Job Application form....need help with a few questions.

<< < (4/4)

Bertpup:
Q2

I wouldn't for for solving a dispute in the middle of the street as I'm guessing there are other questions that are asking for this. Try and think of something (which even if you don't agree with) where there is alot to talk and debate about.

I.e Your sister becoming a veggie because she hated the pain animals went through, you didnt agree with her because meat was great blah blah blah. But you respected her decision (which you really didnt) and you didnt try to force her back on to the good stuff.

I think the easiest thing to talk about would probably be the Iraq war as there are so many angles on it.

Q3 I'd just go for a work scenario where the team were really busy, boss told you to go home, you stayed without being asked job was done.

Geo the Sarge:
Why would you want to do this line of work mate? why not a full time policeman?

I, like Rod, am not very trusting of the constabulary as it is at present (we can agree now and again Rod.) The standard of policing is shocking in our area. I have had many run-ins with the local bobbies, not because I have done anything but due to their lack of response/attitude during certain incidents in our area.

On Sunday night there was a police car chase on our road which ended up with the car being chased leaving the road and crashing into a tree just outside our house. The lone policeman in the the souped up BMW managed to get to the driver as he tried to flee but after quite a struggle he managed to break free and done a runner.

The policeman made a half hearted attempt to chase, about 200 yards before throwing his hands in the air and wandering back to the scene. It took about another 10 minutes before any support arrived and when it did it was overkill.

7 - yes 7 police cars arrived within 5 minutes of each other and then a van, which was the dog section arrived.Aapart from the dog section none of them seemed to do anything. This is when the strangest of things happened. The policeman directed the dog section to the area that the villain had fled and they took their dog up that area.

The policeman then joined around 11 other officers around the crashed vehicle, with 4 or 5 of them clambering through the wreckage checking what was in the van.
This policeman, in the struggle, had actually ripped off what looked like the collar of a piece of clothing from the villain and whilst re-creating his story to the other officers, proceeded to pass said piece of clothing around his colleagues.

2 things struck me here.............. 1. Why didn't he give said clothing article to the dog section for the dog to have something to work on . 2. Why were all these pillocks trampling through a crime scene potentially ruining vital evidence.

It also annoyed me that all police cars were parked in single file on the road and with residents cars parked opposite were actually causing disruptions to traffic, whilst 10 metres away was a side street with ample space for them all to park. Worse was that no0one seemed to take charge, controlling traffic, securing the scene etc.

To make matters worse, the crash was in a spot used by the locals as a walkway and there were people walking right through the crash scene, one guy even picked up the number plate that had fallen off the crashed vehicle and stood examining it for 5-6 minutes before any officer even approached him to recover the item.

I was furious, giving the wife the ins and outs of what should be happening having had to arrange many scenes of crime in mt time in the Army. "Well go tell them" she says. So I did.

I left our flat and went over to the scene. I spoke to the officer who had been involved in the chase and pointed out the errors as detailed above. TBH he was pretty cool about it and admitted due to his struggle etc he was pretty pooped out and perhaps wasn't thinking straight, fair do's thought I but I do expect Policemen to be able to still have their wits about them.

However, 1 young bobby didn't take kindly to my free advice and started telling me to shut up and move away before I was arrested for "obstructing the police."

I was just about to put this guy right when I heard a voice I recognised " Hi Dicky" (my old Army nickname) "how's it going mate?" It was the dog handler who had just returned, a former colleague of mine who used to be an Army dog handler.

I explained my concerns to him and he asked that I wait across the road and he'd come talk to me. I crossed the road and took great pleasure as he then started whipping the others into shape, having them secure the scene, direct traffic, move their own vehicles to a better spot to allow traffic to flow etc. He later came over to speak to me with some superintendent guy who asked me to detail all that I had seen.

I took him upstairs for a cuppa and detailed all that had gone on and where I thought mistakes had been made. He seemed very grateful for the feedback and asked that I write it up for him which I am in the process of completing.

Listed below are the duties of a Police Community Support Officer:

All PCSOs will have the following powers:

Issuing of fixed penalty notices (e.g. riding on footpath; dog fouling; litter)
Power to confiscate alcohol and tobacco
Power to demand the name and address of a person acting in an anti-social manner
Power of entry to save life or prevent damage
Removal of abandoned vehicles
Additional powers are being considered by central government

How can they be effective without full police powers?

PCSOs are not police officers. A major part of the work of PCSO’s involves tasks that when undertaken by police officers do not require them to resort to using their full police powers. All PCSO’s will be given full training to enable them to take appropriate action in the event of difficult circumstances. They will be supervised by police officers and will have radio access to enable them to call for assistance should it be required.

Doesn't strike me as being too interesting and only releases more real officers to stand around, thumb up arse not giving a toss.

Geo

Acidmouse:
About 2 years ago I worked/taught at a local college in Leeds, my class was for special needs students. I thought it would be a good idea to invite the community police officer in to talk to the students about looking after themselves traveling to college etc.

The policeman was rather frank on his views of the police force and admitted openly that over 70% of the current police in Leeds were inappropriate and joined for completely the wrong reasons. I was more then shocked at some of the things he told us...

Geo the Sarge:
Quote from: Acidmouse on October 28, 2008, 03:19:57 PM

About 2 years ago I worked/taught at a local college in Leeds, my class was for special needs students. I thought it would be a good idea to invite the community police officer in to talk to the students about looking after themselves traveling to college etc.

The policeman was rather frank on his views of the police force and admitted openly that over 70% of the current police in Leeds were inappropriate and joined for completely the wrong reasons. I was more then shocked at some of the things he told us...

In the early nineties I was invited to Firhill High School (my local HS) to teach self defence to sixth formers. I had arranged a weekly visit over 6 weeks. It was great fun, nothing too technical, just basic how to defend yourself and restraining techniques. I got a great response from the kids, especially the females, many of whom had stories to tell of being molested/bag snatched etc.

4 weeks in and the local community bobby visited me at the office in Redford Barracks and started to lecture me on why iI shouldn't be encouraging violence within the youngsters at the school. I couldn't believe how naieve he was and he clearly didn't understand that these kids, more often had experienced far more violence than I was ever going to show them.

I invited him to my next lesson and had him join in as well as take time to speak to these kids. He certainly came away with a different view at the end of it and admitted that as much he was the local bobby, he had never had much time to mix with the kids as he had done on that day.

Geo

Girgy85:
Thanks for your input Geo and others and if the opportunity arises to become a policeman after i become a PCSO then i may accept it but for now im just applying for the PCSO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page