blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  netbooks
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: netbooks  (Read 7705 times)
Div

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »

I've been swithering over getting one of these for a while.

Now being tempted by the Samsung.

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/Yd63q7Fo-WckGQ.html

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/computing/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops/samsung-nc10-481336/review

Six cell battery, so should last a fair while.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:03:54 PM by Div » Logged

'Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.'
- Warren Buffett

http://pokerdiv.blogspot.com
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »

Right I am going to be buying a netbook either tomorrow or friday and need advice about which one to buy:

I have narrowed it down to 2 at the moment but feel free to put a spanner in the works and point out other ones with similar/better spec at same price range(or cheaper obviously):

http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Asus_Laptop_EEE_PC1000H-WHI066X-L&cat=119

http://www.samsunglaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Samsung_Netbook_NC10-KA01UK-L&cat=2

I think the pro's of the Asus are swaying me but its a lesser known make to me and wondering other people views on that(I know I'm probably being ignorant with that as I know Asus have won a ton of awards for their EEEPC range)

Basically the spec on the 2 are identical but I think the Samsung looks a bit nicer(and is lighter at 1.33kg to Asus 1.45Kg), BUT the Asus has a 2 year warranty(collect & return) to the samsungs 1 year which is probably the deciding factor at the moment(you also save £15 with the Asus)

BUT are there any others anybody thinks i'd be interested in- I was interested in the dell as like the idea of a sollid state drive but it only runs at 1GB memory-these two above have 2GB aswell as a bigger screen.

Any advice appreciated-even if anyone knows of a better deal on the same models let me know,

cheers,

Stuart

Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream
pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »

Let us know what its like Stuart wich ever one you choose.I think ill wait till January to get mine.

Colchester Kev

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 08:16:37 PM »

Have a look at Staples online for good deals on asus netbooks http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_class.asp?CatIds=21797,35750&name=UK_CL_NetBooks

Sleep don't visit, so I choke on sun
And the days blur into one
And the backs of my eyes hum with things I've never done

http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/

kevshep2010@hotmail.co.uk
Grier78
www.AllInOnADraw.com

www.AllInOnADraw.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »

If you can find one the NC10 is probably the best netbook out at the moment, it has superior build quality over the Eee range.

Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 08:25:09 PM »

Yeah Pokerfan I was thinking of holding off as the price will probably go down quite a bit in January but the laptop I am using the now is doin my head in-it keeps on sticking(sometimes for like 3 minutes etc)- I actually swear at it as if its a person- when I get my new one I am going to drop this from my top window and jump up and down on it- childish I know!!! Smiley

cheers Kev- they are cheaper but not as good a spec- I'm really looking for 2GB memory but the 2 I've posted are the only ones I know of as of yet...

Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »

If you can find one the NC10 is probably the best netbook out at the moment, it has superior build quality over the Eee range.

They do look sturdier(is that a word??) but would it be worth it seen as I get 1 years less warranty( I have had bad history-not through fault just bad luck-with laptops) and the 2 year warranty does look appealing... but I prefer the look of the NC10- i'm fecking clueless which one to go for-prob likely whichever I go for i'd wish I went for the other

Ginger
Queen of Purple

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »

Just a note on the on the 1BG Vs 2Gb memory. As the one with 1 Gb has a solid state drive, you probably don't need to have a larger memory, and, that drive will possibly outlive you! - (depending on several factors, of course)

The Asus & the Samsung notebook are both running XP, so will need the 2BG of memory. Does the solid state one have Linux installed by any chance? it needs nowhere near the same amount of memory as XP

Personally, I'd go with a solid state, and if it needed it (which I'd doubt) upgrade the memory. For mobile devices, SSD's are really the way to go.

“Half a truth is often a great lie.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 10:42:16 PM »

Just bought a Samsung NC10. With mem upgrade to 2Gb.
It was a toss up between an HP one running linux and this one with XP.
Felt more comfortable with the Samsung.
Not played any poker yet but will give a bash soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:48:40 PM by bobAlike » Logged

Ah! The element of surprise
WYSINWYG

MPD sufferer. (+2 Hidden)

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »

Just a note on the on the 1BG Vs 2Gb memory. As the one with 1 Gb has a solid state drive, you probably don't need to have a larger memory, and, that drive will possibly outlive you! - (depending on several factors, of course)

The Asus & the Samsung notebook are both running XP, so will need the 2BG of memory. Does the solid state one have Linux installed by any chance? it needs nowhere near the same amount of memory as XP

Personally, I'd go with a solid state, and if it needed it (which I'd doubt) upgrade the memory. For mobile devices, SSD's are really the way to go.

Cheers Kev  thumbs up

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue.
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

I have the asus but it is gathering dust, I have Linux and should get around to sorting out XP for it. The battery life is pretty poor.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
lazaroonie

Your a dead man Den Watts !!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

Just bought a Samsung NC10. With mem upgrade to 2Gb.
It was a toss up between an HP one running linux and this one with XP.
Felt more comfortable with the Samsung.
Not played any poker yet but will give a bash soon.

I have an HP and the build quality on it is very good. It has 1 GB of ram, but space for another. I swapped out Linux, and reinstalled XP on it (not an easy job for non-tech people btw).

Its good - I wouldnt like to use it for a long period of time. the keyboard is excellent, but the screen is pretty poor. I wouldnt like to try and use on any higher resolution that 800x600.

Speakers are also great - works really well as a mobile jukebox in hotel rooms etc.

I picked some up from a supplier for a decent price and was able to shift them for 199 - they went vvv quickly.

The build quality on the asus machines is really poor.

The blog of my friend Colchester Kev
http://colchesterkev.wordpress.com/
Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »

Think it has to be the samsung one after all then after 2 people pointing out the build quality is poor on the Asus.

Ginger- No the Dell one has Windows XP on it also- http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

the solid state drive is only 16GB mind but was planning on getting an external for all my files etc- I do like the idea of no moving parts tho-seems less likely to break down! Just think the screen size will be too small though at 8.9". It is working out at £100 cheaper than the Samsung but guess when you factor having to buy external will be pretty close

Hairydude

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

Let us know what its like Stuart wich ever one you choose.I think ill wait till January to get mine.

Hi pokerfan-Samsung NC10 arrived today and been mucking around on it for a while-currently 2 tabling on crypto-which it is fine for(though doubt it would be very comfortable anymore than 2) couldnt imagine anything with a smaller screen though

Actually quite impressed with it and its exactly what I was looking for- just trying to get used to the keyboard as its obviouly a bit tighter but still easy enough to use.

Only complaint is probably the size of the trackpad which is a bit on the small side-think I may have to buy a mouse if I cant get used to it.

I got the 2GB RAM version and it seems fine speedwise- running smoothly and silently with 5 windows open

pokerfan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »

sounds good to me just what i need.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: