blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 01:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 631657 times)
millidonk

I'm supposed to wear a shell.. I don't - SLUG LIFE

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

M. Shite Shiteamalam is beyond poor these days. Talk about a decline. From Signs, The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, down to Lady In The Water and that utter pile of smeg The Happening, albeit I actually liked The Last Airbender.

Didn't fancy this one and will defo swerve now.

I liked the Village tbf.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2596 on: June 14, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »

Man of Steel.

Explosions, things being smashed into other things. It did lack something though - it was a far stupider film than the trailers hinted at. Laid the underlying Messianic analogy that is always there with Superman on a bit thick. Guy playing Superman doesn't really do much in way of acting, though he does look a bit like Alastair Cook in certain shots. Russell Crowe does try acting, a lot, (and fails).

It does look good though, and General Zod is good - his backstory makes sense so he's not just a lolsupervillain.

Oddly it was both too long (some sequences where things get smashed into other things just go on for ever) and too short (Lois Lane's character is way underdeveloped, and there did appear to be a couples of bits that were clearly edited down for time).
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »

Man of steel.  Just one big sigh.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »

Man of steel.  Just one big sigh.

sigh don't say its so..got this one marked down for next weeks Fajita Friday... So wanted this to be good..

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

Alistair Cook averages over 50 in Test Cricket. In his acting debut in Man of Steel he averages 50 moody looks to camera every ten minutes, yet with no acting whatsover over 143 minutes of ultimately unbearable tedium

The film starts promisingly, but then dumbs down into a transformers like assault on your senses and just when you think its over yet another overblown fight between two characters you know are induestructible so you know its going on for ever and that destroys the rest of a city and lasts another twenty minutes and at the end of that you are praying for a nice silent car ride home

Way too long, way too one dimensional but no doubt very appealing to the "leave their brain at home and enjoy the spectacle" that populate the multiplexes on any given weekend.

Russell Crowe reprises Gladiator cum Robin Hood with an accent in this firmly rooted in the Antipodes which makes a nice change from his usual "lets do afour accents in the same film" schtick

My advice, wait for the video release

4 tighty stars out of 10

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: June 17, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

Not sure what every one was expecting from Man of Steel, does the job it was made for.

Kids love it, 8.5/10.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: June 22, 2013, 01:33:21 AM »

Man of Steel

*** Warning possible spoilers ****

My recently revived Fajita Friday outings continued tonight with a trip to see Man of Steel.. A film this Mexican food fan had been anticipating for a while..so fingers crossed in we go.

Ok first off..This film, at 2 Hours 23 mins, is a real test of ones posterior endurance. Usually I book in advance some nice centrally placed Premier seats for Fajita Friday outings. However I left this one in the lap of the gods and found myself in the side cheap seats only 3 rows back that gave a distinctly odd viewing angle in, YAWN !, 3D.
 So with mood already erring on Grinchy I had to endure squirming around in a seat of torturous hardness only an hour in.

So here we have another stab at the daddy of all Super Heroes. Going all the way back with the story of how little Clarkey came to earth and how his father,seemingy devoid of acting talent, heroically sent him here with a Planets hopes resting literally within him.

Honestly, I wanted to like this film, I really did..like most males I have that boyish affinity with Super Hero films that one can't quite explain. I feel I should be ashamed of such juvenile, nerdy nourishment but I just can't help myself.

Unfortunately the underlying feeling I had all the way through was..why did they bother?..the story is oft told..there was no new angle..No darkness of a tortured soul that so rounded the latest Batman incarnation for example... just the same storyline with extra Hollywood Bazinga!.

Henry Cavill is cast as the caped one and frankly there should be a limit on how handsome one man can be..He and Brad Pitt can GTFO imo.... add to this a body hewn and sculptured by the best Hollywood trainers money can buy and you have the perfect on screen incarnation of the Super one. I just hope he has no personality and a small appendage or im asking god for my money back.
Acting wise Cavill does little except stick out his perfectly right angled jaw and grimace a bit, at least Russell Crowe had a bash at it but never managed to get out of his turn from Gladiator.

The problem is, that deep down Superman isn't that interesting, unless they figure how to compress decades of comic books into two hours.
Superman is essentially the epitome of the all American good guy. Clean cut..shiny shoes and someone you could trust with your libidinous 15 year old daughter dressed like something out of a Britney Spears video... his just a bit confused and shy and not really sure why his here and what he should do....

To be fair the effects are top draw but the makers have made the most basic mistake of storytelling..Instead of painting a picture of pure clearly defined coloured beauty they decided to create a canvas where they got a pallet of mixed colour emulsions from B&Q and vomited them onto the screen creating a tragic pastiche of biblical proportions.
My senses weren’t so much assaulted but made to endure uncountable tactical nuclear strikes... How many times can you really have one character smash his opponent through a building?..according to director Zack Snyder at least a hundred by the looks of it. So much was going on on screen that at one point I lost the thread of what actually the hell was going on and when the villain was finally despatched you think..Why didn’t Superman just do that at the start instead of make all those insurance brokers contemplate topping themselves after you levelled half a city having an unnecessary punch up..
All in all a typical Hollywood Summer blockbuster..frantic..loud and plenty for the wandering sheep to gawp at in amazement as things disintegrate and blow up before their very eyes.. As a self confessed student of the art of suspension of disbelief even this one was a bit hard to swallow.

Also just remembered,  some of the most unashamed product placement ever in a movie..shame on you Nikon..oooopps..don't forget my check please !
By the way there was a trailer for the new Wolverine movie... now that looks more like it....
So five Fajita’s out of ten..would have been 3 but the effects are pretty good...

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:46:50 AM by the sicilian » Logged

bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: June 22, 2013, 11:24:30 AM »

Certainly agree with the majority on Superman. Just a big let down. 5/10

On the other hand World War Z is great. Tense, decent story, decent acting and not too long. Let down slightly by the ending but not enough to spoil the film. Worth a watch.
Solid 8/10

Ah! The element of surprise
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: June 22, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »

Certainly agree with the majority on Superman. Just a big let down. 5/10

On the other hand World War Z is great. Tense, decent story, decent acting and not too long. Let down slightly by the ending but not enough to spoil the film. Worth a watch.
Solid 8/10

Cool.... World war Z is next for this Fajita Eater

Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: June 22, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »

My dad just texted me this...

(We were comparing top 10 films)

"Mate just txt me "Glengarry Glenross" as his best film ever ~ forgot that one, it was brilliant.

My Dad then just told me after I'd said never heard of it, it's a MUST watch.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:36:31 PM by Waz1892 » Logged

Carpe Diem
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 22, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »

"Mate just txt me "Glengarry Glenross" as his best film ever ~ forgot that one, it was brilliant.

Anyone?

Superb film.. Pacino leads an all star cast.. No flash bang wallop just story and fantastic characterisation about a group of real estat salesman and just how far they will go to get that sale and one over on their rivals...

Get it here

http://yify-torrents.com/movie/Glengarry_Glen_Ross_1992
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:00:45 PM by the sicilian » Logged

redarmi

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: June 23, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »

Tonight I have an overnight shift and it is likely to be very quiet so I wanted to download a movie or two to watch and am looking for recommendations.  My favourite films are things like Amelie, City of God, Lost in Translation, Before Sunrise, Trainspotting, Usual Suspects, Argo.  Things like The Matrix, Lord of the Rings etc leave me a bit cold though.  What should I watch tonight and I will leave a review after I am done?

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »

1 Drive

2 Argo

3 Life of Pi

4 Silver Linings Playbook

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2608 on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »

Anyone?

I watched it for the first time about 4 months ago and loved it, some amazing performances from amazing actors and the greatest cameo of all time from Alec Baldwin - worth it for the first scene alone.

In particular a must watch if you have ever worked in sales.
theprawnidentity

8 high happens!

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: June 23, 2013, 09:44:57 AM »

Also had the complete misfortune of seeing Man of Steel the other day.  On paper it should have been a film I liked.  In reality, it might have been the worst thing I've ever seen.  Completely failed in pretty much every department.  Think the reasons have been covered in here before.  Absolute vacuous nonsense from start to finish.

1/10 at best!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: