blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:42:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272577 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  1/2 cash
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1/2 cash  (Read 2542 times)
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:48:07 PM »

Hello

I was playing a live game last night and sat down with $100 (the min buy in). Im not used to playing live and i felt there was a lot of stimulus that you just dont get online and I dont know if i thought the players were better than they were? Ive played a few other live ones in the last few days and to be honest I just let myself get blinded out and made some all in moves trying to scare off my oppostion when I was low stacked. So last night i hit AQo and raised the pot pre flop when i was in late position with a lot of callers, putting all but one player off the hand. The flop was all low cards so i raised leaving myself with about 25 bucks ( i had won a few hand previous so had more than my 100). The pot was pretty big. So the guy put me all in and I folded. I felt sick after it but thought i wasnt going to win and wanted to leave myself some chips. Should i have just called because of the pot? I know i should have most likely but in my head i wanted to save the chips as i gave myself the 100 limit for that table. Anyway to finish the hand off the next hand i got dealt was QQ and i went all in, got 2 callers and one ended up having AA and I was out.

Basically the advice I'm looking for is how to translate internet poker to live games because im very inexperienced with them?  I might not have articulated all the detail but the advice is around live play and how to calm down on the fear and stimulation of a live game? I know a bit about poker theory but it wasnt working out for me live. Today is anothr day though Smiley

Patience is a virtue.

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »

Hi Mad, Im not sure how much online cash you play and therefore what your expectations of a live cash game is.

Live cash games are almost always looser (in my experience more passive, lots of calling preflop) than the same limits online. This leads to different situations postflop, that we have to consider when making raises preflop. Therefore you are going to be playing alot of pots postflop with multiple people seeing the flop. This changes hand values as top pair hands, tend to be winning less because of the amount of people seeing the flop and are more vunerable to any draws that are out there.

AQ is a good example of this where if you miss your hand it is nearly never good postflop and if you hit it is good less of the time, though of course it is still quite strong.

As for the particular hand I don't mind raising or limping preflop, I would raise in late position more often than not, all depends on how many callers i get and how comfortably i feel postflop with the hand. I would just check and fold when i miss, from your description this is the kind of game where you get called with bottom pair on the flop and therefore your hand has no bluffing value and little actual value.

For these kind of games, I would play tightish, play plenty of speculative hands from late position. When you hit a hand bet hard and profit. As people love to call therefore you can play your hand very straightforward based on how strong it is.

Any reason you didn't buy in for more than the minimum, you are probably alot better than the rest of the table (even if you don't believe it) in my opinion.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: