blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2274191 Posts in 66765 Topics by 16956 Members
Latest Member: indianrenters
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  What is a winning player?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is a winning player?  (Read 4953 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

I was just wondering what is a 'winning player' in peoples minds?

Is there a difference depending on whether you are recreational or professional?

Does winning mean ability to pay bills and does that mean that a winning player is different for different members of the forum - those living at home and not having as many bills to pay as those paying a mortgage?

Or do you base it entirely on percentage of winnings vs buy ins?
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:29:18 PM »

someone that beats the game over a significant sample size. Like 1k live tournaments, 100k cash hands, 50k sngs.
And "winning" is a variable. £1 and hour or £1k an hour, same thing.
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:33:06 PM »

if you extract more money from playing poker than it costs you (over a large sample size) - that would be my definition of a winning player.

But as Alex has said, the term "winning" is relative
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:36:00 PM by M3boy » Logged
KingPoker
Complete and utter luckbox

CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

someone that beats the game over a significant sample size. Like 1k live tournaments, 100k cash hands, 50k sngs.

CYMRU AM BYTH!    Join my fan club on facebook thumbs up 
Voted Best Arse of Blonde bash 6!
M3boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »

Going by my definition, you run into this question.

Take Jamie Gold for example - if he never makes a profit from now on, but does not use up all of the money he won in WSOP - this would still make him a winning player by my definition.

But would he be a winning player really?

Great question Tracey btw
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »

...Like 1k live tournaments...

Why live? The money is all you're measuring so why would 1000 live tournaments be different 1000 online ones?

I personally only go by whether my winnings are more than my entry fees, but obviously that's strongly influenced be just being a recreational player.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »

Take Jamie Gold for example - if he never makes a profit from now on, but does not use up all of the money he won in WSOP - this would still make him a winning player by my definition.

That's exactly my take on it. I think winning must include consistency, we get lucky once in a while but does that make us a 'winner' in the true sense of the word?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »

tricky one - and I honestly wouldn't know how to answer if someone asked me if I was a winning player.  I hardly play online at all nowadays, and play live, recreationally, averaging only about one tournament a week.  I don't keep any records, but I know that I have won a hell of a lot more than I have laid out.  As this is only over around 30 games, I guess I can't say one way or the other.  What I usually say if people ask me is 'I've bought some nice stuff with my poker winnings' Smiley

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »

That's a very pertinent point, and one I wouldn't have thought of, but no, in my book he would not be a winning player.

The older I get, the better I was.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »

Nail on head imo.

I would argue with the sample size but im being pedantic try about 5k mtts (very few people ever reach the long term) live or online, 2.5k sngs and 100k cash hands seems about right.
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »

Across his lifetime probably, but if you ask has he been a winning player this year then you might get a different answer.

I am a winning player, but as I only play for fun I have no other expenditure apart from Buy-ins and Rake, and I only play at small limits because it is more important to me to remain a winning player than play in ever increasing size games.

I think it is most reasonable to look at your results form the last year to see if you are (currently) a winning player.

Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 07:21:53 PM »

I would say that "a winning player" is simply someone who is ahead of the game.

It makes no difference to me how long the person has been playing.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
The_duke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

I, personally, would not limit "winning" to money. (If I did I deffo ain't a winner - lol).

Where I do win is with the people I have met along the way- Blonde Bash -- APAT live games etc etc. 

I am a recreational player and I play for fun (If I win a few bob it's a bonus).

The people I have met, without exception, will remain in my mind forever.

The live game rush - the thumping heart -- the luck - the bad beat - the wp gg nh -- I love it .....

Yep therefore I am a winning player.....

A great many people believe they are thinking, when in fact they are just rearranging their prejudices
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 07:44:26 PM »

I think the answer to this question is very personal. Firstly, I would say the length of time you've been playing the game is an important factor. If you are in your first year playing poker then you are still learning the game as a complete novice. If at the end of the year you have learnt the game extensively and the experience has furnished you with lots of new skills, but you are $100 down, then I would still consider you a winning player. In real money terms you are down, but would you consider that education to be worth more to you than $100? If you do how can you consider that year to be a loosing one? A player who is -$100 after experiencing his first 1k games is not a loosing one imo. That experience is an investment, and it has worth.

If you have been playing live for 20 years and find yourself £200 down, but have enjoyed yourself immensely, made lots of new friends and you have enriched your life in some way then I wouldn't say you are a loosing player. Again, because poker has given you something of value.

If you decide to measure the success of poker players in longterm money winnings alone then you must consider the likes of Gold to be a poker winner. You can't fairly decide to measure him over a shorter period, because we all know poker is about the longterm. So if it's just money you're considering then Gold has to be a winning player. Then again, if someone shot smug Jamie in the face until he was dead, I would suggest poker has been -1 for him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:58:57 PM by MANTIS01 » Logged

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »

In other words, what duke said.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: