blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 620559 times)
Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: November 12, 2009, 12:13:22 AM »

Harry Brown

Just back from the flicks and desperate to write about the film ...

It is a movie split into two parts, the first part of the movie aims to get the audience on Harry's side, to feel sympathy for him and to loath the actions and behaviour of the hoodies, it works well and works quick.

Caine is well ... Caine, you know what you are going to get, but he pulls this off imo, he is both believable and yet vulnerable.

The second part is rapid, you already have loathing for the gangs, and Harry Brown is ruthless in his actions yet you want to cheer as one by one he just disposes of the scum from the estate.

Overall I have to say that the film lived up to all my expectations, I thoroughly enjoyed it ... yet felt slightly disturbed by the fact that the film is not as far fetched as perhaps those living in suburbia would like to think, not the old guy turned vigilante part, rather the terror and fear that these gangs command on many inner city estates up and down the country.

Go see it, Caine plays the part well, the villains are believable and the film as a whole just works ... It is shot in a dark, moody way and while depressing at times you cannot help but root for Brown ... yet despite all of that, you don't leave the cinema with a sense of justice, more a realisation that the situation faced by Harry Brown is faced tonight by real people in real places.

great film, very highly recommended.

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
G1BTW

Yes that really is me

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »

Watched the 'Escapist' the other night, no Shawshank but decent...

I love that movie, weird way of going about things, but great. Brian Cox is a fine actor imo
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15:22 PM »

Top review Kev, I'll be paying Cineworld a visit over the next few days.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
marcin123

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 13, 2009, 02:32:42 PM »

watched the new twilight movie online last night... i actually thought it could be no worse than the original... i was mistaken... one of the worst movies of the year... if you are planning to go watch it,,, DON'T... i would not watch it again if i was paid lol...
Linux
lol pwnd

I am dexter in disguise...

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 13, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

watched the new twilight movie online last night... i actually thought it could be no worse than the original... i was mistaken... one of the worst movies of the year... if you are planning to go watch it,,, DON'T... i would not watch it again if i was paid lol...

I presume it was a bad camera rip?

7 seasons, 1 Promotion, 2 relegations, 3 play off exits, 1 play off bubble, 25 points deducted.
we are leeds and we are back.  https://twitter.com/jpmood
 Click to see full-size image.
marcin123

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »

I presume it was a bad camera rip?
It wasn't the best quality but the acting is pretty awful as is the plot...
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 13, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

its a girl teen movie...so yep;
smileriraq

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 16, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »

watched "the hurt locker" today absolutely astounding film can highly reccomend it

Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 16, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »

if you hated the 1st one that bad, why watch the second one?

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 16, 2009, 10:27:16 PM »

Great review of Harry Brown Kev

I went to see this today, thought the directing was excellent, nice long scenes allowing the actors a chance to act and where applicable, the tension time to mature.

In the case of Michael Caine and the kids from the estate this was a great thing, lots of tremendous performances here. The police characters, however, were found a bit wanting. Whether this was down to their characters being a bit cliched or their acting being a bit Hollyoakish I don't know, maybe a little bit of both.

The mood was just right, lots of little touches here and there, like you never see Caine and his pal with full pints, they're always just finishing off the last few flat sups.
The other bit I really liked was that it's Harry Brown's compassion that tips the cops on to him. The good guy doing bad things is discovered by the one good thing he did rather than all the bad things.

Film could have been one for the ages but was spoiled in act V where...

Spoiler-ish moan below

Was spoiled in act V where all the protaganists still standing were bundled together in the same place by a series of unlikely plot devices for a final showdown with a tiresomely predictable outcome. Came out of the cinema thinking 'whatever' rather than the 'wow' that most of the film had me thinking would be my reaction. It was just such a lazy way to end an otherwise well written film. I'm probably in the minority here. The bird loved it and can't see what I'm moaning about.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:40:38 PM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2009, 10:36:01 PM »

I love that movie, weird way of going about things, but great. Brian Cox is a fine actor imo

lol based all around shawshank and prison break, thought it was very very poor. 2/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2009, 10:40:58 PM »

Saw The Fourth Kind this arvo. Meh. Not as good as the trailers made it look. A lot of very deliberate acting. Just about enough to keep you hooked to the end.
Missed Harry Brown by about ten mins, now sort of wished I hadn't. Oh well, tomorrow ftw.
Milla Jovavich still on the tasty side of ordinary but final 15mins way outdoes the first hour and a bit.
3/10 Max.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
The-Crow
~*v*~ (_)? ~*v*~

loves SkyPoker

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:03 AM »

Watched 2012 tonight.

Its long. very long, 158 minutes, take a flask of tea and sandwiches.

The Special Effects and CGI overwhelm the story, but its a must see Movie

Theres a few comedy moments, watch out for the chicken

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:10:50 AM by The-Crow » Logged

don't let all this stuff scare ya.  its all a bit of fun
Scottish Dave

Im in love with Trigg!

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 17, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »

Watched 2012 tonight.

Its long. very long, 158 minutes, take a flask of tea and sandwiches.

The Special Effects and CGI overwhelm the story, but its a must see Movie

Theres a few comedy moments, watch out for the chicken

this is the one im really looking forward too,im going to wait and see it in the Imax tho, get the best experience possible for this one.

Probably go next saturday night, might get a wee meal before it

Last Man Standing 2 - Champion!!               The Shrewdie's!!
77dave

5 2 off

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: November 17, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »

lol based all around shawshank and prison break, thought it was very very poor. 2/10

If only Stephen King hadnt stolen his whole storyline from Escape from Alcatraz

Mantis - I would like to thank 77dave for his more realistic take on things.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: