blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:13:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Advice on cash games.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on cash games.  (Read 978 times)
Flea

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:55:34 PM »

Hi,

I don't play cash games very often as I don't think I'm very good at them, so when I do it's only very low-limit stuff, I realise that people can be quite loose in low limit games but I like to practise being a rock. Anyway I had the following hand and would appreciate advice as to whether I did anything wrong (sorry I was so disgusted at the time I didn't copy the hand history so you'll have to take my word for how the hand panned out).

blinds are £0.10/£0.20 and we were 5 handed at the time

UTG (was a very loose player who called everything) and called
UTG+1 (had been battlingwith the UTG player on nearly every hand) raised to £0.60
I was next to act and had pocket queens so raised to £2.00
fold,fold and back to UTG who called.
UTG+1 also called.

Flop came 6 7 8 (rainbow)

UTG min raised (as he had every hand)
UTG+1 re-raised by £2.80
so I pushed all in for £11.00

They both called

Turn 2, river 9
and UTG showed 67 off to win with two pair, UTG+1 mucked.

Did I do anything wrong??

If he'd called with a pair and hit a set I'd have accepted it but calling a largish raise and re-raise pre-flop with 67 off is surely not normal even in low limit cash games (or am I wrong to think that!!).

Cheers
Andy

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:38 AM »

Your line looks good to me, bad beat im afraid.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:00 AM »

Hi Andy,

You did nothing wrong, but often that's not enough to win a hand. It was not the worst call in the world pre-flop by 6-7 man, but he's gonna lose 4 times in 5, you were 81% fave against him pre-flop.

These are the calls you want though, remember, you win this coup 4 times in 5.

Keep playing the same & you'll end up ahead.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Rapidseven

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »

I was recently playing a side game at Gala in Leeds, the blinds were £1/£2, I was on the button holding AA. There was one good player on the table ( 10 people ) and all the rest were fish imho.

I raised it to £20 and got 4 callers. Immediately I knew the aces were probably useless unless I flopped a set, so basically I played the hand ( minus the £20 bet ) as if I was holding a small to medium pocket pair.

The flop came 5 hearts, 6 hearts and 9 clubs. Player 1 bets out £30, player 2 Raises another £30 and player 3 smooth calls.

I mucked the aces without batting an eyelid and went for a ciggie.

With how you described the two loose players, sounds like there fish to be honest, in a 10/20 side game, internet also I assume, you might as well raise 25 times the bb and possibly more with QQ KK AA. Because if you cant see yourself laying queens or kings or aces down when its a rag flop with several callers, you have to ask yourself if side-games are for you to be perfectly honest. You didnt do anything wrong in the hand really, just someone got luckier than you, you got dealt 2 queens, and he flopped 2 pair. It evens itself out usually, even when the odds are calculated.

He got lucky just like you did.

Personally, I would make the call with a hand like 6 7 following a raise from a "rock" as you described yourself ( nothing wrong being a rock btw, I wish I could be one sometimes Smiley ) as I know if I catch a flop i'll double through you, and if you think about it, 2 quid isnt much to call in low-stakes games is it, not for a smart player or a reckless fish ?

Ive been playing 7 years, and since 2004 the poker world has exploded, its basically hatched, imho bad player after bad player, who all think there good because they got lucky and won a tournament/s or got paid for slow playing a set.

I have brought a young lad on over the past 6 months, and the first thing I made quite clear to him was that poker isnt, and never will be about playing ace-king.
Flea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »

Hi,

thanks for that - I'm not really a rock I just try to be in cash games.

I think my basic question was would normal size raises make people fold pre-flop normally in a cash game, looks like the answer is not necessarily so thanks for that and I'll re-think my strategy post-flop on a raggy board unless I'm certain I'm ahead (i.e. top trips on a non-straightening rainbow).

"Am I out yet??"

Poker aliases: PStars - Flea71 Virgin - Flea71 Blonde - Flea Sky - Flea Betfair - flea71 WHill - And170570
Rapidseven

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 09:32:31 PM »

Good Man and 
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 05:54:44 AM »

you know you did nothing wrong or you wouldnt have posted, 50p in jar
Rapidseven

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »

Oh shoot, do I owe 50p to the forum for sharing a bad-beat story ?

I posted one a couple of weeks ago ?
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »

yes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: