blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Learning Centre (Moderators: Longy, JungleCat03)
| | | |-+  Good? or just lucky?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good? or just lucky?  (Read 3523 times)
david3103

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »

RIley's 5 c/10 c so no proper HH for this

but it played out as

fold to Seat 4 who raised to $0.60  ($6.55 behind)
Seat 5 calls,
Seat 6 folds
I call in Seat 7 with  ($17.90 behind and on a bit of a roll)
All others fold

Flop    ( I like this )

Original raiser bets $2.40........

99 and QQ are possible, but would you bet $2.40 if you held either of those?

Calling feels weak so I shove (this is my major question here - is that good or bad?)

He calls - shows    (looks like a good call then?)

and the turn card is  ( now I'm not so happy..)

River is ..... 

tadaaaaaa

observations?

this hand came in a very good sequence for me - I had three tables open with a $10 starting stack in each and ran out with $65 in about 1.25 hours

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
ShatnerPants

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:06:25 PM »

At 5 c/10c I think it's fair enough to go bust pretty much every time you hit trips on an unconnected board.

The only question to ask yourself is how to get it all in the middle asap, which you managed fine.

I think you could have called and it would probably all have gone in on the turn anyway.

Overall , looks fine to me
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »

Looks ok to me.   9's or QQ prob wouldn't have bet the pot after hitting sets, the standard would be to check raise or check call then check raise the turn at these limits.   

Nice result

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »

Yes, flop a set and be prepared to go bust to a bigger set.  It's usually sixes versus queens for me for some reason.

You got your money in ahead of his hand, so the re-draw on the river was justice really.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 03:33:45 PM »

The call pre is questionable, you are putting in 60c when his stack is only 6.65. Our implied odds are only 11 to 1 and much prefer to have at least 15 to 1 implied odds to set mine. You are going to have to play your hand for pair value to compensate for this long term which is more difficult with 6's than 9's for example.

The rest is pretty standard, stacking the flop or waiting for the turn are both fine imo.
Charlie44

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:56:30 AM »

The call pre is questionable, you are putting in 60c when his stack is only 6.65.

Agreed. It is of course the size of the lower stack which is relevant - in this case your oppos. If he had made the standard raise of 30c call would have been fine imo.
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »

The call pre is questionable, you are putting in 60c when his stack is only 6.65. Our implied odds are only 11 to 1 and much prefer to have at least 15 to 1 implied odds to set mine. You are going to have to play your hand for pair value to compensate for this long term which is more difficult with 6's than 9's for example.

The rest is pretty standard, stacking the flop or waiting for the turn are both fine imo.

Pardon my ignorance again, but 15 to 1 is the number I've been going with to set mine in single table tournaments. I would have thought it wouldn't need to be so much in cash games?

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 02:00:53 AM »

Pardon my ignorance again, but 15 to 1 is the number I've been going with to set mine in single table tournaments. I would have thought it wouldn't need to be so much in cash games?

I can see where you coming from as busting in a sng is worse than busting a cash game. Though when do you flop a set you basically have very  strong hand most of the time irrespective of the format.

The 15 to 1 is mainly made up from when villian is raising alot of hands that he won't stack post flop when we try and get it in. Therefore we won't get full value from our 1 in 8.5 times flopped set.In this example if villian has ak in all likeliness we won't stack him, obviously this is villian dependent and someone we can put squarely on kk+ we don't need as big implied odds.

I suppose you can move the numbers about and make 13 to 1 for cash and 17 to 1 for sngs but 15 to 1 is easy to work out. It gives us a decent guideline imo.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:03:25 AM by Longy » Logged
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 06:16:41 PM »

17 to 1 for sngs

Noooooo, I've only just learned my 15 times table. Smiley

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
MC
Super

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 02:28:02 PM »

You should never worry about 99 or QQ here. If they happen to have that, it's cold, but all your money should be heading into the middle.

Personally, this is a nice board so I might smooth call hoping a nice card comes for him on the turn, but seeing as he has half his stack in the middle and is probably calling a shove is fine.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal"
http://www.atkinator.net ..... @epitomised
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: