blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:37:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Announcing your hand
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Announcing your hand  (Read 7099 times)
WarBwastard

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »

Are you allowed to verbally announce what your holes cards are while a hand is in progress?  For example, you're heads-up you've shoved and your opponent is umming and ahhing about calling and asks you flat our what you have..are you allowed to tell him?  As I understand it, in tournament poker you're not allowed to show your cards while the hand is in progress right?  So I assumed perhaps wrongly, that that would also mean you couldn't verbally announce what you had either.

Or is it the other way round and you can't lie?  You can't say I have Ace-King if you really hold pocket tens? 

This concerns tournament poker not cash games.

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 04:27:20 AM »

Are you allowed to verbally announce what your holes cards are while a hand is in progress?  For example, you're heads-up you've shoved and your opponent is umming and ahhing about calling and asks you flat our what you have..are you allowed to tell him?  As I understand it, in tournament poker you're not allowed to show your cards while the hand is in progress right?  So I assumed perhaps wrongly, that that would also mean you couldn't verbally announce what you had either.

Or is it the other way round and you can't lie?  You can't say I have Ace-King if you really hold pocket tens? 

This concerns tournament poker not cash games.

You can lie but you can't tell the truth.

If you say you have AK and you have TT thats fine if you say you have AK and you do have it then your hands declared dead.

Very strange rule to me.

I KNOW IT

I'm the one the right ;)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:25:09 AM »

No longer applys in Walsall Grov. You can now announce your exact holdings(new rule apparently).
TBH I think that you should be allowed to say anything and its upto opponent to work out if you are lying or telling the truth.
 When there are limitations to what you can say a lot of grey areas can come into play
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 09:28:01 AM by I KNOW IT » Logged

You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them." "Heart is what separates the good from the great. '

"All money is good, just the quantity makes it better"
      My Dad

"Poker Players and Vultures are alike. They both live off the flesh of the weak"
         Tony Bolto
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:22 AM »

You can announce your exact holdings at DTD as well.  Tournaments and cash games I believe (but I could be wrong). 

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »

At G Luton the rule changed in the last two months, you can now declare your hand

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »

You can announce your exact holdings at DTD as well.  Tournaments and cash games I believe (but I could be wrong). 

I was told you couldn't when I was there a few weeks ago..did they change this? (it's a stupid rule saying you can only lie about your hand)

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »

I was told you couldn't when I was there a few weeks ago..did they change this? (it's a stupid rule saying you can only lie about your hand)

I've only played a few tournaments there, so I don't know about them - but in the cash games you can announce what you want - including your exact holding.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »

I've only played a few tournaments there, so I don't know about them - but in the cash games you can announce what you want - including your exact holding.

I only played cash...maybe I'm just confused though..it's easily done.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 10:53:20 AM »

For the OP, if its an issue for you check with the TD prior to the event at the venue you are playing at

As you can see, different places, different strokes!

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »

Oh OK - you're definitely wrong then.

boldie

Don't make me mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:28:05 AM »

Oh OK - you're definitely wrong then.

OK...nothing new there then.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 11:29:03 AM »

No - but it looks I was correct, for once.

Errrrrrrmmm, again regardless of my thoughts, the rule at DTD is your hand will not be killed if you state your exact hand, but it is very poor etiquette to state any hand.

WarBwastard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 01:32:11 PM »

Thanks for the replies, essentially then it's one of those grey area's that's venue specific?

http://la-boca-de-la-cueva.blogspot.com/

http://mexico.worldcupblog.org/

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." -- Bertrand Russell
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks for the replies, essentially then it's one of those grey area's that's venue specific?

Definately.

=chance lets you show one card in a tourney - not sure about 2 cards though.

Your hand is still live
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 03:36:07 PM »

You can lie but not tell the truth is a crap rule.  You may as well have a 'no talking rule' as whatever talk takes place under this halfway house rule is baloney anyway.

If you can declare your hand, i.e. "I have  and I am thinking of calling - how do you like that?" then that's fine - but does that constitute exposing your hand?  If it does, does that mean that physically exposing your hand (i.e. actually flipping up  ) is now ok too?  Or is the demarcation the fact that your opponent still has to decide if you are telling the truth or not....?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: