blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Small Blind Play
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Small Blind Play  (Read 5615 times)
seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:34:37 AM »

Posted this subject a while back on PHA seemed to help a bit.

This seems to be the position that i misplay the most.  i think it would be most profitable for me to fold almost every hand unless its a monster.

Has anyone had problems with this in the past or now? if so did you find there is anything thats helped you?

mainly MTT's and STT's i play, not much cash.

Cheers
Joe
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:42:50 AM »

Don't play junk is key, don't get attached to the small blind once its in its not yours Wink

Always remember your out of position for the rest of the hand.

seven2unsuited

josepebhoy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »

i know, thats the problem being in hands where i would not normally be involved in then catching something.  but even when i do have something i f%$ked it up take the 88 hand in the stanley for example
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 08:21:59 AM »

Playing tight from the sb is what I would recommend, it is the worst position post flop making all your decisions harder. By all means make up with small pairs and suited connectors which you can play as either i hit big or pass mode, if you are getting a good price.

Im sure others (Boldie) will disagree with me but I think its a fundamental mistake playing too much from the sb in any form of NLHE.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:37 AM »

Playing tight from the sb is what I would recommend, it is the worst position post flop making all your decisions harder. By all means make up with small pairs and suited connectors which you can play as either i hit big or pass mode, if you are getting a good price.

Im sure others (Boldie) will disagree with me but I think its a fundamental mistake playing too much from the sb in any form of NLHE.

If it's limped round to you (in a cash game), it's correct to call with ATCs though, isn't it?  The key is being able to let them go if you half-hit a flop I would have thought.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:14:12 AM »

If it's limped round to you (in a cash game), it's correct to call with ATCs though, isn't it?  The key is being able to let them go if you half-hit a flop I would have thought.

Hmmm are you winding me up, lol.

The point is hardly anyone is good enough postflop to compensate for the strength of hand preflop (lots of hands have massive reverse implied odds) and the positional disadvantage. Alot of people think they are but very few of them actual turn a profit from limping atc here, such is the ego of a poker player.

As most of us mere mortals on this board don't fit into the post flop geniuses category, I would advise playing tight from the sb.
LuckyLloyd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »

No. The correct answer from the small blind is usually: fold.

"All glory comes from daring to begin" - Eugene F. Ware.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:55:57 AM »

That explains where many of my chips disappear to then.  I was working along the same lines as Kin, playing ATC's in a limp fest pot, hoping to hit it and willing to get out if it doesn't.  Why do people go on about pot odds then?  Just when we get a handle on one aspect, the goal posts are changed.  My head hurts.  Must fold SB more often...cheers!

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »

No. The correct answer from the small blind is usually: fold.

Oh, it thought it was just me being a nit again.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

Pot odds is ok with any two cards, but what are you hoping to hit with your raggy cards from the small blind?   If you hold Q4o and it comes queen high, you don't really know where you are in the pot.  You're really hoping for a miracle flop of QQQ, QQ4 etc, which even for the price of the small blind isn't worth it.

steeveg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

i agree ,playing bad cards from the sb is not worth it in the long run, you just dont know where you stand with kickers and before you know you have thrown away chips on a hand you knew you should not of been playing, i used to think it looked weak and tight to keep folding the sb ,dont give it a second thought now
LuckyLloyd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

That explains where many of my chips disappear to then.  I was working along the same lines as Kin, playing ATC's in a limp fest pot, hoping to hit it and willing to get out if it doesn't.  Why do people go on about pot odds then?  Just when we get a handle on one aspect, the goal posts are changed.  My head hurts.  Must fold SB more often...cheers!

Laxie, good pot odds are a minor consideration preflop when postflop:

- you will be out of position;
- your hand carries high reverse implied odds (this is the case for a lot of hands where flopping a pair or top pair and getting action generally means you are beat unless the opposition are crazy / stupid);

You always have to think of what will happen later on in a hand.

"All glory comes from daring to begin" - Eugene F. Ware.
Laxie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

I used to ALWAYS fold rubbish SB hands and was criticised for doing so based on pot odds, which was giving me a weak image.  I guess my big problem was I didn't feel confident enough to explain exactly what you've just said, and convinced myself they were right and it must be a bad move to fold.  I'm truly relieved to hear it's not such a donkey move to fold after all.  My head doesn't hurt half as much now, so thanks for that! 

I bet when Hugh Hefner dies, you won't hear anyone say, "He's in a better place."
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »

I very seldom make up from the small unless I have a decent starting hand, occasionally if I am playing against a rock in the BB and I know I can get them off a hand then I will maybe take a look but for me the key thing is I hate playing OOP.  And SB is the worse position to play from.  I think what hapens with many players is they have a connection to the chips that they have put into the pot they fail to recognise that once SB is in that money/chip no longer belongs to you.

The only positive thing about the SB is its ideal if your short and plan using the old stop and go move.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 03:22:08 PM »

I used to ALWAYS fold rubbish SB hands and was criticised for doing so based on pot odds, which was giving me a weak image.  I guess my big problem was I didn't feel confident enough to explain exactly what you've just said, and convinced myself they were right and it must be a bad move to fold.  I'm truly relieved to hear it's not such a donkey move to fold after all.  My head doesn't hurt half as much now, so thanks for that! 

I'm called all sorts at the table (and away from it too).  Don't let it bother you.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: