blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 236093 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: February 17, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »

Went for a run today. Was feeling pretty leggy after a hockey match yesterday (we drew 1-1 against second in the table, but should have stuffed them, we were missing our two top scorers and that was probably one of the major reasons we didn't win), and was also at deeteedee until 'last hands' last night.

So wasn't expecting a fast run, and was expecting it to hurt.  It wasn't easy, but not as bad as I'd feared. 

http://connect.garmin.com/player/274409055

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »

Done about 100K in my new running shoes, and still love them.  Definitely the best running shoes I've ever bought.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:15 PM »

Just bought into the 10k prep race, a little steep are entry fees these days!

Two steady runs over the weekend and the ankle held up well, one of these runs had a decent hill at the start then I viewed the profile of your 12k route. You win and you get two inclines for your efforts!

Toying with doing a fast half this weekend, this is bouyed by a 5k PB on the concept 2 tonight. More entry fees though. (Occasional training partner has just text me about said half, it may have to be).

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: February 18, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »

Just bought into the 10k prep race, a little steep are entry fees these days!

Yeah, they aren't cheap - but it is well run (and the TR24 is VERY well run).  Food at ours afterwards, so that's a nice bonus and no additional fee Cheesy

Two steady runs over the weekend and the ankle held up well, one of these runs had a decent hill at the start then I viewed the profile of your 12k route. You win and you get two inclines for your efforts!

Post your runs up on here.  Mine might have two decent inclines, but that gives me an excuse to run slowly Wink

Toying with doing a fast half this weekend, this is bouyed by a 5k PB on the concept 2 tonight. More entry fees though. (Occasional training partner has just text me about said half, it may have to be).

Yeah, you toy with that.  I'll be sticking to a 12k-er and a hockey match against the team at the bottom of the league - so shouldn't be the toughest match for me as a defender.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »

http://connect.garmin.com/player/275974670

Battered my PB for my 12K training run just now.  Raced against myself (using the Virtual Racer thing on the Garmin) doing the run previously by a good few minutes.  That showed me!

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 21, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

http://connect.garmin.com/player/275974670

Battered my PB for my 12K training run just now.  Raced against myself (using the Virtual Racer thing on the Garmin) doing the run previously by a good few minutes.  That showed me!

^^^^like.

It looks like there is more in the tank with that finish!

Will provide you with more positivity! A couple of good training runs this week and an excellent intervals session tonight which my ankle has taken in its stride!

(Will threadmerge negativty now, I need no more goals at Anfield please for a little touch).

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »

The finish is down to the ridiculous hill, rather than anything left in the tank.  Although I usually do have a sprint finish at the end of any race.

First time I did this 12K route, it took me 1:04, and I've got that down to 57:36 now.  My target is as close to 50 minutes as possible, but I reckon 54 minutes is possible, eventually.

As for the goals at Anfield, I want two more at the Kop end (and none at the other)!

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 21, 2013, 09:32:38 PM »

Wow, great free kick. Please get one more. 3 v 1 nut worse score ever!

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: February 21, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »

Dull game...

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 24, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »

Sundays rundays, I decided against the 'fast half'. Two nights on the sauce put paid to my enthusiasm and willing to put a little bit of work in. So I elected for an easy 12.5 miles on my own, if I get the chance I will upload my run from garmin connect.

I noticed you wear your hrm from your uploads, I was thinking towards the end of my run today I may start monitoring my own as it is something I have never really thought about. I generally run on feel, but I suppose it is the next level up of training and judging performance. I do like stats.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1090 on: February 24, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »

Yeah, don't really know what the HRM is meant to show me, but I wear it anyway. I don't do any training that uses the HRM, running at whatever level or threshold.  But like you say, good to have the stats Cheesy

A friend of mine who I play hockey with did a half-marathon today.  1:18:57 was him time, so about 20 minutes quicker than me over the distance!

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: March 14, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

Was pretty cold this morning (said -5.7°C on my thermometer), but it's only my face and ears that suffer when it's cold and I'm out running.  Maybe need to invest in a running scarf/mask/bandana thing (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buff-Protection-Multi-Functional-Headwear/dp/B0038QH38U/) to keep my face and ears warm when it's bloody cold out.  Might look like more of a numpty, but who really cares at 6:30 in the morning, when I'm out running in my shorts looking like a numpty anyway.

This morning's run was pretty good, and it was a lovely morning to be out as the sun was coming up (although my ears might argue).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/284224099

Need to up my mileage now as part of my training for the TR24 in July.  Still sticking to the hour-long runs in the morning, but need to be running 5 times a week. As well as the 12K runs, I should be looking to throw in a long-run at the weekend and do some speed work as well.  Problem I have at the moment is a combination of being lazy, and also playing hockey. We have training on Tuesday nights and a match on Saturdays.  Thankfully, the season finishes in two week's time and then I'll be able to concentrate on the running.  I joined a new club this season for hockey, and we've managed to storm the league and are already promoted as champions with two games to go.

Now I've done over 100 miles in my new running shoes, I can confirm they are excellent and the best running shoes I've ever bought.  Suit my running well, and the only time they fail is on very muddy and slippy ground where they do lack grip.  But on general trails and on the road they are really good.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:54:37 PM by kinboshi » Logged

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »

Not used mine on my face for a while but once upon i used to cover my mouth in one similar to this.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buff-Polar-Thermal-Nipon-Grey/dp/B002QVBRNU/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1363282099&sr=1-5

you obviously know you can arrange it as a neck scarf, hat etc. I originally had one and lost it, such an essential piece of kit for me I bought another immediately.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

Not used mine on my face for a while but once upon i used to cover my mouth in one similar to this.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buff-Polar-Thermal-Nipon-Grey/dp/B002QVBRNU/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1363282099&sr=1-5

you obviously know you can arrange it as a neck scarf, hat etc. I originally had one and lost it, such an essential piece of kit for me I bought another immediately.

Yeah, think it would have been nice to have one on today.  Like you said, once I've warmed up enough, can always pull it down as a scarf.  If I'm using it as a mask, I'll have to remember it's on if I need to clear my throat Cheesy

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:38 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester

Read a bit about the runners who were classed as 'professional' and therefore not allowed to compete in the popular races in the 'good' old days of the AAA, and amateurism in running. Some of the stories are incredible and some of the runners could have been world champions if they could have afforded to run as amateurs.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: