blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272592 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A couple of pieces of advice please...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A couple of pieces of advice please...  (Read 1071 times)
amcgrath1uk

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »

Thanks in advance for everyone that replies, especially to the first topic.

1) My mother has worked as a nursery nurse for in excess of 15 years. Today, she found out she is very likely to lose her job because of a very recent ( mid May) change in the law, requiring all nursery nurses to hold a teaching degree. She has also been told that if she were to keep her job, because of the changes to the requirements, she would lose between 2 and 7k a year ( on a job that doesn't particularly pay well). She is one of at least 70 in the area where I live alone who will lose their jobs because of this. What, if anything, can I do to assist her during this period to help her fight this ludicrous decision??

2) This one is much simpler. I left my flat in April and paid a settlement bill to BT. I called BT prior to paying the bill to ensure that this was the last bill I would receive regarding this, which they confirmed, and that upon payment of the bill, the account would be closed, which was also confirmed. Today, I recieved a bill for in excess of £100 which is due to the cancellation of the account etc etc. Obviously called up BT, where they told me my account was not closed, and that I had no say in this bill due to finishing the contract early... which is precisely why I had called BT the first time. Where do I stand with this one???

Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »

re the first point, I would suggest your mother contact acas for advice (www.acas.org.uk), they will be able to explain her rights etc.

As far as BT are concerned, I'd submit a written complaint, explaining the situation, and the information you were given during the phone call (date and time would be helpful if you have it, as the call would probably have been recorded).

good luck!

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
Snatiramas
Loving London

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 11:56:09 PM »

Is there any sort of union that could be involved......those that spring to mind. Unite. Unison. Royal College of Nursing. National Union of Teachers.

Maybe the Citizens advice bureau or the department of work and pensions for information about the decision.
Also what help is the employer giving having changed the terms and conditions. Feels like there may be a case for constructive dismisal.

Also phone up BBC newsdesk morning programmes and tell them what is going on and also your local MP. Also Mrs. Snat says the Daily Mail loves this sort of story

Not sure any of this helps but I hope it all works out mate

The most insidious of rules are those that aren't rules at all.
They are the limitations that we invent for ourselves
ItsMrAlex2u

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »

Is there any sort of union that could be involved......those that spring to mind. Unite. Unison. Royal College of Nursing. National Union of Teachers.

Maybe the Citizens advice bureau or the department of work and pensions for information about the decision.
Also what help is the employer giving having changed the terms and conditions. Feels like there may be a case for constructive dismisal.

Also phone up BBC newsdesk morning programmes and tell them what is going on and also your local MP. Also Mrs. Snat says the Daily Mail loves this sort of story

Not sure any of this helps but I hope it all works out mate

Local MP and Local press FTW, or even better... both.
Vote winner for the MP to support this sort of thing so they will want to help when you tell them that the paper is interested.

Good luck

Best QM ever

FACT !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: