blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272597 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Help with Going to Vegas in a couple of weeks with the Mrs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with Going to Vegas in a couple of weeks with the Mrs  (Read 2485 times)
Triple X

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »

As the title suggests i am off to Vegas in a couple of weeks for our 10th Wedding Anniversary.  Got a couple of questions...

1. I am flying in to LA then off to Vegas.  What is a sensible connection time to allow.  I have a flight at 1hr 45 mins, is that too short a time?

2. Any good quality resturants that anyone can recommend in the hotels for a romantic dinner.  The sweeter i can keep her, the more time i will get at the tables!

3. is there a list of daily tournaments on a previous thread someone can point me to.

Many thanks for all your help.

Thanks

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »

All the poker info you need is here.

http://www.pokertournamentformula.com/las_vegas_poker_tournaments.htm

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »

As the title suggests i am off to Vegas in a couple of weeks for our 10th Wedding Anniversary.  Got a couple of questions...

1. I am flying in to LA then off to Vegas.  What is a sensible connection time to allow.  I have a flight at 1hr 45 mins, is that too short a time?

2. Any good quality resturants that anyone can recommend in the hotels for a romantic dinner.  The sweeter i can keep her, the more time i will get at the tables!

3. is there a list of daily tournaments on a previous thread someone can point me to.

Many thanks for all your help.

Thanks
1. Yes.  Prob need 3 hours transfer.  If you are connecting with South West, don't panic, they seem to be relaxed and will put you on the next flight with no charge.  Last time they put my bags on one flight and me on another, no problems, despite it seeming to be an obv security breach.  To make a 1hr 45 min transfer, you are going to need to race off the plane, get to the front of the Immigration line, hope no other Int arrivals are at the same time and the baggage handlers are speedy with your bags, then sprint round to the other terminal, check in+security, you are a long shot to do it.  If you can change your flight before you go it would make sense to give yourself an extra hour.

2. What food do you like?  There is a glut of high end restaurants.  Eiffel Tower restaurant @ Paris and TopoftheWorld restaurant at Stratosphere are both lauded as romantic choices.  You will pay over the odds for the view/romance premium though.  For money no object high end, try a tasting menu at Picasso in Bellagio, or Prime Steakhouse next door to it.  If you have a particular type of budget or cuisine in mind, post again.

3. The simplest way when out there is to walk into any poker room and get one of the free copies of card player.  Turn to the back pages and all the tourys are listed on one page, rip it out and carry it around with you.  Then if your missus suddenly gives you permission to go play, you can immediately see when the next suitable tourny is starting and where, jump in a cab and go, without wasting 10 minutes getting online first.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »

I reckon 1h45mins should be fine. I had 1h35mins in Washington next month and have done similar a couple of times. You'd be unlucky not to make it imo.
That said I only ever take hand luggage and I wouldn't know whether they'll be able to turn round proper luggage in time. Perhaps suggest to the missus she only takes one outfit in order to cut down the amount of luggage. Good luck with that project.

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »

You've not been to LA before then Chompy?

I'm assuming check-on luggage is included, but even without I wouldn't fancy it.  Even something as simple as being at the back of the plane will give you no chance whatsoever.  If you are in 1st class or right next to the exit door, you might have a fighting chance as you can make the Immigration line in reasonable shape.  The parlay of beating the waits at the "Immigration+baggae reclaim+check in+security screen" makes you odds against.

Chompy

Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »

Nope, never gone through LA before, apart from that time the shrewd travel agent sent me from Nashville to Las Vegas via LA and...Palm Springs! FFS
Been through Chicago, San Francisco, New York, Washington and Denver. Washington is usually the worst but have always made the connection, which has always been within two hours. Is LA that much worse?

"I know we must all worship at the Church of Chomps, but statements like this are just plain ridic. He says he can't get a bet on, but we all know he can."
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 12:00:55 PM »

The steakhouses in Paris and Bally's are both excellent for romantic meals. They do the best char-grilled steaks I've ever had and also this chocolate dessert with peanut ice-cream that is so good it makes you cry when you taste it.

Daily tournaments at The Venetian are very good.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 01:34:53 PM »

Has to be the Bellagio with a window table to watch the fountains, pricy but if you want to impress.....and it's not that far from the poker room if you want to walk by.

Go and see 'O' at bellagio and then dinner afterwards - lovely.
Triple X

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »

thanks guys for all your help - havent booked the LAX-LAS flight yet so will allow myself longer.

Gonna see Elton John on the saturday night and then will either see Love or O one of the other nights.  dont want to OD too much on shows as gotta get the poker in!!

Cheers
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

I reckon 1h45mins should be fine. I had 1h35mins in Washington next month and have done similar a couple of times. You'd be unlucky not to make it imo.
That said I only ever take hand luggage as i only take one peterborough top with me and I wouldn't know whether they'll be able to turn round proper luggage in time. Perhaps suggest to the missus she only takes one outfit in order to cut down the amount of luggage. Good luck with that project.

FYP

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:55:39 AM »

will either see Love or O one of the other nights. 
Cheers

The shows are a country mile better than anything you will see over here, take them both in if you can.  Vegas shows only last 90 mins, put your name on the wait list in the Bellagio, sit and watch O, come out and find you are next on the list, perfect!

Woody502

Football legend!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 12:53:25 AM »

Went to Vegas last month and transited through LAX and anything under 2 hours will be a very close call (especially if landing at peak times). The line up to go through immigration was long and slow and as others have said I would leave yourself at least 3 hours to be on the safe side. I would suggest landing anywhere but LAX if you have the choice it gets my vote as worst airport I know. The only problem is I have to land there from Brisbane as thats the only airport in the US I can get to direct. The restaurant at the Eiffel Tower (Paris hotel) has a good rep for cosy get togethers for 2. The Venetian noon $150 tournament would be my recommendation a good structure with plenty of play.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:00:02 AM by Woody502 » Logged
Triple X

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »

thanks woody!
scampman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »

A great lunch restaurant is the Mon Ami Gabi in Paris. It overlooks the Bellagio fountains and does great steaks and other bits. The service is excellent and the wine chilled to perfection. It's my favourite place to eat in Vegas.
Enjoy your trip I wish I was there now.

www.scampmanio.blogpsot.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: