blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 03:33:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272938 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Book suggestions (For a 13 year old)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Book suggestions (For a 13 year old)  (Read 3905 times)
TEX FITZ

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

dunno if she would like this but i read it about that age and couldn't put it down till the end :-

The Kon-Tiki Expedition  by Thor Heyerdahl

Heyerdahl decided that the best way to support his theories about Polynesian migrations was to build and sail a balsa wood raft across the Pacific. What is wonderful about the book is his account of the perilous journey itself. There is a palpable sence of vunerability on the sea, but also an increasing affinity with the ocean and its sealife. It is simply written but a excellent account of a famous journey. 

epileptic cowboy
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »

dunno if she would like this but i read it about that age and couldn't put it down till the end :-

The Kon-Tiki Expedition  by Thor Heyerdahl

Heyerdahl decided that the best way to support his theories about Polynesian migrations was to build and sail a balsa wood raft across the Pacific. What is wonderful about the book is his account of the perilous journey itself. There is a palpable sence of vunerability on the sea, but also an increasing affinity with the ocean and its sealife. It is simply written but a excellent account of a famous journey. 

He also did The Ra Expeditions which was about crossing the Atlantic in an Egyptian papyrus boat.

This one in fact -

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

If she's particularly interested in books then I'd recommend "The Book of Lost Things" by John Connolly which is a very good dramatic story which uses a lot of old myths and folklore as plot devices.

And for the comedy variety of books about books, or fiction about fiction, then there is Jasper Ffordes 'Thursday Next' series.

* The Eyre Affair (2001)
    * Lost in a Good Book (2002)
    * The Well of Lost Plots (2003)
    * Something Rotten (2004)
    * First Among Sequels (2007)

These would be particularly good, because they reference so many other books it could give her further ideas of what to read afterwards.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Raindogs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

If she liked 1984 then Brave New World is a good choice as it is a similar type of book.
HOLDorFOLD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

In terms of classic books, Charles Dickens' stuff is very readable (schools do too much Shakespeare and not enough Dickens, IMO).

“Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect.”  Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

http://www.thecull.com/stoppage.asp

A good story & a good read, written by a guy who runs a drop in centre for drug addicts - my mates teenage daughter loved it and said how unusual it was for there to be gritty reality in a book about drugs for kids.

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 03:24:28 PM »

I was and still am very big on reading. At 13, though, don't try and depress her just yet.

I'd recommend books by Robin Hobb - The Farseer trilogy, Liveship Trader trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy in that order.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld is also choc-a-bloc full of classics. I could read his stuff non-stop.

Raymond E. Feist also wrote some good books that I enjoyed, again it's fantasy genre - They start with a fantastic book called 'Magician'

George R. R. Martin - A song of ice and fire - This series is absolutely fantastical, and is uncontested in the fantasy genre.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician series is based around a young girl as the central character, which she might prefer to some of the others.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
barhell

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 09:02:06 PM »

Ooh yeah something a bit more modern - 'We need to talk about Kevin'

Wife recommended to me, I started and thought it was cr*p and girl (great at book reviews aren't I?). Well it grew on me and was an amazing read. I'm pretty sure a teenager could handle it. Certainly a lot easier to read than alot of the classics...

I've got it upstairs and it is still only part read, i just couldn't get into this at all.

I'd recommend books by Robin Hobb - The Farseer trilogy, Liveship Trader trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy in that order.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld is also choc-a-bloc full of classics. I could read his stuff non-stop.

Trudi Canavan's Black Magician series is based around a young girl as the central character, which she might prefer to some of the others.

I would agree whole heartedly with these suggestions, Trudi Canavan also has The Age of Five series which is very readable.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »

At 13 I had only just reached the             Wishing Chair    stage

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »

BTW

I gave up on We need to talk about Kevin,should i restart?

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »

BTW

I hate giving up on books but found this one really hard going - think I tried 3 times before giving in for good.  Lots of friends said the same.  I read for pleasure, so it shouldn't feel like a chore.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:29:07 PM by Claw75 » Logged

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
redimp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 09:45:51 PM »

Many many thanks for all the replies.

Jayde has read through the thread,and could not belive all the wonderful posts and exciting books you have all spoke about.

She is going to read Brave New World first as we have that here,but she is compling a list from all your suggestions of books, she wishes Pete and I to buy for her.

This going to cost me a fortune lol

Thanks once again
b4matt

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »

Animal Farm- a really great multi leveled book. Also the Independent has today listed the Top ten books for teens, coincidence huh!
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 02:38:25 PM »

"the curious incident of the dog in the night time"

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/childrens/grownups/davidficklingbooks/curious/
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

BTW

I'd definetly give it another go once you get over the fact that she is writing letters (how annoying to start with??)it does actually become a very good read.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: