blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:49:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  omaha
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: omaha  (Read 1226 times)
steeveg

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »

Ive been playing p/l Omaha and doing OK, but i am finding 2 pair a very dangerous hand, i know its not a strong hand for Omaha,but have found i have bet a lot to protect my hand only to be drawn out on the turn or river, so if say 4 players limp and after the flop i hit top 2 pair, all check to me ,i may bet pot depending on the flop. Ive found a lot of players calling and a lot of the time someone hits trips or runner runner, so question is how do you play top 2 pair in Omaha after the flop, aggressive till you meet resistance or just passive and hope to hit your full house
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:52:10 AM »

2 pair is a dangerous hand in multiway pots in plo.

You should be only playing aggressively at it when the 2 pair is on a rainbow flop and uncconected board if you have no extras, especially at lower levels as all kinds of shit calls you and it's rare that a turn card can look totally non threatening. You genrally need extras to be betting in in multiway pots, backdoor draws or gutshots or better.

E.G. on a board of  and you hold  three diamonds in a 4 way pot even in last position if the pot was unraised and you can't put in a significant bet that will make draws pay a heavy price i would not raise mostly and try to peel off some help on the turn or bet a blank turn if no one else does.

on board of  Two Diamonds i would bet pot with top two with no extras and it will take the pot mostly.

in a multiway pot you could bet top two on a board like  holding      holding some surprise get outs against your opponents but if they are really showing no folding on the flop generally i may well check call the flop oop (or check raise if the pot is big enough) and look to improve and check raise or lead out on the turn depending on the oppo.

of course heads up it's a big hand in a raised pot and you should be looking to c/r aggro opponents with deep stacks or leading into shorstacks.

Generally caution is best and be prepared to dump it against almost any major hostility in multi way pots.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »

Good advice above. Bottom line dont get too busy on connected boards with 2 pair no redraw, its simply not strong enough.
steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »

thanks for advice,i do play a lot tighter than a lot of players in omaha so i dont think theres any reason for other players to think i have junk also i have been wary when a connected or 2 suited cards hits the flop,
but its your 2nd example which is the sort of thing which is giving me trouble
someone just calling  with a pair  when i bet the pot, times Ive lost decent pots to this sort of hand is ridiculous, i was thinking 2 pair is a weak hand and it doesn't take much to be drawn out against, but odds big against getting me making my full house,so just wondered if i was being a bit to aggressive or playing OK and  just getting unlucky
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »

thanks for advice,i do play a lot tighter than a lot of players in omaha so i dont think theres any reason for other players to think i have junk also i have been wary when a connected or 2 suited cards hits the flop,
someone just calling  with a pair  when i bet the pot, times Ive lost decent pots to this sort of hand is ridiculous, i was thinking 2 pair is a weak hand and it doesn't take much to be drawn out against, but odds big against getting me making my full house,so just wondered if i was being a bit to aggressive or playing OK and  just getting unlucky

the problem with 2 pair is that you are never betting it confidently in multiway pots. The turn usually scares you and oop it's hard to follow up with another pot bet and getting called if you do almost always means you have to give up the pot to any action on the river.

Lots and lots of people call for backdoor draws with top pair and they almost always get part of what they need on the turn. All you can do is make them pay the maximum but be wary if the turn is higher than the 2nd highest card on the flop.

Pretty obvious stuff really but the general advice remains the same especially at low limits in multiway pots that 2 pair is a poor hand mostly with no extras especially if the pot is un raised.
steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »

the problem with 2 pair is that you are never betting it confidently in multiway pots. The turn usually scares you and oop it's hard to follow up with another pot bet and getting called if you do almost always means you have to give up the pot to any action on the river.

Lots and lots of people call for backdoor draws with top pair and they almost always get part of what they need on the turn. All you can do is make them pay the maximum but be wary if the turn is higher than the 2nd highest card on the flop.

Pretty obvious stuff really but the general advice remains the same especially at low limits in multiway pots that 2 pair is a poor hand mostly with no extras especially if the pot is un raised.
thanks ,i agree, i think i will be wary from now on,hard to drive players out in omaha,i think i will bet pot  depending on the flop, any resistance just tighten up, just not worth comtting to such a vunerable hand
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:27:26 PM »

thanks ,i agree, i think i will be wary from now on,hard to drive players out in omaha,i think i will bet pot  depending on the flop, any resistance just tighten up, just not worth comtting to such a vunerable hand

just as a side issue, continually betting pot in PLO is a big mistake in my opinion that so many people float into.

plo is a game of betting strategy and you take away a large part of your arsenal if you always bet pot like so many people do.

something i love from people betting pot all the time is that people who you would normally class as a reasonable player and doesn't necessarily bet pot all the time suddenly starts to fire super quick full pot bets on every street when they are bluffing the bare ace on a flushing board, look out for it and try picking a few off, they go nuts when you do.
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:12:36 PM »

Im very new to omaha, infact my first 'serious' but friendly game was on blonde last thursday where i won quite a bit. Ive played every night since then and have made about $800 for a few hours of play:)  My tact and i dont know if its too tight, is to only play where i got my 4 cards potentially making 2 hands i.e. 2 sets of suited cards that have the potential to make a flush or run, or pairs with run and flush potentials between the 4 cards . I dont know if its just beginners luck, but i find that the game is much easier to win than texas holdem. I'll post an update when im broke most likely..lol

good luck

mad:)

Patience is a virtue.

steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 10:52:20 PM »

just as a side issue, continually betting pot in PLO is a big mistake in my opinion that so many people float into.

plo is a game of betting strategy and you take away a large part of your arsenal if you always bet pot like so many people do.

something i love from people betting pot all the time is that people who you would normally class as a reasonable player and doesn't necessarily bet pot all the time suddenly starts to fire super quick full pot bets on every street when they are bluffing the bare ace on a flushing board, look out for it and try picking a few off, they go nuts when you do.
i will keep an eye out for that sort of thing, now i know what to what to look out for,good advice, thanks, i am sure i will drive someone crazy ,lol, i dont bluff much in omaha but may try that one myself at the right time, nice 1.  i  am always checking hand history while i am playing, taking notes on players and found its a lot more easy to put certain players on a hand in omaha,p/f and after the flop, there are a few players who always bet the pot with trips after the flop making people pay for a draw  but they never do this on a draw or 2 pair,  if i have position and have hit top trips myself ive found it better just to call these bets letting them think i am on a flush draw,ive found if i re raise they will slow right down as they will put me on poss higher trips, if no scare card comes i know they will fire out again after the turn , the more players who call the better as less chance of flush card hitting, found i have the nuts after the turn but a lot of the time players will call all there cash in after the turn because pots so big  and they feel committed but odds are very much against them , this may be a standard play in omaha i dont know,ive never read it anywhere, but ive found ive won a lot of big pots like this , i love playing holdem tournaments but find i am playing a lot more omaha for cash over the last few months, not doing to bad, long way to go yet though, lol,
ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 09:41:01 AM »

certainly the better players will wait for the turn before making the big moves, they will go with it on the flop if they have to (although folding the nuts has to be done sometimes) but the biggest mistakes are generally made on the turn.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: