blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:39:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Cash on table
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cash on table  (Read 6525 times)
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »

At the moment ive started to build a new bankroll just playing .25/.50c NLHE,I deposited £100 (not enough i know to play at that level) last week.
I seem to build large stacks very regularly but have the tendancy to donk them off (maybe gamble a bit more/taking on short stacks) .
I seem to get stacks upto/over $150, with a small roll <$700 atm should I have been coming off the tables banking the money and opening up new tables?
Last night for example i was playing two tables both over $130$ and ended up a loosing sesion, maybe im playing for too long/tired but it seems a regular occourance at the moment.

Just to note / Ive never really built rolls normally i would deposit/win/withdrawal/buy something and repeat which has worked well for the last 5 years as a rec player but now i really want to try and prove i can win long term and build a real roll.

Another note/ I could have deposited more in the first place and started higher up but want to try and prove to myself i am beating the game at each level and move up the levels with the bankroll.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »

I'm not very experienced by any means, but I think you just need to take breaks.  It's something I'm guilty of, I sit there for hours sometimes playing on the same tables, yet you read from some of the better name cash players,  they set them self times to be playing for, say an hour, then they take a break for 10-15 mins then sit down again. 

Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »

Yes take breaks I tend to play in 2 hour (3 hour max) chunks as my game goes after that point.

Bankroll wise as you say you are playing out of your roll, 20 buyins for cash is the reccommended standard. So you need about $1k. As regarding getting about 3 buyins on the table its a double edged sword, bankroll wise you are playing with more than you would like but on the other hand if you are the best player on the table and other players have big stacks you are in a good spot as you are playing v deep with weaker players.

If you are really worried about donking it and there isn't a fish who is deep as well get up, I would personally play on but my roll is deep enough to cope with the varience.

You should be playing differently with you stack as well from a strategic point of view, in general weaker but playable hands (suited connecters for example) go up in value as you have implied odds. Hands like ak,aq go down in value as making TPTK is often not going to be good enough to play for stacks. This is against stacks as big as yours, people with the sit down or less just play normally.
Tractor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »

Yes take breaks I tend to play in 2 hour (3 hour max) chunks as my game goes after that point.

Bankroll wise as you say you are playing out of your roll, 20 buyins for cash is the reccommended standard. So you need about $1k. As regarding getting about 3 buyins on the table its a double edged sword, bankroll wise you are playing with more than you would like but on the other hand if you are the best player on the table and other players have big stacks you are in a good spot as you are playing v deep with weaker players.

If you are really worried about donking it and there isn't a fish who is deep as well get up, I would personally play on but my roll is deep enough to cope with the varience.

You should be playing differently with you stack as well from a strategic point of view, in general weaker but playable hands (suited connecters for example) go up in value as you have implied odds. Hands like ak,aq go down in value as making TPTK is often not going to be good enough to play for stacks. This is against stacks as big as yours, people with the sit down or less just play normally.
I think im guilty of playing long sessions, quite often 6/7 hours plus without a break.
If i had been gtaking breaks at 3 hour points im sure my  br would be much healthier.
i will post some results back in a few weeks.

Can i please ask where most of you purchase your crack from?

Dapper Street Menswear
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »

The problem I have is I know I should take a break, but the table's too juicy!  If I sit out for a bit, by the time I get back the table might have broken up or the donating players are fully donated out. 

I have to tell myself that there are plenty more fish in the sea, and the break will do me good.  Especially when I'm dying to go to the loo, and I have to play one more orbit...

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »

Get a laptop, take it with you Smiley

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:47:51 PM »

Been there, done that.  Not healthy.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
temp0r

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 09:50:27 PM »

if two tabling i think up to 2 hours is about right. then have at least half an hour break. obviously if we're playing more than 2 the sessions are longer because we need longer to establish opponent tendancies and also the tedium factor is less significant. Smiley
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 04:07:54 AM »

I generally have a set rule (and would appreciate thoughts)...if I double my buy in within the first hour I leave immediately. If I make half my buy in within 90 minutes I leave also. When you're building a roll, a small profit is better than no profit.
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »

I generally have a set rule (and would appreciate thoughts)...if I double my buy in within the first hour I leave immediately. If I make half my buy in within 90 minutes I leave also. When you're building a roll, a small profit is better than no profit.

If that allows you to play your best poker and have the right frame of mind fair enough.

I personally look at each table in terms of how long term profitable it is to me, therefore the only reason to get up from a table if it is not a sessions end is that I think other tables will be more profitable. The most common reason for this is that the fish(s) leave and are replaced by more solid players or im out of position to someone who is competent and constantly playing back at me.
cooker3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 12:50:37 AM »

I really don't like that. I think this will greatly affect your win rate.
If your on a table with bad players and good stack why would you want to leave. You play deeper, you have good reads, your feeling cofident, so many good reasons to stay.
I suppose if you feel like you start to tilt really badly or something after you double your buyin then it's ok but I would suggest you work on your emotional state and tilt control and ensure that is a short term solution, cause long term it is going to cost you.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »

I've only really been taking cash seriously since the beginning of the year, and I've had a problem with how long to play.

Although I haven't consciously been following a rule like sharplea's, it's pretty much what I've ended up doing, except even more conservatively.

So far I've played 10 sessions and ended up in profit in 8 of them.

The problem is they've all been about half hours and the profit has been about $10   [that is playing $1/$2 Razz and sitting down with $20 to start with]

It's not exactly tilt - I just worry that I'm going to get unlucky in a big pot and lose my profit, so I just quit instead.

It's all well and good to say.

I personally look at each table in terms of how long term profitable it is to me...

but how can you tell? You've mentioned reasons why you might leave, but what factors would you be looking at to assess whether the table is long term profitable i.e. what are your reasons to stay? Or reasons for 'picking' on that table to start with?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 02:20:40 AM »

I personally look at each table in terms of how long term profitable it is to me...

but how can you tell? You've mentioned reasons why you might leave, but what factors would you be looking at to assess whether the table is long term profitable i.e. what are your reasons to stay? Or reasons for 'picking' on that table to start with?

I play on a site where there is relative small player pool and I virtually know every regulars game at my level pretty well, so i can judge whether I think long term i am profitable against them. I also datamine extensively and by using PT with pahud i have bunch of stats on people.

By bringing all these things together I can get a reasonably good idea of whether a table is a good one to sit at or not and the same as to whether getting up to find another table is sensible. Also position is important if you have someone acting behind you,is totally owning you thats a reason to quit. Or if you have the "god" seat on a monster fish, I pretty much never get up until he busts.

This is all very predatory but good table selection is a vital skill in poker.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 02:24:58 AM »

thumbs up

I think I might have to experiment with the idea of not quitting quite so quickly.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 07:02:40 AM »

I really don't like that. I think this will greatly affect your win rate.
If your on a table with bad players and good stack why would you want to leave. You play deeper, you have good reads, your feeling cofident, so many good reasons to stay.
I suppose if you feel like you start to tilt really badly or something after you double your buyin then it's ok but I would suggest you work on your emotional state and tilt control and ensure that is a short term solution, cause long term it is going to cost you.

This is a short term solution...there are mitigating circumstances behind it, as I only have $100 to play with a day (I'm playing as a trader for a well known site) and I'm playing 50NL.

If I had a lot more to play with then yeah, I'd stay there longer...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: