blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:00:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Boiler question
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boiler question  (Read 5415 times)
Dingdell

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:28:40 AM »

Ok men - help out a non manual labour woman please....I have central heating. The radiators have needed bleeding for ages but I wasn't able to do it.

Tonight it's gone a bit scary. None of the radiators are really heating up and there is a lot of air throughout the system. (Or thats what it sounds like, lots of loud gurgling)

What is really worrying me is that I thought the dial on the boiler had to show some pressure, but it's sitting at 0 and not moving. The heating is turned off now and I can hear water 'dropping' in to the boiler as air goes somewhere else (if that makes sense).

Should I just get the radiators bled or should I be doing something to put pressure into the system/make the pressure dial go up a bit? 

Thanks.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:25:49 AM »

All you girls out there, take heed. If you want a man to do something for you, this is how to ask.

Note how she presses all the right buttons.

"I'm a woman"

"I couldn't do it"

"It's scary"

"I'm worried"

"You are a man"

"I'm asking you for advice"

"Please make everything better"

It's all I can do to resist putting my toolbox in the car and driving over there.

The older I get, the better I was.
byronkincaid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:47:58 AM »

reminds me i need to do this today. will need to put some water into the system to get the pressure up imo, then after you bleed will proberly need to do it again. 1.5 bar i fink.

Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »

Update - I just had a shower and all was ok. Just ran the hot tap in the bathroom and all of a sudden an orange/yellow gunge came out but is now running clear again.

Anyone any ideas.

if I have to add water into the sytem how do I do that?

Tnx
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »

If the pressure is low due to bleeding or just naturally goes down over time its often the case people need to top the pressure up. Mine has a small knob I turn on a pipe that goes into the bolier from under it, you can hear the gush of water and the pressure guage goes up slowly. I have to do this every 6 months to keep it in the green pressure zone.
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »

If the pressure is low due to bleeding or just naturally goes down over time its often the case people need to top the pressure up. Mine has a small knob I turn on a pipe that goes into the bolier from under it, you can hear the gush of water and the pressure guage goes up slowly. I have to do this every 6 months to keep it in the green pressure zone.

Yep - I've got the pressure at 1.5 but now I don't have any hot water or heating. Could I have caused an airlock? If so any ideas on how to get rid of it without having to drain down the system - I really would need hep with that one!
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »

is the pilot light on the boiler working? when you turn on the hot water tap does it sound like its trying to fire up?
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:21:13 AM »

Strange coincidence. Our cold tap in the kitchen stopped working last night and was making gurgling noises.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »

Just ran the hot tap in the bathroom and all of a sudden an orange/yellow gunge came out 

Surely that is a job for the Ghostbusters?

Haven't noticed anything paranormal, have you Tracey?
snoopy1239

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »

Just ran the hot tap in the bathroom and all of a sudden an orange/yellow gunge came out 

Surely that is a job for the Ghostbusters?

Haven't noticed anything paranormal, have you Tracey?

Don't open the fridge!
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »

What boiler is it Tracey?

am presuming that it is a combi boiler?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »

Whilst you're here CIA23473287589832.43, can I ask a plumbing question?

The Mother-in-law's heating has a problem.  When she puts the hot water on (from the immersion) there is a strong 'bad smell' that comes from the tank (obviously where the immersion is).  When she puts the hot water on from the boiler in the kitchen, there's a strong smell there.

I'm guessing that there's something up with the water in the system - and if so, what's the best thing to do?  Can you put something in to kill off whatever's causing the smell, or does the system need flushing or something?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 05:47:13 PM »

Dead rat/mouse/squirrel/lodger/son-in-law in tank.

The older I get, the better I was.
Dingdell

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 06:05:18 PM »

What boiler is it Tracey?

am presuming that it is a combi boiler?

Yes - it's a combi boiler and yes we have a ghost....and last night was the first night since I've moved in that I've slept with the hall light off when on my own. Not sure if that's relevant?!

So my Dad tells me I can do it myself and alks me through putting more water in the boiler/system and now it doesn't work at all so he says "Well of course you shouldn't really be fiddling with it - you should get someone in"

I have my friend buying a radiator key as we speak so hopefully I'll try bleeding the radiators tonight - but I think it is going to be a cold one - I'm not confident - I think I may have introduced air into the system that has stopped it working.  Angry
TEX FITZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

start with the radiator nearest the boiler and work toward the furthest away, if boiler is downstairs work down to up. leave the feed to the boiler on slightly to keep pressure up and turn on heating FULL. hold the radiator key in a towel or thick gloves as water will be hot, let run until all air has escaped and close the cap, then repeat on all radiators. When all done check water pressure then close the feed fully.

epileptic cowboy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: