blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272601 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Book suggestions (For a 13 year old)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book suggestions (For a 13 year old)  (Read 3851 times)
redimp

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »

Our daughter Jayde is a bookworm,she reads all the time.

Starting with the Jaqueline Wilson (Tracey Beaker books) she has well surpassed them now.

After the HP and LOTR books,she needed a new higher level to read,the only one we could think of that we had in the house was 1984,she loved it!!

Any thoughts on what she could read next? We have thought about Brave New World or Catcher in the Rye?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Shelly x
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »

I was an avid reader as a kid too.  I think I was around 12 or 13 when I started reading some Shakespeare stuff - might be worth a go if she's not read them yet.

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:08:19 AM »

Oh - and I'm sure a lot of us remember reading Judy Blume's 'Forever' at that age too Cheesy

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
danafish

banjos!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:11:43 AM »

"The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. I think deep down that book's why Jen and I read Classics at college.
HOLDorFOLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 12:14:39 AM »

Hi Shelly

I read 1984 at school at that age and straight after that we had to read All Quiet on the Western Front - and although it may not seem like the best of recommendations it's the one book I thoroughly enjoyed reading at school and have always remembered.

FWIW it seemed to go down well with the whole class - as in the majority of us finished reading it at home when we were 'supposed' to read a chapter at a time lol.

I am also an avid bookworm, about 14-15 was when I discovered Crime Fiction books which opened me to a whole world of Forensics. If I could turn back time and change my study options I would love to have studied towards that.

Mich/x

“Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 02:04:33 AM »

Harrington on Holdem? The trilogy.

Very educational & interesting.

Dont thank me.

Vinny.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Renegade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »

Has she read all of the LOTRs books? There is still the Hobbit and Silmarillion if not. I remember when I was in school and we were forced to visit the Library once a week for like an hour I used to just look at True Crime books. Like Jack the Ripper and modern stuff. But if your looking for fantasy like Harry Potter and LOTRs then you should try some Phillip Pullman stuff, Amber Spyglass, Northern Lights, they're all great books. 

madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:45:01 AM »

To kill a mocking bird?

Patience is a virtue.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:32:08 AM »

Let Jayde loose on Amazon. Look up the books she has read and liked and see what other people who bought the book have liked.

I wouldn't worry about the specific fact she's 13 - if she's done 1984 and LOTR then she's passed 'kid's books'. Seeing as she's read 1984, Brave New World is an obvious choice - I read it at about that age and loved it.

In terms of classic books, Charles Dickens' stuff is very readable (schools do too much Shakespeare and not enough Dickens, IMO). Jane Austen as well might be good.
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »

try some Phillip Pullman stuff, Amber Spyglass, Northern Lights, they're all great books.

I'd recommend these also.

What about joining the local library. The most fantastic local resource for communities, & they are never used enough.

The book that really got me into reading as a kid was "My Family & Other Animals" by Gerald Durrell. I've just started reading it again, its still a magical book to me.

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
rex008

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 09:55:10 AM »

I have to say I'm not a big fan of reading old stuff just cos it's old. I read vast amounts when I was young, and still do. Easily get through a book a week, and sometimes 2.
How about Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy? Main character is a girl around 13 YO. Ignore the film - the books are way way better (although I quite liked the film, but I'd already read the books). And once she's read them, you can read them as well - they work on many levels. Wonderful books.
I'd recommend anything by Terry Pratchett as well. Recent discworld stuff works on many levels as well - she may not get some of the satire in there, but you don't really have to to enjoy them.
How old is she? I'd recommend Iain Banks for some "grittier" reading, but there's some fairly adult stuff in a lot of his books.

Andrew

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
The secret to a happy life - "Never pass up a chance to have sex or appear on television." - Gore Vidal
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »

Gone With the Wind might be a good one.

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:02:43 AM »

when i was that age i was reading the Bronte sister books..Jane Eyre,Wuthering Heights and so on.
i also think the hobbit is a must if she has not read that.

ACE2M

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »

"The Secret History" by Donna Tartt. I think deep down that book's why Jen and I read Classics at college.

i'm half way through this, brilliant so far.

phillip pullmans trilogy is perfect imo.

some sebastian faulks i always recommend to anyone, beautiful language and images.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:24:26 AM by ACE2M » Logged
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:27 AM »

Catch 22 is good. Tom Sawyer is fantastic for a 13 YO  would say

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: