blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Poker Tracker/ PA Hud- Some thoughts Part 2
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Poker Tracker/ PA Hud- Some thoughts Part 2  (Read 4369 times)
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

Ok well the feedback seemed relatively positive about my 1st post. So i will discuss some of the less used stats in PT. Remember these are stats are not to be taken as gospel, just as a way to get extra reads on an opponent, this will all relate to the game I play 6 max NLHE.
All these stats can be found on the general info page in PT and can be displayed as stat in PAHUD.

Went to SD %- Tells you how often someone goes to a showdown (ie how often they still have cards after the river) when they have seen a flop, it gives you guide to how stubborn someone gets postflop.

Below 25%- These people tend to be quite tight postflop and generally are showing down strong hands, while you may be able to bluff these players off a mediocre hand. If they are still firing by the river you better have a hand to go to war with.

25-30%- This is the middling ground and most players fit into this category. If an opponent is in this range this doesn't tend to change my read and i will play accordingly as if they were an unknown.

30%+- These people are your calling stations and my favourite type. Value betting is key here, value bet,value bet and oh value bet again, they are nonbelievers and always think you might be bluffing. I will often have a note on them like DO NOT BLUFF, just to remind myself.

A caveat about this is that aggression factor (discussed in my 1st post) has an affect on this, players who are aggressive tend not to showdown as many hands as they get people to fold on earlier streets alot. Whereas passive players the opposite is true.

Att. to steal blinds- Attempt to steal blinds% I believe this is how often you attempt to steal the blinds preflop from the co/button when it is folded to you ,i might be wrong. This is crucial stat as it gives you a guide to how positionally aware a player is. Position is a key concept in any form of poker but especially in shorthanded, big bet games (pot and no limit) where postflop position is massive. Also picking up the blinds regularly effects your win rate alot more than people think.

Under 20%- These players tend to be not positionally aware and are not using their position to their advantage. Therefore we don't want to go defending our blinds lightly against these players. They are good players to be to your right as your blinds won't be under constant attack. Alot of players fit into this category, most novices have no concept of good positional play.

20-30%- We can assume these players have some positional awareness and should be looking to defend abit more against these players with hand like aj/a10,kq etc. They would be not be categorised as super aggressive imo and there is no need to get out of line or make a big attempt to play back at these players.

30%+ Now these are the guys you don't want on your button when you are in the blinds, they are relentless and are opening with a wide range from position. Thats not to mean they aren't exploitable, 3betting out of the blinds is a very valid tactic and i do it alot early on basically as firstly its +ev and secondly it sends a message. These tend to be good players especially if the rest of their stats look solid, good players are always positionally aware.

Folded bb to steal and folded sb to steal- These stats are the flip side of attempt to steal blinds and show often a player will defend their sb/bb to someone trying to steal blinds. The sb stat always tends to be 10-15% higher than the bb stat for obvious reasons that you already have more invested in the big blind and you are closing the action.

This stat tends to run in line with VPIP (see my first post) and for the bb I have nice little formula to see if they are in line. 100-VPIP= Defends bb%. For example i play with a 22 VPIP and my fold to bb is around 80% which is pretty close. When these are way out of line I make a note as it tells my they love their blinds, always the folded to steal bb % is alot lower than it should be.

I tend change my raising range against players who defend their blinds too much, I raise abit less especially with suited connectors as they play worse against a wide range than a tight range and raise more hands that have top pair potential like k8 etc.

I'm not sure about giving exact ranges for this stat as its so related to vpip but if your stat are less 80/70 ( bb/sb) you are defending too much imo.

Won $ Wsf % - Which means how often you win the pot when you see the flop, "won dollars when seen flop".I have to mention this as its the new "in fashion" stat especially in 6 max. Basically its a measure of how often you are going after the pot and we should be trying to win small and big pots in cash, this is often overlooked, every pot is worth fighting for and will increase your win rate.

Below 35%- This is too low imo, you aren't fighting for enough pots and are giving up too soon. Alot of passive players fit into this category.

35-40%- This is the middling ground and alot of solid players fit into this category. They are going after pots but probably still missing spots to take down the dead money.

40%- These guys are super aggressive and are going after every pot.

This stat is skewed by a couple of factors firstly if you table/site selection is good, getting over 40 is damn hard as you will probably be playing with a bunch of calling stations and therefore they are calling with any piece of the flop. So in reaction you are looking to get strong hands and taking them to valuetown once you have it. Also bad maniac players can have big numbers here as they are bluffing wildly and taking down alot of pots as everyone is waiting for them to make a mistake in a big pot. I tend to look at this stat more from a personal point of view as do others.

As before let me know if you have any comments on what I have wrote, whether to disagree or question some of my thoughts. I reckon I probably have one more post in me, if there is sufficient interest.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:47:12 PM by Longy » Logged
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:18:37 PM »

Great stuff again.  Will re-read and absorb, and then probably have some questions.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
rossfourfive

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:26:17 PM »

Nice one, very useful stuff. I realise you are writing this from a 6-max perspective but does most of it still apply to full ring or would the ranges you have provided be different for full ring?
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »

Nice one, very useful stuff. I realise you are writing this from a 6-max perspective but does most of it still apply to full ring or would the ranges you have provided be different for full ring?

I will be honest im not sure,I did play full ring back in the day but it is well over 18 months since I played a hand of full ring. I would imagine for the stats discussed in this post they would be around the same range. As for vpip and pfr (discussed in 1st post) they are going to be different.
cooker3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:20:07 PM »

Here is a bit more "advanced" version of how to use pahud properly which I thought was rather good

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=12588900&an=0&page=0#Post12588900
Nem

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »

Pokey!

http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=ssplnlpoker&Number=4946669&page=0&fpart=1
Longy

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »

Yeah some credit for my ramblings goes the two posts above, both well worth reading imo. Pokey on 2p2 is a great poster.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: