 PM »

Should I be stealing with hands like JT knowing that chipstacks relative to blinds are so low that a blind will almost certainly come over the top holding an ace and maybe even two pictures?

Theres an easy way to avoid being put in that position and thats just to push preflop. 5 handed, a raise UTG wont scream as much stregth as it would 9 handed so i'd probably push over the top myself if i was shortstacked and found a any pair or a decent ace in the blinds.

At least that way, i get 2 chances of winning the pot. 1 if you fold and the other if you call and i win. However, if you push preflop i lose 1 of my options so i wouldnt be as quick to make any marginal calls.

As far as your original question goes, i'd make the call with KQ and JT because unless your facing an over pair, you have the odds.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 07:34:47 AM »

1. Does anyone feel, like me, that calling based on pot odds is less mandatory in a tournament than in cash? Would anyone lay down the above hands, knowing that they're behind, even though they're priced in?

See the August 11th post on my blog for "Pot Odds (Cash Vs Tournaments)" example.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: