blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:14:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 ... 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617606 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3705 on: December 25, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »

We're watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas after lunch.

I'm not a huge Jim Carey fan but I think this movie is exceptional. Surely his greatest role.

Click to see full-size image.

The older I get, the better I was.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: December 25, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »

In the absence of "Casablanca" unless I've simply not found it:

"The Sting" at 1.35pm followed by "Oliver!" at 3.10pm and then "Dancing with Wolves" at 6.30pm with the original "Dracula" at 11pm.

I do love me some old classics..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:21:28 PM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3707 on: December 25, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »

In the absence of "Casablanca" unless I've simply not found it:

"The Sting" at 1.35pm followed by "Oliver!" at 3.10pm and then "Dancing with Wolves" at 6.30pm with the original "Dracula" at 11pm.

I do love me some old classics..

Great selection Ralph.

I haven't seen The Sting for ages but I watch Dances with Wolves every year.

The older I get, the better I was.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: December 25, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »

The Michael Hutchence documentary shown on BBC over the next few days is well worth a look.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: December 31, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

Thought I'd try Little Women after a rec from a usually reliable sauce.

Lasted about an hour. Something threatened to happen. But then didn't. That was flouncio time.

-£2 (pic'n'mix).

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: January 03, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »

Gangster Guy back to his best with The Gentleman. Hard not to watch with a smile on your face throughout. Hugh Grant perfectly cast.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: January 03, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »

Gangster Guy back to his best with The Gentleman. Hard not to watch with a smile on your face throughout. Hugh Grant perfectly cast.

+1

Lots of lovely touches - Hugh & the posh bird off Downton doing star turns - 8/10
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: January 03, 2020, 09:02:10 PM »

For sure. All performances right up there tbf. All the good stuff comes out in January these days.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: January 06, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »

Sam Mendes winning the Golden Globe for Best Director was a genuine shock. Was 16-1 for the Oscar yesterday. Now fav obvs.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: January 10, 2020, 02:34:31 PM »

Style over substance with this film. There are a few good set pieces to liven things up, but I felt the lead actors were carried by the eye-catching long takes that the critics have been raving about. There’s also a couple of nit-picking moments: wouldn’t you run out of the path of an earth-bound aircraft, for example? The well known faces were mere cameos. I’d far rather they’d been given the lead roles. Overall, it’s a “is that it?”, since if you’ve seen the preview, you’ve seen the climax.

Agree with Chompy about the shock of this winning Best Director Globe award. Really can’t see the Academy following suit.

(Sorry, but it’s just 6/10 for me)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: January 14, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »

Well I gave it an hour. Of utter boredom. Wondering how long our hero tommies had spent taking elocution lessons before going over the top, what!?

Then one of them got stabbed. Figured that was the highlight. Left 10mins later.

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: January 16, 2020, 07:33:35 PM »

Rise of Skywalker

Well you knew it was coming.. I couldn’t let a Star Wars film pass by the wayside with no mention or review.. I waited so long to go and see it 1917 had replaced it at the IMAX screens so dreary old 2D it was.
Anyway, once again we board the hype train and choo choo our way apparently to a wrap of the origin stories of Luke and Leia and Darth and all the rest of the gang. I think we wrapped a lot of that a while ago but I digress.
We join the story with our new hero..Heroine? Rey training and still discovering herself. Looks like she’s having as much trouble figuring out who or what she is as most of the present day generation.. oooh today I’m going to identify as a Jedi Knight before dragging up as a man to go clubbing.
Meanwhile a forgotten menace is rising up in a distant part of the galaxy no one knows how to get to apart from the bloke with the map..  oooh exciting stand by for some questing and fighting!

Ok so let’s start with the visuals and effects. Once again the franchise does not disappoint with incredible epic space battles down to laser gun and light saber battles aplenty. They are toppity top of the visuals pile and we are that spoiled the effects eventually become mere secondary window dressing, put them in another film and we would be gasping at the screen.

Kylo’s TIE fighter is just stunning..

The plot treads a well worn path and it feels a safe pair of hands has been entrusted with jogging the star wars universe along to its next waypoint. Nearly all Star wars plots are simplistic.. go here..see someone, get that.. have a bit of a fight..go somewhere else..blow something up against incredible odds and odds on we are more than happy with all that as the eternal battle between good and evil rages on.
Not as many jokes as usual, but a couple of nice ones slotted in here and there, some nice nods to the past to get the die hards mildly aroused.

One thing I did like from the previous film and is expanded upon here is the connection between Rey and Kylo where they can be present whilst physically distant.. It’s a very cool concept and works well.. me likey.
Good solid performances from Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver in the two centre roles.. Good empowering female lead.. Hollywood making sure they keep ticking those WOKE boxes, even managed to slip a lesbian kiss in there somewhere, nothing forced about that .. Well done …

I am still having trouble getting my head round Leia ending up as fully fledged Jedi ( I hope I’m right or I have got the wrong end of that sticky stick ) but what do we have overall ?.. a good solid Star Wars outing, it’s hard to shock and awe this franchise, I’m confident someone will come along and inject new ideas etc into it but for now we pretty much got we expected. I’m a Star Wars fan, and a Star Trek fan and a sci-fi fan in general so it’s going to tweak my happy nipples and anyone who remotely likes Star Wars will probably enjoy it as a whole. There are of course plenty out there that will detract and opiniate and that’s fine, that’s the beauty of being individual we all have our own view.

For me solid but unspectacular, not anything we haven’t really seen before, like a super model in a new show, same thing just in a prettier dress.

One thing I need to mention that’s always bugged me.. these various evil empires really need to train the blokes who build their super weapons a bit more, they always leave something that if you shoot it blows the whole thing up instantly, don’t these people have quality control ?
Anyway …
6/10 Fajitas with a smidge of refried beans

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: January 16, 2020, 08:02:10 PM »

Uncut Gems

Oh we are on a roll here and more to come..

Uncut Gems came to my attention by popping up on my You Tube. This is starting to become a familiar tale, bloody You Tube! … Damn your heathen recommends..

Adam Sandler takes the lead as a Jewish Jewelry dealer in New York with a rather nasty gambling habit which as we join the tale is plunging him further and further into dark corners he is struggling to get out of.
Sandler’s character is on a constant roller coaster of ducking and diving and avoiding people he owes money to, think Del boy inside a loud mouthed, confrontational New Yorkers body. Howard ( Sandler ) is chasing the elusive big score and lurches from one disaster to another in its pursuit. Everybody knows Howard, everybody likes Howard even his wife who he is separated from because he is being unfaithful with a younger woman seems to still like him in her own barbed way.

The audience kinds of likes him, has sympathy with his troubles but there is still that underlying feeling that he is a bit of a scumbag although we do still hope he comes good.

There seems to be an awful lot of screaming and shouting at each other in this movie, so much so it actually became annoying, fortunately it rectified a bit for the third act and the story settled in to be interesting and engaging.

There has been a lot of talk on this film and mention of Sandler being up for an Oscar. To be fair his turn is very good although you still get a tang of Happy Gilmore in there. This isn’t a comedy, more a dramatic portrayal of, in all honesty a pretty loathsome man who for some reason has qualities that allow you to overlook his cheating and lying.

Overall I enjoyed it, parts ( the screaming and shouting over each other mainly ) were taxing to my old man conservative mind but it managed to get over the line with more pluses than negatives. Definitely worth a watch, I have a feeling this will be a marmite film.. Love it or hate it no in betweens

Solid 6/10 Fajitas no nacho starter

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: January 16, 2020, 08:30:01 PM »

Luke's review is good

Review starts 1hr 14min exactly, and 10000% worth watching Cheesy

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: January 16, 2020, 08:38:55 PM »

Terminator Dark Fate

I missed this at the cinema, and as it turns out I saved a hard earned ticket price.

We return to Terminator after T2, it seems this reboot is ignoring any events after this. Ok fair enough we get Sarah Connor back which is a good start.

So the plot ?.. errrr it seems to be the same plot as the first movie..Killer robot sent back in time to kill the leader of the human resistance, A.N. other is also sent back to protect said target. It literally is the same with different people and Arnie and Sarah Connor shoe horned into the frame for maximum dollar box office revenue. It feels lazy to me, instead of moving forward we have moved backwards and held station.

I remember watching breakfast TV in 1984 before making the oh so joyful journey to school and seeing this big dude with a funny accent talking about this movie he was in about a killer cyborg from the future coming back to kill the mother of its enemy. They then played a clip and I was hooked. It just looked so cool. I and the world were not to be disappointed. The original Terminator was dark and moody and Arnies terminator carried real cold menace.
T2 embellished the tale with the coolest bad guy in cinema history to that point. Shape shifting, relentless seemingly unstoppable. In those two films you felt real threat to your heroes, that they could actually die, you couldn’t figure out how they would stop this thing.. It just kept coming over and over..It seemed inevitable. Still two of my most favorite films.

What followed after were multiple mis-steps in a great franchise. They tried and stand alone they were pretty good but they never captured that raw brilliance of the first two.

Realising that, Cameron was brought back to help restore faith and direction. Sad to say he did not achieve this.. All he done was retell the tale without the magic of ignorance. The action is pretty good.. beyond belief as is the norm these days.. but good nonetheless. The visuals are good ( the new Terminator is pretty cool to be fair) apart from odd instances when people are catapulted for whatever reason huge distances. Looked unnatural and amateurish.

Overall if stood alone it’s a pretty decent outing, but tacked on to the franchise and the viewers previous knowledge it becomes bland and un engaging.

Why or how a terminator can look old is beyond me but I suppose deaging Arnie was not an option

Very Average 5/10 Fajitas Tap water only and no Churros for desert

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 ... 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: