blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:11:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272600 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  How good is AQ?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How good is AQ?  (Read 1922 times)
kingjon

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »

This has got to be one of my first poker-related posts on this forum (im generally to be found in the sporting games section)... so anyway, here goes:

Ladbrokes cash game $2/$4, 6 player.

I'm on the button dealt 

Folds round to a guy with around $500 (i have around $380), he raises to $16 - standard raise.
Folds round to me, so I raise to $38.
Blinds fold, and he re-raises to $110.

[Things to bear in mind: he seems to be a fairly aggressive player, but i've only been on the table for about 10 minutes].

Anyway, I folded, but my questions are:

1. Was my initial raise suitable?
2. Was I right to fold, incase he held AA, KK, AK, etc.. or was I giving him too much respect since he's fairly aggressive?
3. Would you ever push all-in with AQ suited, especially risking $350 on it - I assume that I can't flat call, since if I don't get help on the flop I'm screwed?

I'm pretty sure I'd do exactly the same next time against the same player, but just seeing how people rate my chances with that hand...

Cheers,
Jon.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

In 6 handed the play of AQ is player dependant, I would tend to call in position though, but might occasionally reraise.  The more aggressive regular players on Ladbrokes tend to take being reraised seriously and would not put in a 4th raise without a premium hand, so a fold is correct.  Going allin is insane.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:35 PM »

fold.
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »

Doesn't Doyle Brunson refer to AQ as "walking back to Texas" due to the number of times he's gone broke with it?
Benny Brox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »

In 6 handed the play of AQ is player dependant, I would tend to call in position though, but might occasionally reraise.  The more aggressive regular players on Ladbrokes tend to take being reraised seriously and would not put in a 4th raise without a premium hand, so a fold is correct.  Going allin is insane.

Pretty much sums it up. 6-handed cash game you have to be aggressive and AQs on the button is a strong holding so a re-raise is not a bad play but I would have to have more info on the opponent, 10 minutes isn't long enough (he could just be on a rush). A fold to the first raise is not an option but without decent info on my opponent I would have just called. Your fold to the re-raise was the correct play and like the others said going all-in in this spot is pure gambling/stupidity.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »

Doesn't Doyle Brunson refer to AQ as "walking back to Texas" due to the number of times he's gone broke with it?

Thought that was AK?  But I suppose AQ is the same, just more dangerous.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
marcro

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 09:20:54 PM »

I thought it was TJ Cloutier with AK
Teacake

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:46:10 PM »

Just googled it & I think we're all right by looks of it  Cheesy
Also known as walking back to Houston.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

LOL. Anyone re-read TJ's books lately? Its like mouse strategy defined. Play AA/KK and QQ only in the early middle levels. Actually if there has been a raise and a re-raise fold KK. Play QQ unless EP player raises, if he does just fold. Dont play JJ/1010 as they get you in trouble. Same for small pocket pairs. AK is an overrated hand and you shouldnt play it unless you flop 2 pair or top pair+ nut flush draw. AQ is like 72.  On second thoughts, just stick to AA.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 07:10:27 PM »

Sounds a thrilling read...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
fergus8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »

is tj in the top 20 players in the world?
im not convinced he lives up to his own hype, as the best player never to win the wsop.
also has he appeared on hsp, if not why not?
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 11:37:55 AM »

is tj in the top 20 players in the world?
im not convinced he lives up to his own hype, as the best player never to win the wsop.
also has he appeared on hsp, if not why not?

TJ is considered to be one of the top 20 tournament players in the world, I don't believe he has much of a cash game. Also he appears to have been one of the old school that seems to be suffering from the changing face of poker, has not really done much in tournaments in the last 2 years. There was definetley a time when he was the best player not to win the main event, this is almost an impossible accolade to give out now with the amount of unknowns playing poker now.

He almost certainly doesn't have the money to go on HSP as it will have already gone on the craps table.
Norwich Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »

TJ doesnt play HSP because he is broke, and can often be seen trying to bum his taxi fare home near the craps tables in the Rio.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »

TJ doesnt play HSP because he is broke, and can often be seen trying to bum his taxi fare home near the craps tables in the Rio.

I seem to remember a cetain Mr Sherwood saying that they would routinely pass TJ doing his conkers on the craps table night after night. He's a mouse and is responsible for me having to unlearn the bs tournament strategy he gave me. AND it wost about £150. Bastard.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »

LOL. Anyone re-read TJ's books lately? Its like mouse strategy defined. Play AA/KK and QQ only in the early middle levels. Actually if there has been a raise and a re-raise fold KK. Play QQ unless EP player raises, if he does just fold. Dont play JJ/1010 as they get you in trouble. Same for small pocket pairs. AK is an overrated hand and you shouldnt play it unless you flop 2 pair or top pair+ nut flush draw. AQ is like 72.  On second thoughts, just stick to AA.

In the $20K last night, which is about the best struture Crypto have for a normal comp, I made a small cash after 3 1/2 hours blah blah blah... In that 3 hours I saw QQ and AA in the first level and AK at 100/200... Would TJ have blinded out i wonder with the cards i had?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: