blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 08:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Ryanair depressurisation emergency....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ryanair depressurisation emergency....  (Read 6631 times)
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »

I'm amazed that the times gave such attention to the hysterical, stupid whinges from the Artic Explorer.

Sounds like the Ryaniar pilot & crew did everything right.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article4610696.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

May the bird of paradise fly up your nose, with a badger on its back.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

What a drama-queen.

Complains of a lack of communication from cabin staff, then says

“The next thing, the oxygen masks were dropping. My highest priority was to get a mask on to my son who was sitting next to me in a bemused and frightened state,"

completely ignoring the instructions that the cabin staff give at the start of every single flight to make sure you put your own mask on before helping anyone else (because you can help a child once you're wearing your mask, but a child may not be able to help you should you pass out).
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »

Mr Hadow described today how "well over 80 per cent of people on that flight knew they were going to die"

Sounds like they were all wrong then!

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »

What a drama-queen.

“The next thing, the oxygen masks were dropping. My highest priority was to get a mask on to my son who was sitting next to me in a bemused and frightened state,"

completely ignoring the instructions that the cabin staff give at the start of every single flight to make sure you put your own mask on before helping anyone else (because you can help a child once you're wearing your mask, but a child may not be able to help you should you pass out).

Of course, but 99% of parents in a panic will put their childs on 1st

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »

What a drama-queen.

99% of parents are unnecessarilly risking their kids' lives then.

I think Ryanair would be prefectly correct to tell them to drive back as well.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

What a drama-queen.

Which is why the cabin crew will tell people to watch and listen carefully at the start of the flight. Tell them to stop talking, put the newspaper down and pay attention. So that some of this stuff goes in.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

Personally i'd put my kids on 1st then mine unless it was smoke filled,I mean it's not like it takes ages to put on is it?

In moments of high pressure situations everyone acts differently.
TheChipPrince

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

AndrewT already has the 2009 military model of gas mask in his avatar so what chance do we have...

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

RIP- TheChipPrince - $17,165
Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »

Personally i'd put my kids on 1st then mine unless it was smoke filled,I mean it's not like it takes ages to put on is it?

In moments of high pressure situations everyone acts differently.

It's the chances of passing out while putting it on your kid, if it's not on them right and working before you pass out you could both die, and if it was on them could they get one on you quick enough if you've passed out?

To quote an expert:
Any delay in putting on the oxygen masks could have been fatal. "The reason you have to do it quickly is that, at high altitudes, the time of useful consciousness at best will be 15-20 seconds," says Captain Mervyn Granshaw, chairman of the British Airline Pilots' Association and a veteran pilot of commercial airliners including the Boeing 737-200.

"At worst it's three to five seconds - you can't hold your breath, it just comes out of you and then you fall over."

The effects of a rapid depressurisation at cruising altitude, which can be up to 35,000 feet above sea level for a commercial airliner, are shocking.

The temperature inside the aircraft will drop to -50C and the air pressure drop quickly brings unconsciousness.

There's damn good reasons for telling adults to do it first, it's the best chance a small kid has got.

Rod Paradise

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »

BTW I can't wait for Flushy on this thread, the sarcasm will be oozing out of him.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »

Mr Hadow described today how "well over 80 per cent of people on that flight knew they were going to die"

I don't think he thought that one through, did he?  In fact, he didn't think a lot of it through.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

I don't think he thought that one through, did he?  In fact, he didn't think a lot of it through.

Technically, well over 80% of the people on the flight are going to die, eventually...
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »

There should be a recorded announcement that is played when the masks drop,...repeating what to do with the masks and explaining the plane will immediately decend to a safe flying level.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 04:13:41 PM »

There should be a recorded announcement that is played when the masks drop,...repeating what to do with the masks and explaining the plane will immediately decend to a safe flying level.

"Don't panic!!  The plane has lost pressure, and we're going to drop 30,000 ft in a matter of minutes.  80% of you will die, and we'd ask that any arctic explorers make their way to the nearest exit."

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »

I don't think passengers have any doubt the plane is going to descend to a safe flying level.

It's stopping descending once it's reached that level which would be the area of concern.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: