blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Glasses
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Glasses  (Read 4858 times)
doubleup

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »

Old age beginning to take it's toll, I bought a pair of those cheapo reading glasses in the supermarket.  While they do make a hand held book a lot clearer, they just make a pc screen blurred.  Sometimes with 4 small poker tables on my laptop I struggle to see pot amounts, pahud graphics etc.  So what kind of glasses do you get to magnify something about 2 feet away?
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 07:01:07 PM »

prescription ones
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »

prescription ones

But surely a lens has a focal point - so it wld be a bit impractical to have different glasses for every 6 inches away from you and I'm pretty sure ppl don't have dozens of glasses.  The supermarket ones have different strengths.  Is the focal point further away or nearer or the same depending on the stregnth.  I can read this post perfectly ok - its just the poker table thing.  Also what glasses do ppl use when playing live poker where the cards are a few feet away?

Do saga have forums?   
reenot
TEAM UNKNOWNS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »

About a year ago I kept waking up with sleep in my eyes like I had real bad conjuctivitus, went to the doc who gave me some ointment but it didnt really help. Doc then suggested I go for an eye test. Never had a problem with reading anything, knew my eyesight was fine but went for the eyetest anyway.
Passed the test where you cover one eye then the other reading from the board so many feet away, then the optician gave me a laminate with about 8 paragraphs of writing on it each one smaller than the last, the last one was minute and I struggled with it. The optician put huge pair of glasses on me (the ones where they can put different lenses in) and shuffled them around then wow I could even read the minute paragraph with ease.
He recommended I get a pair of glasses for reading, using the pc and watching TV as my eyes were taking longer to focus than they should and would only get worse if I didn't. I couldn't believe how much clearer my pc screen was when I got them considering I didn't think I had a problem anyway. No more tired eyes even after a full day in front of the pc.

If you think you need glasses get to the optician now before your eyesight gets any worse. You only get one pair of eyes look after them!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:23:35 PM »

The focal point is different depending on the lens. Glasses that are comfortable for reading focus a little too close for comfort at the computer. try a weaker lens, i.e. a smaller magnification number.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:25:07 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 09:23:48 PM »

Do saga have forums?   

ask tikay

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »

Get yourself down to spec savers for an eye test, then get the prescription and go to the supermarket and get a pair with the same whatevertheycallit.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »

Smiley  I knew someone wld say that - just wondered who.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:32:03 PM »

btw you coming up north tomorrow for the masters

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »

btw you coming up north tomorrow for the masters

I didn't know anything about it, am coming down with a cold I think and have just dropped 3 buyins in 400nl to start of November in good style... so in summary   "No"

(but thanks for asking)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 11:04:18 PM »

i posted on the live board a few weeks ago

next bigger event they have i will drop you a PM

MKKfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 05:09:08 AM »

No need to turn up... it's mine
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »

3 years ago my eyes where perfect, now, after spending 10-12 hours in front of a computer most days i'm in the process of booking an eye test... Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 10:26:46 AM »

3 years ago my eyes where perfect, now, after spending 10-12 hours in front of a computer most days i'm in the process of booking an eye test... Sad

Does spending time in front of a computer actually affect your eyes - or is it something that would happen anyway?  I'm only asking as I spend about 12 hours (minimum) in front of a computer everyday (how sad is that?), and my eye sight is fine.

Any ophthalmologists on here?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »

Does spending time in front of a computer actually affect your eyes - or is it something that would happen anyway?  I'm only asking as I spend about 12 hours (minimum) in front of a computer everyday (how sad is that?), and my eye sight is fine.

Any ophthalmologists on here?

I think your employer may have to pay for eyetests etc if you are required to spend a large amount of your time at the computer at work.   My eyes have definitiely got worse over the since joining blonde!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: