blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 06:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272930 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Boiler question
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boiler question  (Read 5508 times)
madasahatstand

Bang

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

What boiler is it Tracey?

am presuming that it is a combi boiler?

I have my friend buying a radiator key as we speak so hopefully I'll try bleeding the radiators tonight - but I think it is going to be a cold one - I'm not confident - I think I may have introduced air into the system that has stopped it working.  Angry

Sometimes those keys dont work so well so option 2 could be a shifting spanner, thats what I use and it works a treat. Good luck Smiley

Patience is a virtue.

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »

start with the radiator nearest the boiler and work toward the furthest away, if boiler is downstairs work down to up. leave the feed to the boiler on slightly to keep pressure up and turn on heating FULL. hold the radiator key in a towel or thick gloves as water will be hot, let run until all air has escaped and close the cap, then repeat on all radiators. When all done check water pressure then close the feed fully.

mostly agree with above but i wouldnt leave the water supply on to the heating whilst venting ,as if you over presurrise it youd probably find it awkward to release the pressure,initially keep the system pressure at 2 bar (30psi) and return after each radiator has been bled to top up the pressure,when u get to the last 2 rads you want the pressure to be about 1.5 bar remember its anti clockwise to undo the air vent and clockwise to do it back up.hold a big tea towel over the vent to stop any water dripping on the floor/carpet.NEVER NEVER TAKE THE AIR VENT OUT COMPLETELY...
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 08:58:27 PM »

Whilst you're here CIA23473287589832.43, can I ask a plumbing question?

The Mother-in-law's heating has a problem.  When she puts the hot water on (from the immersion) there is a strong 'bad smell' that comes from the tank (obviously where the immersion is).  When she puts the hot water on from the boiler in the kitchen, there's a strong smell there.

I'm guessing that there's something up with the water in the system - and if so, what's the best thing to do?  Can you put something in to kill off whatever's causing the smell, or does the system need flushing or something?

Kensushi when yr mum puts the immersion on what does it smell like?

and what does the smell in the kitchen smell like?

and how old is the system?
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »

start with the radiator nearest the boiler and work toward the furthest away, if boiler is downstairs work down to up. leave the feed to the boiler on slightly to keep pressure up and turn on heating FULL. hold the radiator key in a towel or thick gloves as water will be hot, let run until all air has escaped and close the cap, then repeat on all radiators. When all done check water pressure then close the feed fully.

lolz I did upstairs first, heating off. seems to have worked tho.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »

what you do by doing that is draining the upstairs rads hence having to re vent the upstairs 1's bleed rads after a few hours of the heating being on (again bleed with heating off)
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »

what you do by doing that is draining the upstairs rads hence having to re vent the upstairs 1's bleed rads after a few hours of the heating being on (again bleed with heating off)

ok thanks cia, i'll do upstairs again tomorrow
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

Whilst you're here CIA23473287589832.43, can I ask a plumbing question?

The Mother-in-law's heating has a problem.  When she puts the hot water on (from the immersion) there is a strong 'bad smell' that comes from the tank (obviously where the immersion is).  When she puts the hot water on from the boiler in the kitchen, there's a strong smell there.

I'm guessing that there's something up with the water in the system - and if so, what's the best thing to do?  Can you put something in to kill off whatever's causing the smell, or does the system need flushing or something?

Kensushi when yr mum puts the immersion on what does it smell like?

Hi FBI93729847324 - it's not me mum (it's the missus' mum).  However, she doesn't smell so I guess that's not important.  I haven't had the chance to smell it yet, but I think it's a 'bad' smell like something's 'gone off'.  I will ask for a precise explanation of the smell later if that helps.

and what does the smell in the kitchen smell like?

Same again, bad.  I will get the smells clarified to help with the diagnosis.

and how old is the system?

Not as old as the Mother-in-law, but I'm guessing fairly old.  I will find out and get back to you.

thumbs up

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

Just asked, and the smell was described as "fusty, like really bad BO".  I have been informed that it's the same in the kitchen, but not as strong.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »

hey foldinfishi

you dont think it could be her do you?

as i  know some old people do smell
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »

hey foldinfishi

No!

You smell, we stink.

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »

hey foldinfishi

Erm, no.

Any suggestions?

cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

Its a tricky 1  not being there, immersion heater smell could be element overheating or the cable supplying it running hot try touching the cable the next time yr there to see if its running hot
i reckon you might have to call someone out as it shouldnt smell in  normal conditions.

But 1 thing i would do is tell her to get a carbon monoxide detector they really are life savers..
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »

Cheers.  I'll advise her to get someone out.  I haven't been to the house whilst she's had the problem - so I'll have a look to see if there's anything I can see that's obvious.  I'd doubt it is CO though, as the boiler is in the kitchen and the stronger smell is upstairs in the airing cupboard where the tank is.  But a detector is a good idea anyway like you said.

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 04:02:13 PM »

If the pressure is low due to bleeding or just naturally goes down over time its often the case people need to top the pressure up. Mine has a small knob I turn on a pipe that goes into the bolier from under it, you can hear the gush of water and the pressure guage goes up slowly. I have to do this every 6 months to keep it in the green pressure zone.

The pressure in my system needs topping up about once a month, I can't see any leaks or anything, do you thinks is ok?

The older I get, the better I was.
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »

No it could be yr expansion valve letting by or your expansion vessel could need replacing.Or a leak you cant see.

I take it, it is a combi boiler/system?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: