blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:17:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  MTT Strategy once cashed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MTT Strategy once cashed  (Read 792 times)
mjrevie

Hulkamania is alive and kicking!!

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »

Last night was in a live 30 person mtt 25£ buy in. Top 3 paid and I managed to make the top 3. Pay outs are roughly 450, 250, 150. 240,000 on the table, i have 30,000, super tight player has 60000, chip leader the rest and blinds are 3000/6000.

I start pushing all in in any unraised pots cause i'm happy to have cashed and within three or four rounds i'm on 70,000, tight players is down to about 30000 and chip leader the rest. Its got to the stage i think chip leader will call me with king high, the tight player wont call me unless he has a 99+, AT+. Then this hand comes up.

I'm on button with A8o. I auto push all in and get called by the chip leader who has 66. I lose the race and i'm out. I'm not unhappy with the push given my stack but a post about deals made me think about this. I'm a student and an extra £100 would certainly come in handy not essential but handy. Given that the tight player is on a short stack and possibly going to keep folding, was the push wrong? Once i overtook him in chips, by a sizable margin, shuold i have slowed down my game to try and take second or should i have kept pushing. Not in this situation a lot so all i was considering was blinds to stack ratio and positon. Any MTT players got thoughts on strategy on this situation i.e. once you've cashed and your starting to move up the pay levels?

Sorry, but this seems a bit of a mess now i read it back so if you have any questions just ask.
pswnio

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:23 PM »

Interesting situation. If an extra £100 comes in handy, an extra £300 would more so! A8 is good enough for me three handed. Given your table image, the BB might easily have looked you up with two pictures with your push, and, given the blind sizes, I can't see anything wrong with pushing here.

I suppose you could have raised to 21/24 and moved off the hand if BB came over the top, and you'd still have been 2nd.
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »

the extra 100 might come in handy but if you start playing like second will be fine you're playing the end game all wrong and more often than not you will end up going out in third.

The chipleader had a hand here and that's why he called...you race and you lose but you always have to play for the win at this stage of a tourney. especially if shorty doubles up you would be even with him and then what do you do? Your push was fine, yes the extra 100 would have been nice but you were by no means garantueed second place yet..unless you have a real solid lock on that (say Shortstack is down to 1BB or something drastic like that) you have top keep playing agressively. Big stack would very likely not have called you with a king high as all of a sudden you can hurt him. If he had wanted to call you with a hand like K high he should have done so MUCH earlier before you would become CL after a double through off him.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 01:19:26 AM »

TBH you shouldnt be playing in a £25 comp if the extra £100 would "come in handy". Always play for 1st, regardless of the comp.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: