blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:23:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272477 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** 'THE OFFICIAL MOVIE THREAD' ***  (Read 617724 times)
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3750 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:11 AM »

It's SIR Sam Medes. Use to be married to Kate Wislet.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »

Just checking you are paying attention

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 04, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »

Disappointing double header and a double flounce. The Invisible Man and Downhill.

More laughs in the former but not for the right reasons. The first fight scene is comedy gold.

Downhill is well named. Starts badly and quickly goes...

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:03 PM »

Parasite

So I finally get around to this year’s best picture according to Oscar.

Let’s get one thing straight before we start, this is a Korean film and therefore it has subtitles. Already half the known universe is tuning out. I know right, you can’t watch and read at the same time. Honestly you can. Just get that mind set right and you will find your fantastic brain can more than handle the issue.

Personally I have never had an issue with subtitled offerings and if you do you are denying yourself some great films, this one included.
I have always had a little place in my heart for films from Korea and China. They make some great films with great stories and high production values, things like Train to Busan and Audition immediately come to mind, and if you like disturbing horror films the Koreans have some pretty fucked up shit on offer.

Anyway back to the film in question, is it a worthy Oscar winner.. Does Bong Joon Ho deserve best director over Mendes ?  We shall see.

The tale is simple but multi faceted.. We join a poor family of mum, Dad and elder teenage daughter and son. They eek out a miserable existence doing menial low paid home worker jobs whilst living in a squalid basement flat. The only thing that seems to be lower than their bank account is their morals and when by chance the son is offered the chance to tutor a rich families daughter in English he seizes an opportunity to make his whole families lives that much richer, both metaphorically and financially..
Soon by way of skilful lies and devious plots to remove other members of the household staff the whole family manages to ingratiate itself into the service of the rich family, literally suckling on the success of their employers.

Whilst the family is away on a trip the parasites gather in the opulent house to eat drink and make merry feeling very pleased with themselves. It is at this point the story takes a sharp right turn that sets in motion a set of events and revelations that soon spiral out of control.

Bong joon-Ho who also penned the script weaves a great story that includes great social comment on the differences between rich and poor and how they view each other and themselves. There are many poignant moments, at one point the rich guy is talking to his wife and states that people who use the subway smell a certain way. The poor man overhears and is now continually conscious of his odour.

The film changes pace seamlessly, one second it is whimsical making me smile and chuckle only to descend quickly into darkness. No mean feat for a director.
The tale is fascinating and demands multiple viewings to appreciate all the little subtle nuances and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Best picture? ... I can’t argue, it is beautifully crafted and a breath of fresh air and it’s great that a foreign language film has managed to intrude upon the mainstream and make a large audience aware and appreciate just what Far East film making can offer.
Best director? .. Look its always going to be a personal preference, and you couldn’t turn round and say 100% Bong Joon-Ho ( name alone almost won it for me ) isn’t deserving.
For me Mendes pips it, just the scale and vision required to pull off his movie and it is the directing I’m talking about. It’s close though and I just think the atmosphere in Hollywood at the moment with its leaning to WOKE culture swung the pendulum. In a way it might be for the best as I said before it has opened up these kind of offerings to a much wider audience

Overall.. Excellent.. I also think further views will only enhance the experience

8/10 Fajitas and throw in some Kimchi noodles for fun

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: March 08, 2020, 08:34:33 PM »

Thought Parasite was average-good. More than enough to pip 1917. Man that was dull. Can do more reviews if requested

sola virtus nobilitat
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:37 AM »

Thought Parasite was average-good. More than enough to pip 1917. Man that was dull. Can do more reviews if requested

better than chompys tbf

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: March 09, 2020, 09:31:07 AM »

Same......a decent watch but definitely over hyped and probably didn’t match up to the high expectations that have been thrown out there.
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: March 09, 2020, 11:14:06 AM »

Thanks for the support lads 😊

sola virtus nobilitat
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: March 14, 2020, 05:56:27 PM »

The Hunt

Entertaining Indie film that aims digs at our social media society and both ends of the socio-political spectrum. However, you can easily ignore all those references and still find plenty to laugh at. You can even block all of it out and still enjoy a good shoot-em-up. Probably far more gore than really necessary, but some well choreographed fight scenes. On a lighter note, I particularly enjoyed the running Vintage Champagne joke. Woodsey will love this shit - something to go see while you’re forced to work ‘from home’ perhaps?

OMG factor 7
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 27, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »

Spenser Confidential

Netflix film with Marky Mark standing up to a group of corrupt policeman. Good film and work a watch 7.5/10
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 28, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »

ok, I have never watched any of the Avengers films and during lockdown I intend to bash through a few of them with my lads.

I am a little confused with the Marvel Cineverse.... where should we start?
4KSuited

View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: March 28, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »

ok, I have never watched any of the Avengers films and during lockdown I intend to bash through a few of them with my lads.

Someone put up a flowchart showing the optimum order in which to watch these movies. It’s probably relatively easy to google too:

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/how-to-watch-the-marvel-movies-in-order

There you go & good luck!

EDIT: that’s not the flowchart, of course, but it’s a decent alternative

nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: March 28, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »

Any chance I can persuade you not to bother ? How old are the kids ? If they are under 36 its probably a wasted effort

sola virtus nobilitat
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: March 28, 2020, 05:30:52 PM »

Any chance I can persuade you not to bother ? How old are the kids ? If they are under 36 its probably a wasted effort

For balance I think they are pretty decent if you like action films.
HutchGF

View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: March 29, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »

Thanks everyone.

My lads are 10 and 9. They're just a bit big for all the animated stuff now and this seems a decent set of films to watch together.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: