blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:39:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 ... 87 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 234664 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1035 on: September 20, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »

Yeah, running the same routes can get a bit repetitive. Never used any apps, so can't advise there.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: October 14, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

GB's Leanda Cave wins the Ironman World Champs in Hawaii. That's a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride & a 26.2-mile run. In about 9 hours. Just wow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/triathlon/19940336

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 29, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

Are you back training again Mr Boshi? Hows the sell out to barefoot running going?  Wink

I have just been looking at a races to put on this years calendar, the only one I had lined up Mount Blanc Marathon is full, so I have found this gem...

http://beyondmarathon.com/wordpress/dusktildawn/

The name, the area and the timings look like a winner to me.

Looked like a winner at the time, but on Saturday with a dip in temperature and some difficult conditions this race caused me to record my first ever DNF. After 30 miles I quit and am really struggling to come to terms with it. I know if i am in the UK this time next year then I will definitely run and complete it. So if anyone fancies the challenge... Sign up sign up!

"We're not here to take part, we're here to take over"
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1038 on: October 29, 2012, 09:59:44 PM »

You've not done the best sales job for it! If you struggled there's not really much point me even thinking about doing it.

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »

You've not done the best sales job for it! If you struggled there's not really much point me even thinking about doing it.

Oops that is an injustice to the organisers, this was an excellent event. The location was stunning, the field size of 80 max mean't that you were a key ingredient to the atmosphere and you were treated like Mo Farah/Scott Jurek/Bob Graham at each CP.  The course would have been epic, although my choice of clothing and the elements were my downfall. I would happily provide a TR, although a pm may save everyone the zzzzzzzzzzzzz's.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: October 30, 2012, 03:15:29 AM »

Post it on here!

leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »

Post it on here!
Please do

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
Waz1892

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »

Spit her noose?

Sphere it soon?

Carpe Diem
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1043 on: January 01, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »

Not been running as much as previously since Berlin - but keen to get back to it now.

Got a new pair of running shoes for xmas, and that's usually an incentive to get back out there and put in the mileage.  I've used four different shoes over the past 3-4 years and although they've all been good for the way I run (and the runs I've been doing both on and off-road), none of them have been perfect.  Obviously, the manufacturers are making mass-produced shoes and not tailored products so there's always the likelihood that they won't be right in one way or another.

I've only been out twice in my new shoes, but they feel good, really good.  I was looking for a pair that work well both on and off-road, as my usual run near my house takes in pavements, hard trails and muddy off-road tracks. My new ones, the Inov8 F-Lite 195s, seem to fit the bill.

Will report back soon on how they're getting on after a hundred miles or so thumbs up

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

Been out for a run through some very boggy trails.  The shoes held up well, with decent grip considering the conditions. 

Might need a clean now though...

craigbetts

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 06, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »

Aw bless, that's what there made for. Not for wearing to costas underneath some cargo pants and north face gilet combo by some folks who think outdoor wear is made to be seen in this attire in this environment. Absolutely battered some of my trail shoes towards the end of last year, clean uns are for wrong uns!

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: January 06, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »

Haha, I think they look good - but for running in, not as fashion-wear.

Those 195s are excellent though.  Not quite as much grip as the Salomon Speedcross in the real boggy mud, but didn't expect them to as they're also very good on hard, flat trails and tarmac.  The Merrel Trail Gloves in comparison don't grip as well in the mud, and they also don't fair as well on the road.  The Merrels 'force' you to forefoot strike, and if your form drops during a run on sharp gravel they're very unforgiving.  The Inov8 195s on the other hand 'encourage' you to forefoot strike, as it just feels right to do so in them, but if you do inadvertently heel-strike (for example when going down a steep hill) there's enough cushioning to protect the soles of your feet.

The Inov8s will be perfect for the tr24 this summer, and I think they'd be absolutely fine for a road marathon as well.

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1047 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:23 PM »

Went out for a run today.  Lovely temperature for a run (1°C), but a bit icy in places. The new shoes did themselves proud though, and I never felt like I was going to go arse over tit, although one downhill bit felt a bit dicey.

I've got a good 12K route that's become my 'standard' run.  Using the 'Virtual Racer' function on my Garmin 610 I can race against myself based on the previous runs on the same course. It doesn't just compare my average pace, but basically compares the run metre by metre against a previous run. Today I managed to beat my previous time - so that showed me.

Only just getting back into running regularly, but want to get that average pace down from 5:08 min/km to well below 5min/km, and the time for the run to under an hour.  There are a few big hills on the course, so that obviously slows me down, but it's good training and definitely required in preparation for the Thunder Run (http://tr24.co.uk) that I'll be running again in July.

technolog
Fib & Archie's dad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »

Safer running in wellies this weather.

It's better to be looking at it than looking for it.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: January 15, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

Safer running in wellies this weather.

...or not running in wellies Wink

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 ... 87 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: