blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:41:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Survival vs. Eyes on the Prize
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Survival vs. Eyes on the Prize  (Read 1307 times)
thetank

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2005, 05:20:39 PM »

Tournament poker advice can sometimes be contradictory.

I was asked the other day a question about playing hands approaching the final table of a MTT.

His problem was that he often found himself confused between

1. Keeping his eyes on the first place prize and playing aggressively accordingly

2. Tournament survival and moving up the prize ladder passively

Well I told him to keep 1. in mind when deciding wheter to make a bet/raise and revert back to 2. when deciding if you should call a bet yourself. Then I proceeded to blag on about stack sizes and bullying/the power of chips for a couple of pints.

Essentially this is basically just the gap concept but I thought this was a good way to help him further understand it, and how crucial it is in the closing stages of a tournament.

Would you folks offer similar advice? Is there anything you would add?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 06:04:39 PM »

Its a great way to play for a new starter, and can be rewarding when you consistently manage to bring in prizes. But in reality, its big wins we need. Casual players would be more than happy at consistently finishing in the money, but when you rely on your poker as a source of living, then its not going to do.

Everyone has a natural style but a good player with a decent stack will take advantage of those times when everyone tightens up, selecting his spots to steal, avoiding those small stacks wanting to double up and clashing with the big stacks when you have a valid hand.

Of course, getting your hand caught in the cookie jar is bad. Thats why its good to have a reputation for only raising with AK-AQ or a pair. Like me Cheesy
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 06:06:20 PM »

My particular problem at the moment, is getting caught with my hand caught in the cookie jar but refusing to back down because the flop has given me something. Or aggressively betting a good holding on the flop, only to turn tail and run when Matey Boy fights back with 'complete pish'.
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 08:25:38 PM »

I think that in the later stages of a tournament you need to recognize the value of your chips stack and keep in mind wether you are prepared to gamble for a high placed finish or are content to slip into the prizes. Other peoples chip stacks also become vital at this point stay away from from the big stacks unless you have a genuine premium holding . I would pass anything up to and including aj in the sb if a considerably bigger and aggressive stack was in the bb. also just stay away from the short stacks period they are looking for a double up and are likley to gamble. Attack the medium sized tight stacks if you get the opportunity , basically win a round of blinds in each orbit and you should do ok.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 01:09:53 PM »

Its a great way to play for a new starter, and can be rewarding when you consistently manage to bring in prizes. But in reality, its big wins we need. i

Wot, like slipping into 8th place in a festival event Cheesy
Only messin'

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
mikkyT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »

8th place next week will be more than I expect Cheesy
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 02:18:40 PM »

You could do better than that.
I can't see the field being too strong with the big boys mostly in Amsterdam.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: