blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:13:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2273072 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  AK close to bubble
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AK close to bubble  (Read 2191 times)
MANTIS01

What kind of fuckery is this?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 04:05:50 PM »

It all seems a bit shallow to be raising here. I think the jam is perfectly ok. It's 6-handed around the bubble so your push wont necessarily look like a premium hand. It will look like the bully CL pushing other people around, so you might still get a call anyway. Raising 10k? Does this guy put 10k in out of 35k?? If he does call the pot is like 22k..you have 30k..and he has 25k..so there's no room to play at all..position or no position..one of you will just jam the flop..and he has 1st option to do this vs a hand that misses more times than it hits.

Tikay - "He has a proven track record in business, he is articulate, intelligent, & presents his cases well"

Claw75 - "Mantis is not only a blonde legend he's also very easy on the eye"

Outragous76 - "a really nice certainly intelligent guy"

taximan007 & Girgy85 & Celtic & Laxie - <3 Mantis
Longy
Professional Hotel Locator.
Learning Centre Group

Go Ducks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »

I don't like flatting, we are going to have to play really well postflop to make this profitable.

1) We are inviting multiway action and therefore will have to give up on whiffed flops.

2) When our hand hits it is super obvious. Therefore he will fold all pps

3) If we miss, we are going have to soul read his cbetting range.

I would shove and pick up the dead money in the pot. I don't hate 3betting to 10-12k but once you have done this be prepared to felt any flop.
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »

I flat in position. We might hit and stack a dominated holding. Happy to outplay him after too as it puts him a tough position.
gribbo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

[quote author=Longy link=topic=40329.msg906549#msg906549 date=123540516

I don't like flatting, we are going to have to play really well postflop to make this profitable.

1) We are inviting multiway action and therefore will have to give up on whiffed flops.

2) When our hand hits it is super obvious. Therefore he will fold all pps

3) If we miss, we are going have to soul read his cbetting range.

I would shove and pick up the dead money in the pot. I don't hate 3betting to 10-12k but once you have done this be prepared to felt any flop.
[/quote]

I think this is solid advice man but in my experience of playing smaller live buy in tournies £20-£30 freezeouts a lot of ur edge is going to be from playing post flop poker, pre-flop is the easiest street to play and any1 can just just jam the top % of their hands preflop and take flips, 60/40 for their tournie.

I think with the set up described by evil pie the guy will be playing pretty straight up post flop because he is oop, evil pie has him covered- has a solid image-rep and also tht the bubble in the tournament is approaching. Guys live seem to respect the bubble.

I dont hate jamming with the ak just think it is a lot more profitable to flat and see a flop. Interested to see how this turn out.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 05:24:32 PM »

Thanks for all the interesting responses guys.

As it played out I had put myself in to a tricky spot.

He flatted as expected, the flop came 5 9 Q and he used his position and shoved.

His range in this spot includes 66+, as well as 9T, TJ, JQ, QK type hands. There's only TJ and possibly AJ/KJ that I'm beating, both of which are well within his range here.

I secretly kicked myself under the table and reluctantly passed what could well have been the winning hand.

Thinking afterwards I realised that I had gifted him the perfect opportunity to play this as a stop and go. I'm thinking maybe Longy's idea of committing no matter what the flop and just snap calling would've been a better plan.

The fact that he shoved the Q high flop suggests that I may well have got paid if I'd hit the K. He knows that I can easily have AQ here but obviously wasn't bothered so unless he's hit the Q he seems to have decided pre that he's shoving any flop.

At the time it wasn't a difficult pass but thinking it through maybe I should be calling.

Either that or shove pre to remove any poker playing problems that might occur  Smiley

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

I flat or shove.

Like Alex says, you can win a big pot disguising your hand this way- also a stack behind may decide to squeeze

Shoving sends a message and doesn't always get worse hands to fold. If villian has been very active he may call you with a wider range than usual

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
T_Mar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »

You got like 25bb... Pretty sure this is a an easy shove!
AlexMartin
spewtards r us

rat+rabbiting society of herts- future champ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 06:44:59 PM »

You got like 25bb... Pretty sure this is a an easy shove!

whoa really didnt see how short he was. sorry, yeah this is a v easy shove. Thought u were like 35/40 deep.
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »

Just shove and the calling range of QQ+ is just ridic, unless you have a super tight image,

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Boba Fett
Doctor of Thugonomics

Pain is Temporary!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:51 AM »

There is no room to reraise here with your stack size at all as you can just get owned on flops that you dont hit if he shoves into you like what happened.  With approx 20BBs in this spot you should be jamming every time.

Ya gotta crawl before ya ball!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: