blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 [87] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Runner  (Read 235600 times)
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: May 03, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »

Check this out Bosh. I think you'll enjoy it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1409147398/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1399102184&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

The older I get, the better I was.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: May 03, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »

Thanks Red. Didn't know he was into his running so much. Know he worked with the psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters (who's also worked with Vicky Pendleton, other GB cyclists, Liverpool FC, etc.) so that might also be interesting.

Lyndsey got me a new Kindle for my birthday, to replace my broken one. So might download it for that thumbs up

Have you read it?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1292 on: May 03, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »

Reading (And enjoying) it now.

I think you can read a sample here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-The-Autobiography-Ronnie-OSullivan/dp/0752898809#reader_0752898809

I should probably read this first though

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronnie-Autobiography-OSullivan/dp/0752858807#reader_0752858807

peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 22, 2014, 09:12:55 PM »

Has anyone any recommends for motivation?
I'm really struggling when I run and only going out cos I know it does me good. I could stop at any time when I'm out and walk back home. I try hard and the only "enjoyment" I get is bettering my times but a pal of mine always says you never see a jogger smiling and I'm beginning to agree with him.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: August 22, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »

Enter a race.  That can give you motivation. Join a running club, and maybe run with others to help motivate you?

You don't get any enjoyment of getting fitter, being able to run faster and further, and enjoy shorter recovery times?  If you play any team sports, running regularly can really help with your stamina in that as well.

Why do you run?  Maybe if you work that out then you can start to enjoy it?  If you don't enjoy it at all, then maybe another form of exercise would be better for you?  I don't like going to the gym, so I don't.  I enjoy the insanity workouts I started about 10 weeks ago, so I do that as well. I enjoy playing hockey, so I do that.  Don't see the point in doing something I don't enjoy at all.  Of course, there are times when running is hard and you have to force yourself round.  But it feels good to get through that, and of course enjoying the benefits of being a better runner because of it.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1295 on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

Forgot to say, read 'Running' and enjoyed it.  An interesting character, and had no idea he was such a passionate and talented runner.

peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »

Enter a race.  That can give you motivation. Join a running club, and maybe run with others to help motivate you?

You don't get any enjoyment of getting fitter, being able to run faster and further, and enjoy shorter recovery times?  If you play any team sports, running regularly can really help with your stamina in that as well.

Why do you run?  Maybe if you work that out then you can start to enjoy it?  If you don't enjoy it at all, then maybe another form of exercise would be better for you?  I don't like going to the gym, so I don't.  I enjoy the insanity workouts I started about 10 weeks ago, so I do that as well. I enjoy playing hockey, so I do that.  Don't see the point in doing something I don't enjoy at all.  Of course, there are times when running is hard and you have to force yourself round.  But it feels good to get through that, and of course enjoying the benefits of being a better runner because of it.

Thx for taking the time to reply.
Last year my daughter did the couch to 5km and as I was out more regular the running did get easier. I did the 10km plan and got that done. It's as tho I need a set routine or aim but even then it's more a sense of achievement than enjoyment.
It's the same when I'm cycling as well, beating my previous time matters, again achievement more than enjoyment.
So I go out for health purposes, weight hardly varies and I eat n drink largely what I want.
Running club may be the way to go as it was better with Gemma last year, shame she has a foot injury and is just walking atm
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: August 22, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »

Maybe aim for a longer race, such as a half or a full marathon?  Even run the race for a charity so there's others who'll benefit from your running (giving you additional enjoyment maybe).

Or, if the running isn't fun for you then maybe training for a marathon is the worst thing you can do Cheesy

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1298 on: August 30, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

Forgot to say, read 'Running' and enjoyed it.  An interesting character, and had no idea he was such a passionate and talented runner.

I had no idea he was such a prat.

Well if I'm being honest, I did have my suspicions.

peejaytwo

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 01, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »

Last year my daughter did the couch to 5km and as I was out more regular the running did get easier. I did the 10km plan and got that done. It's as tho I need a set routine or aim but even then it's more a sense of achievement than enjoyment.
It's the same when I'm cycling as well, beating my previous time matters, again achievement more than enjoyment.
So I go out for health purposes, weight hardly varies and I eat n drink largely what I want.
Running club may be the way to go as it was better with Gemma last year, shame she has a foot injury and is just walking atm

so after this rant/low point of mine last week i did another 5km on 28th with the same result of decent time (for me) but no enjoyment. today i decided to not run against the clock, but just do a steady 4 miles and to try and enjoy it by running without a goal so to speak.still had runkeeper on to log the activity tho. my idea of trying to run slower was to take shorter strides and after the first mile i was much fresher than normal but the time was faster than normal. two miles was the same and the 3 mile time was within 20 secs of my best and completed the 4 miles ok.
pace splits were 8.43 (downhill) 9.10, 8.56, 9.00 which im posting to show the consistancy.
much better experience but weird that trying to run slower made me run faster.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:58 PM »

so after this rant/low point of mine last week i did another 5km on 28th with the same result of decent time (for me) but no enjoyment. today i decided to not run against the clock, but just do a steady 4 miles and to try and enjoy it by running without a goal so to speak.still had runkeeper on to log the activity tho. my idea of trying to run slower was to take shorter strides and after the first mile i was much fresher than normal but the time was faster than normal. two miles was the same and the 3 mile time was within 20 secs of my best and completed the 4 miles ok.
pace splits were 8.43 (downhill) 9.10, 8.56, 9.00 which im posting to show the consistancy.
much better experience but weird that trying to run slower made me run faster.

Just shows how much technique plays in running. Faster times not surprising though. Plenty of people have done PBs in Marathons by using a walk/run system rather than just running!!
ElkE
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 10, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »

A fourth reason is that it might stop me posting as much elsewhere on the forum, and I'm sure that's the one that's the most important to many on here... Cheesy

Grin is it that bad?
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 [87] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: