blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:52:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Can I get away from this...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can I get away from this...  (Read 1632 times)
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:48:31 PM »

APAT event yesterday, I'm sat with 24k and the blinds are 200-400.

Get dealt  in late position, 1 limper. BB raise machine raises to 1200, limper flat calls as do I.

Flop is  and is checked to me. I bet 2k. BB folds, limper pushes all in for 10k. I think maybe he has the bare  or possibly a set. I call and he turns over 

The question is, can I get away from this? I've had several conversations with people about it. Some people think I couldnt get away from it with the odds of flopping a flush against a higher flush, but others think that maybe I should have played it more like Omaha, ie I don't have the nuts and could get outdrawn by anyone who has the bare Ace or flopped a set, and should have passed to the reraise.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:57:58 PM »

LOL i dont know who was arguing that you shouldve passed because of fear of the redraw!!!

O.k so it didnt come rainbow 678 or 999 but you called the raise looking for a flop and got it, Its a big enough raise with the stacks this deep that you can get away from the hand(player dependant) but without that info i think its massivly -EV to fold here

50p btw  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:07:15 PM by bolt pp » Logged
deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »

In my opinion you did the right thing here. You had a flush with a redraw to a  str8 flush if you were beaten and you had to get your chips in at some point. There were enough hands that you were ahead of to make the call compared to the few you were behind. But I do mainly play cash and can just reload if wrong.
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:12:46 PM »

The reason you called a pre-flop raise is because you have suited and connecting cards. The thing is you can't be motivated to call this initial raise because you have two clubs and then worry that these two clubs aren't going to be good enough on the rare occasion that you actually flop a flush. Would you have called pre-flop with 9-10 os...maybe, maybe not, but many players find the suited nature of their cards the factor that tips the balance towards getting involved in marginal situations. So if you called because your cards were suited then what better flop than 3 clubs? If you don't like putting it on the line with a medium flush then the time to decide that is pre-flop imo.

The check-raise all-in is a really big bet by someone who is holding the 2nd nuts. There is no way you can read this. A-J with the A being the draw to the nuts is far far more realistic...or hey even the 4-5 of clubs is possible. But once you call pre-flop the deck has trapped you here end of story...yes you could play it more like Omaha...but then you would be playing Omaha instead of Hold'em.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
PocketLady
Northampton Nuts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:21:08 PM »

The reason I called the initial raise is that the raiser had been putting the squeeze on in a fair few recent hands. I figured that maybe I could outplay him on the flop and in the end it turns out that he wasn't involved in the rest of the pot anyway. I guess maybe I think that I didn't need to take the risk of the redraw that early in the tournament when I had good chips.

bolt pp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

I guess maybe I think that I didn't need to take the risk of the redraw that early in the tournament when I had good chips.

I think you're analysis of the redraw is a bit too passive, I understand your reluctence to gamble about 40% of your above average stack at this stage but you have about 70% equity aginst top pair nut flush draw and 63% equity against a set which is to far too much for a fold and would be -EV long term.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:29:31 PM by bolt pp » Logged
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »

Do you want to get away from it?  You have played your suited connectors and the flop is almost the best thing you could have hoped for.  What are the chances of your oppo also flopping a flush?
its just unlucky, and i agree with mantis the way the guy has played the 2nd nuts its hard to put him on a made flush.  I wouldn't have played it any differently after the flop.

Rookie (Rodney)

ISHIKAWAAAAAAAAA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »

LOL Colddeckhindsightaments.

HI HELEN!
bhoywonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »

hard one to get away from

and i cant see many people folding here

may your god go with you

Scottish Open Apat online gold medal winner 2008
Tragic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »

I'd be dribbling with excitement from every orifice trying to call as quickly as possible here.
Smart Money

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 03:14:34 AM »

This isn't even a fold in a 100BB-deep full-ring cash game (because the push is from the original pre-flop raiser.)

AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 05:52:27 PM »

lol, never passing.
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:42 PM »

This isn't even a fold in a 100BB-deep full-ring cash game (because the push is from the original pre-flop raiser.)

limper pushes all in for 10k.

It isn't though, would that change your decision (in the cash game)?

I don't think you can fold here though, too many hands that you beat and it looks to me as if he has the bare ace or is afraid of a 4th club - just unlucky he had the higher flush!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
deputydawg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

limper pushes all in for 10k.

It isn't though, would that change your decision (in the cash game)?

I don't think you can fold here though, too many hands that you beat and it looks to me as if he has the bare ace or is afraid of a 4th club - just unlucky he had the higher flush!

Surely the decision is easier in the cash game as you can just reload
ifm
If you're not part of the solution, you're a solid or a gas. Jimmy Carr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 10:35:01 AM »

but others think that maybe I should have played it more like Omaha, ie I don't have the nuts and could get outdrawn by anyone who has the bare Ace or flopped a set, and should have passed to the reraise.

Name and shame please so we can put these people in the carpark with the shortstacks for target practice.

Sometimes you have to suffer a little bit in your youth to motivate yourself to succeed in later life.
Do you think if Bill Gates got laid in high school, do you think there'd be a Microsoft?
Of course not.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: