blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Tourney Decision....Call or Fold?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourney Decision....Call or Fold?  (Read 3256 times)
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 08:45:23 AM »

Well i deffo call here, but its not as clear cut as other decisions. I hate the fact that you are calling a huge overbet for your tournament life in an unraised pot. Doubleup i was merely suggesting that if you put SB on a hand  range as narrow as 2pr or a baby flush as stewart suggested
you have to call in this spot,  i would put the bb on 2 pair of a baby flush, but to put it simply you need them chips your not going to limp into the final 3 and with thease chips  and even if u call and hit ur Q or Hearts or RR Strait your still not grt a seat but at least with 24kish you can bully your way to 50k pretty easy but with 10k you carnt raise and pass,

just my view  stew

then i deffo wouldnt be calling. As played i call here unless opponent is known nit. What stack size would you need to NOT call this bet ppl?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 08:47:11 AM by Alex Martin » Logged
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »

This is a very tricky decision , being as it is a satelite.

You also have the cut off to act behind you. I would ask the following questions :

1) How many chips does the cutoff have?
2) Has the SB done this before? ie overbet pots? How have they played in general?
3) Why did you limp with AQ in this position with these chips?
4) What would you have done if the SB had made a squeeze play? Would you call?

I am almost certain you are behind here, and drawing to the flush (maybe an ace or Q as well). Certainly 60 40 at best (with them having just bare  ). Your best case scenario (which I doubt is very likely) is Ax.

I probably pass here tbh, you still have 10xBB and the next level is only 500 1000 - ie not a huge increase. Remember, you are playing for 3rd spot, NOT to win it.

I would also add that if this was a normal payout structure I would call as I am playing to win.

I would also add that by flat calling in the position you were in and with your chip stack, you have created this dilema.

Ok, all good debate here. (1) cut off has me covered but he would have to have something incredble (nut flush - possible? or a set? - highly highly unlikely) to call given the SB pushed and I call all-in so I am not worried about him.

(3) I know that by limping I have created this dliemma but I didn't want to raise to pass here and open folding is just not an option.  The table had been in general fairly active and I thought I had just the stack for someone to test me with a re-raise as they would probably assume they had a reasonable amount of fold equity so my limp in fairly ealry position was to allow me to get away from the hand if the action got too heavy preflop.  (2) & (4) the sb, had so far shown he was fairly tight but not a rock, he had bet and raised just as frequently as any of the other players so a squeeze play gven his stack size and the chain limp reaction to me would have looked like a move so yes I was quite prepared to call here and take a shot that I had him dominated.

I know with 4/5 limpers, I need to catch the flop hard to continue with the hand and tbh I considered the flop to be excellent for me and if the action passes to me I am betting the pot or probably even the lot here as again I don't want anyone thinking they can get me off the hand.  So when the SB moves in I called thinking he had the bare  or Ax and a small heart. It crossed my mind that he could well have 2pr but my outs to the re-draw were enough to warrant a call, especially that my strongest feeling was that I was already ahead.  I didn't put him on a set as surely any pair pushes here pre-flop given the limping and with the flush (even a baby one) surely he check raises here?! 

I also felt short compared to the table even though I have 10BB's if I pass.  Although this is a Sat and I don't need to win it, I do still need to come top 3 for the seat so its not like I can fold my way to 3rd - this looked like just the spot to get all my chips in and thus leave me in a good position to negotiate top 3. In short a probable seat winning decision.

anyway... the SB had  for 2 pair and the board blanked out.  I was cursing my call at first but on reflection feel that it was the right decision.

thoughts?>>>
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:23:39 AM by Junior » Logged
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »

Junior - you said you thought he had bare but turned out he had A 8 (2pr)

You cursed your decision, but now think it was right.

The difference in odds of you winning against bare and 2 pair is very small.

Would you still think the same if he did indeed have bare and hit?

I do not like calling all of my stack on a 50 50 - which is basically what you have done - I prefer to get my chips in first.

To put it another way, same situatuation with same stack sizes, but you are BB and the SB shoves on you. You have 22. Say if you somehow get to "see" their cards and see they hold AK - would you call?Huh?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »

Well I'm calling here knowing that its a race and M3boy, I would also call with 22 vs AK.  We have half average chips and are simply not going to win a seat without gambling at some stage. 
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »

Id rather have a chance at picking up pots uncontested with re-raises and steals then calling off my tournament life for a coin flip, especially in a satellite. Thoughts please?
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »

Yes but once you are in this position and needing to gamble this is a good spot

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 02:37:07 PM »

Id rather have a chance at picking up pots uncontested with re-raises and steals

I would fold this hand if I had average or above average chips because this is a viable option. 

I don't think we have enough chips here to adopt this tactic, we are going to have to win a pot at some point and this is as good a spot as any.  The chips we win here are very high value because we are a small stack and we take another small stacks chips.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »

Im not refferring to this AQ hand, im referring to 22 v AK.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »

I'd agree with you then, unless your chip stack demands such a gamble I'd rather push/resteal etc my way to be first into the middle than calling off with what I know is a coin flip at best

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »

Quote from: [url=http://www.blondepoker.com/blondepedia/blondepedia_view_player.php?player_id=1198
Alex[/url] Martin link=topic=28513.msg582370#msg582370 date=1193585469]

I'd agree with you then, unless your chip stack demands such a gamble I'd rather push/resteal etc my way to be first into the middle than calling off with what I know is a coin flip at best

Huh?Huh?

AK vs 22 is the same situation that OP was in when the range of the pusher's hand is considered.  Why do you call one and not the other?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »

It is not definitively the same situation, IMHO

Short stack can push with bare  , meaning AQ here is calling as a favourite

depends what you have the range as.

My eyes are open wide
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »

It is not definitively the same situation, IMHO

Short stack can push with bare  , meaning AQ here is calling as a favourite

depends what you have the range as.

If you include Khx hands in any reasonable range of other hands its a race.  Anyway my point is that I think when you are still some distance from the bubble, below average in chips and rapidly moving towards a situation where pushing will be your only move, you should not pass a situation with substantial equity e.g a race with dead money in the pot.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »

Agreed Doubleup.

This situation IS the same as AK vs 22 - THAT was my point - as some of the people who would call here , also wouldnt call with the 22 - strange
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »

Assuming the AK is unknown then the 22 stands a far higher chance of being dominated within the range of a first in pusher than AQ with has here given the three heart with an Ace board.

that's all!

My eyes are open wide
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »

Assuming the AK is unknown then the 22 stands a far higher chance of being dominated within the range of a first in pusher than AQ with has here given the three heart with an Ace board.

that's all!

Indeed, but my question said you somehow "saw" that they were holding AK - was just trying to come up with a scenario that offered the same odds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: