blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:57:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Oven Installation
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oven Installation  (Read 2003 times)
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:42:15 PM »

Bought a new oven (needed too) and it's electric, do I need an electrician to do it or am I allowed to do it?  Silly Q I know, but I believe for gas you need a corgi registered person?  Anyway, I have someone coming for the gas hob, but the oven is electric.  Took the old one out and it looks easy enough, but I don't have one of those silly star type screwdriver things (no, not Phillips) to unscrew the back of the new cooker so can't get the two dirty great big electric cables out.

Can't be hard can it?  It's all turned off at the fuse box and the plug.

AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »

You need a Corgi guy for gas because if you connect it up wrong, gas leaks out and this is bad. However, even if you make a mess of the installation of an electric cooker, you won't end up with clouds of electricity floating around your kitchen.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »

Star drives are cheap from any car accessory shop, or if you pop round to mine, I'll lend you some.

The older I get, the better I was.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »

You need a Corgi guy for gas because if you connect it up wrong, gas leaks out and this is bad. However, even if you make a mess of the installation of an electric cooker, you won't end up with clouds of electricity floating around your kitchen.

True but you might end up burning your house down.

If you're not too sure mate just get a sparky in. Technically you don't need to get someone because it's just a final connection from an existing cooker outlet but if you've not done anything similar before you're better off leaving it.

Sockets are easy because the cables are small. Cooker's have bigger cables and if you don't tighten everything up just right you could end up with problems months or even years down the line even though it works fine now.

It's not worth the risk for how much they'll charge to do it. It should only take them 20 minutes tops so get a price first and pay no more than £30 - £40.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
pizzled

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:55:43 PM »

make sure the connections are tight, should have a L1 and L2 with a link inbetween, this is where the red or brown ( depending on how old your cables are )cable should go, N for black or blue and PE for the earth which you should sleeve.....
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »

Get the Corgi fella to do it at the same time.

You're too tall to do it yourself.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

I've got it all out, looks easy tbh and my Dad used to do something electrical.  We'll give it a bash ourselves I think (see how it went from me to us!)  It was more the legal side of things I was querying.  My Dad's shorter than me, he'll be ok.   The gas guy said he didn't want anything to do with it.  Arse covering I expect but fair enough. 

Cables are red and black and it's obvious where to put them and how to put them in, seems crazy to get someone out to such a simple job.  If there's a loud noise or black smoke over Bracknell, you know it didn't go too well Cheesy   

Red, be round at some point, get the kettle on Smiley  Perhaps I'll find one more local.

tyvm all, been nice knowing you Smiley

Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

Bye bye

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »

Actually the wiring looks similar to when I did my living room lights not long ago and they worked out good.  I'm qualified imo

TheWhisper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 03:26:17 PM »

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

It's a shame Sark's just a plumber otherwise he could have helped.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »

piece of piss just like wiring a plug just bigger cable (6mm)

that is all
Robert HM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

http://www.rooms-direct.co.uk - If you need some furniture, give Shogun a shout, he can do you some discount for Blonde Poker forum members..
cia260895

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »

Click to see full-size image.

that would be gas
Graham C

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 05:11:40 PM »

I have achieved and it feels good  Cool

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »