blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272627 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Clarkson did it again but what's wrong with the Beeb?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clarkson did it again but what's wrong with the Beeb?  (Read 13542 times)
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »

oh and guess who would benifit the most from a scotish home rule

the tories

they would be unbeatable in the uk parliment
and with no more need for the SNP all the rural and coastal villages and towns would revert to there normal voting pattern of torie making them the largest party in scotland again

This is confusing..If Scotland gained independence, why would it care who rules England.??.it would have the same relevance as who ruled Denmark. Scotland has rejected the Tories. It done so long before the recent resurgence of the Nationalist so I doubt we turn back to them..and if we did they'd be Scots Tories and not answerable to London.

tory is a tory no matter where they are from

any politian left in scotland would be 2nd rate (just look at our "government in holyrood")

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. The more power our parliament has the bettter the standard of politician it'll attract. I believe in the intelligence, integrity, industry and ingenuity of the Scottish people.

'Build it and they will come'...:-)

no one will want to be part of a bankraupt parliment

where is the money going to come from to support scotland

manufacturing is almost dead in scotland, oil and gas is running out, leaving tourism which isnt enough to support 6 million people. that tourism dollar will be cut by the rush to find a subsitute for the oil and gas money as pilons, and turbines are thrown up over this beautifull land with the rush to make "green energy".

by the time of the next election the UK will be in the middle of a massive recession which we are just starting nowm if scotland was to get an independance vote we would be gaining that as the UK was coming out, but this will be a backward step as the few remaining companys in scotland move south causing scotland to slip back into a recession

scotland had its chance for independance in the 70s the labour strongholds of glasgow rejected this and now we will have to wait till we have the right curcumstance too occur for scotland to be able to stand on its own 2 feet again

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
Tinsel Town

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »

Come on Ironside.

Give us a chance. You say that in the future we'll be able to stand on our own two feet. We can do that now.
I've never really been able to take seriously the arguments against independence. Those arguments are all based on the assumption that the Scots, uniquely among the peoples of the world, are incapable of making their country better.

Read this about New Zealand...why can we be like this.......http://www.snp.org/node/262

btw..I'm not an SNP member or activist I just feel we'd be better off.

Anyway, we'll all have a chance soon to vote.

There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face....William Shakespeare( Macbeth)
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »

TBH - I'm not bothered about Scotland becoming independent or not - I'm fed up of the fact that it is acceptable for there to be  such hatred expressed so readily against the English -  and yet no one bats an eyelid.

What I'm more concerned about is the fact that people feel free to comment on Thatcher's private conversation.

Do i find her comments palatable - no.
Why is the weasel who decided it was so important to break confidence not being scrutinised for their motive?

1984? Pah 2009 is the year double speak bit everyone on the arse.
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 11:22:08 PM »

if Scotland gets independence will they allow Jeremy Clarkson in?

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »

TBH - I'm not bothered about Scotland becoming independent or not - I'm fed up of the fact that it is acceptable for there to be  such hatred expressed so readily against the English -  and yet no one bats an eyelid.

What I'm more concerned about is the fact that people feel free to comment on Thatcher's private conversation.

"As far as we understand she believes that it wasn't racist, it was meant in jest."
[/quote]

That quote comes from Thatcher's spokesperson.  So because it was in jest, its all ok.

Its unnaceptable.

GlasgowBandit

Global Pacifier

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »

if Scotland gets independence will they allow Jeremy Clarkson in?

Yes, so someone can give him an almighty foot up the arse and kick him back to where he came from.  Twat.

doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2009, 11:35:01 PM »

I'm fed up of the fact that it is acceptable for there to be  such hatred expressed so readily against the English

Who says that it is acceptable?

thetank

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »

Clarkson can take the piss out of Scottish folk as much as he likes. It's all a joke isn't it? For entertainment and that.
I can't get antsy about that without giving up my right to slag off English people (and I'm not ready to do that.) Smiley

Politicians are fair game, always have been, that won't ever change.

Adding disability into the mix is maybe going a bit too far, but Clarkson wouldn't be funny if he didn't occasionaly skirt the boundaries of what is acceptable. The inevitable consequence of this is that sometimes he's going to fall on the wrong side of the line.

Not enough to get me to stop me watching Top Gear obv.

Good posts btw Tinsel Town, articulated your position well.
Personally I'm against independance, but that's for idealogical rather than political reasons.

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2009, 02:24:17 AM »

"As far as we understand she believes that it wasn't racist, it was meant in jest."

That quote comes from Thatcher's spokesperson.  So because it was in jest, its all ok.

Its unnaceptable.

[/quote]

You've missed the point - almost deliberately it would appear.
A private conversation, bleated by an undisclosed source who's motive is undisclosed - Orwell anyone?
Bongo

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2009, 02:33:53 AM »

I'd be more worried about government policy than someone dropping Thatcher in it (probably because they didn't like her);

Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?
Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:11 AM »

I'm fed up of the fact that it is acceptable for there to be  such hatred expressed so readily against the English

Who says that it is acceptable?

General point - but it express' "national sentiment"; (IMO)

When did Scotland last support an English football team when their own team failed to qualify? Yet if England fail to qualify and Scotland do - the English fans support them...
Murray is a prime example of actively rooting for the opposing team.

There never seems to be an outcry  " in case it offends"

Ismene

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »

I'd be more worried about government policy than someone dropping Thatcher in it (probably because they didn't like her);

I'm afraid I'm missing your point - when i refer to Orwell and double speak - who is it who implements it in the public consciousness and demands culpability - even tho ministerial responsibility seems to be a theoretical concept rather than practical...

And yes - i agree it probably was that someone didn't like her - or more likely didn't like her mother's policies....
thetank

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 03:01:14 AM »

When did Scotland last support an English football team when their own team failed to qualify? Yet if England fail to qualify and Scotland do - the English fans support them...
Murray is a prime example of actively rooting for the opposing team.

You were doing ok, but stay off the sport love.

It's the exclusive domain of men.
Ask Rookie, he'll explain.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:38:17 AM by thetank » Logged

For super fun to exist, well defined parameters must exist for the super fun to exist within.
Ironside
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 03:08:30 AM »

When did Scotland last support an English football team when their own team failed to qualify?

you will be surprised at how many thousands of scots will support england in any comp as long as they are not playing scotland

Come on Ironside.

Give us a chance. You say that in the future we'll be able to stand on our own two feet. We can do that now.

fianacally we cant do it now and i am PRO indepance and was a supporter of the snp for many years

scotland isnt fit enough to stand on its own at the moment  NZ is a whole different ball game done at a much better time for them
and in a totally different part of the world

the SNP used to be a sole give us our own country one policy party

now they are confusing it with other popularist policys like no to nuclear power etc etc and have gotten into the areana of trying to run scotland, they were formed on the understanding they would disband when they got indpendance not try and run scotland
they dont have the politians strong enough to run the country, alex salmon doesnt want to be first minister he would rather be in westminster but the SNP knew they didnt have anyone else capable of being first minister

will we get a vote on independance

not likely as none of the 3 major parties would support a vote,

lend me a beer and I'll lend you my ear
relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2009, 05:17:48 AM »

Splitting the Union would likely just cause all of us to sink further into this current mire that has engulfed us all. Put your national pride and enmity for those across the border aside, there's no longer a place for it. Time to wake up to reality for some people, I think. There's no benefit except economically cripple us both, as well as more evident social side effects.

As for Thatcher and Clarkson, while I am generally an advocate for "Ignorance is not an excuse." I think you have to accept that her generation are unlikely to perceive this as 'insulting' as opposed to the current PC brigade that have blown everything out of proportion and criminalised everything. Jeremy on the other hand was well aware of what he was saying and appreciated that it's an inappropriate comment to make, not least in public.

Personal opinion, of course.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: