blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617587 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: January 21, 2020, 03:55:21 PM »

Waves.

10 Fajitas full sir. Masterpiece.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 21, 2020, 04:57:12 PM »

Bombshell

Damp squib, but worth the admission just to watch Charlize. Can’t help but think this was born out of a “political correctness” pitch, and a desire to put a boot into Murdoch, Fox and Trump all at the same time. Some good performances, but nothing that demands an Oscar nom.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 21, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »

Thought Bombshell was just about watchable.

See it's long odds-on for best make-up Oscar.

Not sure it was all needed tbh. Nicole Kidman got the cleft chin, Murdoch got one of Gordon Ramsay's spares.

Felt a bit like Charlize was doing an impression. She's incred mainly but is no Michael Sheen in these spots.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 28, 2020, 05:34:40 PM »

Just Mercy

Familiar territory for both film and tv documentaries. And yes, it’s a depressing reality of the US justice system, which suggests that “you’re better off being rich and guilty than poor and innocent”. Thankfully there are people like our protagonist who strive to correct these wrongs, but I can’t help but think that being black in the southern states, even in 2020, consigns you to a life of fear. It’s a modern day disgrace.

As far as the film is concerned, I was impressed with Jamie Foxx’s performance, and welled up when he eventually walked free - as we all knew he eventually would. And I guess that’s the Achilles heel of the film: we know the final outcome before we start munching our popcorn, so we’re constantly looking elsewhere in the plot for surprises. Unfortunately there aren’t any.

If you haven’t seen a film or documentary of this nature before: 8/10
If you have: 5/10
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: February 04, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »

The BAFTAs

Did anyone else watch them? First time for me in many a year; all the luvvies backslapping each other made me feel rather nauseous in years past, but there really wasn’t much else on the Telly so I tuned in....

Joaquin Phoenix: I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed so much intensity in a human. I was all tensed up just listening to him - as was everybody else at the Albert Hall itself. Nobody knew whether to gasp, clap, or run for cover.

Renee Zellweger: is she for real? Felt like Sally Fields “you really love me!” speech. I couldn’t wait for all the squeaking to end.

Michael Ward: At the other end of the emotional spectrum, I was in tears by the end of this young man’s heartfelt acceptance speech. His mum, in the audience, crying with pride had a lot to do with that. I just hope that there were a lot of other young black men watching & being inspired by him.

Parasite & Sama. Must see them - probably involves going into London for the former.

Strange that the ceremony presenter script writers feel the need to force humour from the presenters. It only has a 50% strike rate, and you can feel them and the audience cringeing. Overall, though, it was a very entertaining watch - quite often for unintended reasons.
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: February 05, 2020, 06:37:21 PM »

Parasite is on from Friday in Picturehouses if any near you. Cambridge is ideal for me, but also a few in London.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: February 10, 2020, 09:20:33 AM »

Have no interest in the genre and buggered if I'm wasting more than thee hours on it.

It strikes me as an odd favourite for the Best Picture Oscar though (without having seen it obv).

The buzz surrounding Parasite continues to grow. Dig a lot of digging yesterday, but you'd imagine it won't win BPO for the same reason Roma failed last year. Especially as it's subtitled.

I've had a chunk on Boon Joon Ho for best director instead. Johnny Foreigners do well in this category these days and 11-2 seems luvverly.

Ker-BOOOOOOM!

Should probably have had a bit on it winning best picture too. Hills were 12-1 at the time and it was under on the machine. Meh, happy with Bong Boon crushing.

Parasite hits Cineworld today too. Off for a celebratory watch.

4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: February 10, 2020, 10:19:49 AM »

Well played Chompy

Seems to me that the Oscars voters did a better job than BAFTA’s.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: February 21, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »

Deleted scenes that didn’t make the cut from ‘Snatch’, quite good.....

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: February 22, 2020, 05:42:32 PM »

Fajita Friday time again and oh what to go and see post dinner nirvana?

I’m given a choice of 1917 or Bad Boys for life by the better half. I detect she has a grumpy on and respond with a diplomatic offer of Jane Austen’s Emma. I’m met with a surprising lack of enthusiasm which means whatever I pick it will be wrong.. Might as well go with my own choice then.
I’m not in the mood for a relentless action ride which I know the Bad Boys offering will be. I have heard good things about 1917 and it seems a film best enjoyed on the big screen, so that settles it. Grumpy and I are in for a bit of a World War 1 epic.

Sam Medes directs ( he of American Beauty, Sky fall and Spectre fame ) this World War One tale and the story is simplicity itself. Two ordinary British soldiers are chosen to deliver a message to the forward lines calling off an attack that fresh intelligence reveals is a masterful trap set by the dastardly Hun, and Sixteen hundred of our lads are walking ( well running ) into certain doom.

A task made inherently more difficult and dangerous as it seems our boys have got to go behind enemy lines in order to get the message there before dawn. Personally I would have used Amazon Prime, on the whole they are bloody excellent and I’m sure Dave & Marjorie from Stoke Newington with their six year old Ford C max piled to the roof would get through better than our boys on foot. Alas we are around a hundred years early and MPV’s a distant dream so it’s over to you our brave Tommy’s.

Much has been made of the one shot direction used in this film. Those not familiar, the film is told as though it is one continuous scene. No edit cuts, no jumps to a fresh scene. Of course there are edits and cuts but they are so well done that the illusion remains.

I must say it works brilliantly. It may not work for all types of genres but fits this tale perfectly. Mendes does need to be congratulated on the mesmerising artistry and foresight to pull this off. It makes you feel you are right there with our two heroes, like you are the third guy on the team. Mendes is not lazy, he doesn’t just over the shoulder film it, the camera tracks continuously, around them, in front, and behind.

The camera work is simply dazzling. At one point the protagonists come across a large crater filled with water, the odd dead body etc. They decide to go around, as they do the camera tracks round the other side following them and then up over the edge to view the scarred battle field before them. It’s almost like seeing through their eyes .. Simply amazing.

The single shot creates great tension, as you almost peer around corners with the soldiers etc so much so that you tend to forget there are not that many action sequences or gun fights. When they do happen they are hard hitting and powerful. I never thought a single rifle shot could be so loud. Multiple times you will jump, not through some cheap horror film type scare but a genuine surprise as something that seems not threatening suddenly becomes right in your face.

There are many poignant moments throughout and all done without the need to blow things up or have unrealistic ammunition rich gun battles. The horror of war is well portrayed from the wasteland battlefields, to the ruins of towns and the abundance of dead, rotting bodies left to the elements.

It was definitely worth seeing on the big screen to enjoy some of the scenes as they opened up before you, the charge of soldiers across no man’s land is fantastic as the camera pans away and up to an angle to show hundreds of running soldiers across a massive expanse of land dodging huge artillery explosions.

The acting is top draw and supported well with some small appearances by familiar favourites of the British acting fraternity.

All in all well recommended.. The bigger the screen and sound the better.. The simplest of tales told on an epic platform

8/10 Fajitas with homemade nachos to start and Millionaire cheesecake for afters

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: February 22, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »

Good swerve Bad Boys. Still unsure whether it's a parody.

The missus didn't have Parasite onher list?

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: February 22, 2020, 10:25:53 PM »

Shes not keen on subs.. but im looking forward to it... be interesting to see what beat Medes for best director.. hope it wasnt woke induced

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: February 23, 2020, 01:59:17 AM »

For sure we need less diversity in Hollywood.

But it wasn't woke induced. Parasite >>> 1917.

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: February 23, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »

Shes not keen on subs.. but im looking forward to it... be interesting to see what beat Medes for best director.. hope it wasnt woke induced

Who is this Sam Medes that you have mentioned twice?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
scotty2hatty
Gamesmaster

View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: February 23, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »

Who is this Sam Medes that you have mentioned twice?

Haha, I thought first one was just a typo. Maybe he is Medes.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 [250] 251 252 253 254 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: