blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:09:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  LHE bet or not bet here ???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LHE bet or not bet here ???  (Read 3316 times)
jpean

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:18:16 AM »

My question is about a classic situation in Limit Hold'em and I would like have some advice of what do in such situation.

Here is an exemple of some hand :

Transcript for game #15703740642 requested by julienfetus (jpean.net@hotmail.fr)
*********** # 1 **************
PokerStars Game #15703740642:  Hold'em Limit ($0.10/$0.20) - 2008/03/03 - 02:03:06 (ET)
Table 'Dione' 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 2: WiseOldFox ($9.80 in chips)
Seat 3: julienfetus ($6.43 in chips)
Seat 4: I8alluchips ($7.60 in chips)
Seat 5: eternitytom ($5.18 in chips)
julienfetus: posts small blind $0.05
I8alluchips: posts big blind $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to julienfetus [three diamonds ]
Dealt to I8alluchips [ ]
eternitytom: calls $0.10
WiseOldFox: folds
julienfetus: calls $0.05
I8alluchips: checks
*** FLOP *** [ ]
Pot Size : 0.30$
julienfetus: bets $0.10
I8alluchips: raises $0.10 to $0.20
eternitytom: calls $0.20
Julienfetus: raises $0.10 to $0.30
I8alluchips: raises $0.10 to $0.40
eternitytom: calls $0.20
julienfetus: calls $0.10
*** TURN *** [ ] []
Pot Size : 1.40$

Here, I flop an open-ended straight draw. I bet to give me the odds on the future streets and to make a big pot if I hit my card.

I hit it on the turn. But supposing that I knew that my opponent had 2 pairs.
On the turn, there is a Pot size of 1$40. because I know what he have, I know that I have the best hand NOW ! but he has 4 outs to make a fullhouse.

So If I bet, I give him the odds to call me(and so HE will earn money in the long term, so I'll loose) , and if I don't bet, I give him a free card. What should I do ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 07:21:11 AM by jpean » Logged

trying to stay at $0.10/$0.25...
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »

In Limit hold'em people almost always get the odds to call...and they almost always do. If I think he would re-raise me I would bet here...If I think he would bet if I check, I check.

I want a fair bit of money to go into the pot here so I do whatever I think does that.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:29 AM »

I would bet/call the flop not bet/raise and check/raise the turn.

You are right that you don't want to give free cards but as he capped the flop he is prob gonna bet the turn when you check.

You will always get outdrawn in LHE that's just the way it is, it is still right to protect your hand by betting or check/raising, 4 outs means you're a big favourite to win, just try to get as much money in as poss now and I would prob bet/call if the river pairs the board.
jpean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »

In fact, the hand I've posted was ONLYan exemple of a common situation in LHE : When you have a made hand and you think that your opponent is drawing, should you bet(knowing you give him correct odds) or waite for the river and give him a free card ?

same question on the flop : Should I bet or wait the big bets on the turn to "destroy" the odds ?

trying to stay at $0.10/$0.25...
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:49:42 AM »

well him getting 10/1 is worse for him than getting a free card so yeah sure, if you have a made hand and think he is drawing you should be betting.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 05:09:47 PM »

same question on the flop : Should I bet or wait the big bets on the turn to "destroy" the odds ?

There are some theoretical situations where if the pot is already small it can be better to check the flop, but I think that they are few and far between.   

I don't think that there are any situations where it is correct to check the turn to keep the pot small, but I suppose if you were in a situation where you thought that a worse hand would bet the turn and river, but only a better hand would call a turn and river bet, check calling is ok, but it is probably a bit weak to play this way. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: